69. Time to plan

Eunsun: A star for the king

“So he’s behind it all?” Hodong had hurried back to where everyone else was instead of his original plan. Eunsun’s blood grew cold. She had to sit down before shock made her collapse.

“But then,” Nicole’s eyebrows went down to the middle of her head. “Where are they being taken? What’s happening to them?”

“It would have to be somewhere that you would be able to fit a lot of people,” Gyuri thought.

“Like… A prison or something similar,” Changmin had an idea. “Wait… What about the prison in Seoul?”

“It’s worth a shot,” Gyuri agreed and the two hi-fived. Their reaction afterwards was to pretend that it never happened. Hara and Seungyeon began to .

“Yes but how do we go there and find out without being discovered?” Hodong raised the question. “If Changmin goes in there then he’ll be recognized because he’s famous, and you’re the queen.” Eunsun agreed with her uncle. There was no chance of her getting in and out without one camera capturing her face.

“Then we need someone who is close to them but isn’t actually famous.”

“Like a sibling per say?”

“Yunho’s sister,” Eunsun sat there in thought. She had to consider the feelings of JiHye who may not even agree in the first place. “Will she be able to? It may be a hard thing seeing her oppa behind bars.”

“But that’s only if he really is there.” Gyuri counteracted. “Otherwise we have nothing to fear right?” Eunsun wished that she was taking JiHye’s feelings into more consideration. She’d never been to a prison but she could only imagine the emotional strain. Hodong put a hand on Eunsun’s shoulder. “It’s up to you dear, whatever you decide.” Eunsun nodded, she needed to think about it. She stood walking slowly to the phone which she picked up. She dialed the number and left the room for a while.

***

Eunsun returned her heart pounding. They all watched her as she came back and returned the phone.

“She’s going to do it,” they all began to express their triumph.

“So who’ll go with her?” Hodong asked.

“I think one of you should,” Eunsun began. “No one will recognize you hopefully.” Her maids nodded.

“Gyuri and I can go,” Seungyeon volunteered though looking uneasy. Gyuri firmly nodded not showing her inner fear.

“So when can she come?” Jiyoung asked.

“She has to go into Seoul on Tuesday.”

“So that’s two days from now.”

“I will get Eric to pick her up from the train station that morning. She’ll join us for breakfast and then leave with you two.” The volunteers, Gyuri and Seungyeon agreed.

“We can’t tell anyone else what’s happening. Not even Eric.”

“But why can’t we tell him uncle?”

“I don’t know which side he’s on.”

“—definitely not on the one with him,” the group jumped. Eric had come in and over heard their conversation.

“Donggun’s trying to kill all the Christians,” Jiyoung said carelessly.

“I see,” Eric nodded. “And that matters to you all how?” Eunsun glanced at her uncle. She’d been so careful as to not say anything about it to anyone. Not even her husband knew. Did she want Eric, a close friend of hers to be the first instead of Youngmin? Hodong allowed her to go; she departed to her room where she was gone for a minute or two. She walked back, the attention being drawn to her neck. A gold cross hung on a chain.

“Eunsun….” Eric breathed, “Are you…?”

“Both of us are,” Hodong spoke on behalf of his niece who was quiet. “I asked her not to reveal it because of how prejudice this country can be.” A sense of guilt came about them all; they knew that in some way they’d contributed to this. Eunsun couldn’t lift her gaze to him. Eric stood there dumbfounded, unsure as to how he should be reacting.

“Well… I’m disappointed that you didn’t say something sooner,” Eric began as he came towards them. “But it doesn’t affect our friendship,” Eunsun moved her head off her uncle’s shoulder as Eric hugged her. The maids tensed up, Changmin watched them in confusion. Eunsun hugged him back and then quickly let go.

“I am too,” Eric finished making someone in the background gasp. Eunsun smiled, relieved.

“Alright, now what’s the plan?”
***

The group had spent an hour planning how they were going to reveal Donggun’s scheme. Nicole suggested that someone took pictures of the stars in their cells and send it to the press but they needed a link to show how the A.R.S was arresting the people. They needed files from his office.

