18. One try

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Are you alright Eunsun-ee?” HoDong waited for his niece to answer.

“W-why do you ask?” She asked him anxiously from across the table where they were eating.

“Well… For the past couple of months you’ve been kind of distant, are you at least telling God about what’s bothering you?”

“Yes I have and well he has yet to reply,” HoDong sighed stirring the vegetables around his plate, “can you at least tell me what is wrong?” Eunsun glanced around.

“What if the servants overhear?” She hinted to the men dressed in the buttoned up shirts and black pants with the royal seal embroidered on the pocket.

“Then write it here,” HoDong pushed a serviette across to her with a black biro. Eunsun took the lid off, held the pen in mid air before placing it down to write a small note. She folded the serviette in half and then pushed it along to HoDong. He unfolded it, his eyes reading over what she said.

“WHAT!?” Eunsun stood up to put a finger to her lips. HoDong got to his senses and he calmed down.

‘Did he really?’ He mouthed to her, “yes uncle that’s what he said.”

“Aigoo, didn’t you stay away from him? If I can remember from the last letter you sent me.”

“I did but--,” Eunsun pushed hair off her face, “it still…Is harder than I thought it would be.” Her uncle’s mouth dropped open as he understood what she said.

“Wow, this is something big.” Eunsun nodded again.

“Yes which is why you cannot say anything; it may make things worse—And stop me from coming home sooner…”

“Why do you want to go home now that you’ve confessed how you feel?” HoDong was puzzled, “you should hope to win for yours and his sake.” Eunsun shook her head.

“Being here just makes it hard for me uncle. He has to date seventy three other women before me. The thought of it is just… I’d rather not.”

“Do you want to go home or stay?” Eunsun opened .

“Think about it a bit more first,” HoDong assured her, “pray about it.”

“Thanks uncle.”

***

“Did he say that?!” The girls jumped on the couch at Eunsun almost toppling it over.

“Yes,” Eunsun said, “I’m sorry I wasn’t honest with you until now, but it was kind of hard—“

“But… How do you feel about him? This is his royal majesty we’re talking about.”

“Well…”

“So be honest with us Eunsun,” Jiyoung begged, “do you like, love the king or not?”

“Umm…” Eunsun took a deep breath, “I’m not entirely sure.”  The girls folded their arms, waiting for a different answer, “I’ve never been there before.”

“Does he make your heart skip a beat?” She nodded.

“Do you get all flustered when he looks at you?” She nodded again.

“And do you smile if you think about him?” Eunsun hadn’t thought of that. She spent a moment imagining him in her mind.

“Omo she’s smiling!” One of the girls screamed.

“Ok final question, would you do anything to make him happy?”

“Yes,” Eunsun covered .

“You’re in love!” Jiyoung screamed with the other girls getting happy too, Eunsun stood there flushing.

“This is great,” Nicole came over to her giving her a hug, “now you can go tell him how you feel!”

“Hold on,” they looked to Gyuri, “wouldn’t that be a bit unfair to the other women who barely talk to him that are here in the competition too?” The girls began to contemplate on this.

“That is a good point,” they started to agree, “So when will you tell him?”

“When the times right?” Eunsun didn’t really have a particular time in mind and it was the first thing that came to her head.

“Yeah that sounds good,” the other girls nodded eagerly.

***

Eunsun was walking down the hall after spending time with her uncle when she passed Eric.

“Eunsun-sshi?” She stopped to glance at him.

“Umm can we talk?” Eric seemed to be jumpy as he was checking that no one was spying or watching them.

“Sure,” Eunsun decided it wouldn’t be that important so she agreed to follow him to his office. When they got in Eric went to the door and locked it.

“You seem scared Eric-sshi,” Eunsun observed taking a seat as Eric went to shut and lock the window.

“I can’t let anyone know what I’m doing,” he said as he unplugged his telephone and then turned off his mobile phone.

“Eric-sshi…”

“This is breaking the rules,” Eric began, “but I don’t feel right so I’m scrapping the rules just for tonight.”

“I’m sorry Eric-sshi but I don’t understand why you have to be paranoid.”

“Withdraw from the competition.” This shocked Eunsun into silence. Eric’s eyes were boring into hers, “leave and make the number ninety nine.”

“What? Why do you want me to withdraw?” Eric ran a hand through his hair.

“Didn’t I just make it clear to you why?”

“No Eric-sshi, you haven’t told me why.”

“Because… It’s because I don’t want you to go out with him at all!” Eunsun gasped. “You are number seventy four Kang Eunsun! Why be such a number and just become number one… My number one…” Eunsun blinked as she took in Eric’s cryptic message. She got up from the chair she was sitting in.

“Eric-sshi,” she was cut off