“So, I can get these while Donggun takes breaks during the week,” Eric suggested as they all sat and had coffee. “Min-Jung can keep Hyori busy with a rather strenuous training schedule.”

“Who’s Min-Jung?” Gyuri asked as the girls laughed when they saw Eric flush.

“A very special woman,” Eunsun answered happy for Eric.

“I have to go,” Changmin finished his drink. “I’m going to stay with my parents until this blows over.”

“Will you be alright?” Hodong asked him. Changmin agreed.

“I’m worried for hyung,” his gaze dismal. “But I can’t seem to do much, it’s the price for being famous.”

“Someday you’ll see him again,” Gyuri told him unexpectedly. Changmin saw her, in his quiet demeanor he smiled.

“Yes, true.”

“I’ll drive him home,” Eric offered.

“Are you sure?” Changmin asked, taken back.

“Sure,” Eric was certain so Changmin decided to agree just to avoid an argument. The two left with Eunsun, the maids and her uncle to finish off the plan.

“Maybe you should invite Donggun to dine with you and Youngmin here?” Hodong suggested. “That way in a private setting you can reveal his devious plans without ruining his integrity.”

“I’m starting to think that he doesn’t have any,” Nicole frowned. Eunsun was about to scold her when Hodong intervened.

“You can invite them on Friday night,” Hodong suggested.

“So soon uncle

“Why are you afraid of what could come as a result Eunsun-ah?” Eunsun stepped away from her uncle staring at him like she didn’t know him.

“Uncle,” she was shaky. “After all this time I’m going to come clean to my husband. The king, the man I love. I’m going to tell him after being married for seven months that I’m a Christian. I don’t know how’s he going to feel afterwards,” the thought bought tears to her eyes. Her maids all hugged and touched her showering her with their support.

“You have to do it. Not for your comfort but for the lives of those who are sitting in that prison guilty of nothing.” He was right, everyone knew it. The queen blinked back the tears that were getting heavy.

“I’ll take to Youngmin as soon as I can.”

“When Eunsun since he’s so busy?!”

“I said as soon as I can!” She didn’t like raising her voice but her Uncle’s impatience was grinding her nerves. Hodong saw she was on edge and backed down.

“We should probably go and clean your quarters,” the maids excused themselves to go do their task. It was just Eunsun and Hodong.

“Eunsun I…” She held her head down, her heart torn between the fears of telling the truth and also the anxiety of what would happen if she was cowardly.

“For the next three days, pray for me. As a result I’ll fast for three days and ask them on Thursday.” Hodong knew that aside from the prayer and fast this plan had some holes. He could see the pressure she was under and decided not to point it out. He had to trust her this time. Their roles were reversed.

“Alright,” he then bowed to her. “I’ll fast too.” Grateful Eunsun thanked him with a small smile.

***

Youngmin came back after a hard time in the office to see his wife asleep at their table. He went up to her running a finger down her shoulder. She stirred from his touch but didn’t wake. In awe of the beauty before him he leaned down and kissed her on the shoulder blade. She shifted more than the first touch however the reaction was the same as last time. He pulled her chair out slightly, draped her arms over his shoulder as he scooped up in his grasp carrying her to their bed.

He placed her in the bed and pulled the covers up before getting ready for bed himself. He checked on Soo-yoon who was asleep in her room. Dressed in his sleepwear he tucked himself under the blankets checking on Eunsun.

“Good night, my queen.” He whispered reaching to turn the lights off. Something stopped him. He looked at Eunsun, her face catching his attention. Her cheek had a peculiar shine to it. His hand went to her cheek to touch. His face fell when he recognized the texture; it was wet. She’d cried herself to sleep. Youngmin redrew for a moment, he felt terrible. He’d only seen her cry once and that was when her uncle had risked his life for him. Now he wondered in his sadness if it had been something he’d said or done that made her shed tears. He would have never guessed that he was indeed the reason though it was through an opposite meaning altogether.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

The end is coming up soon. I won’t update anymore today. This fanfic will probably be finished by next week.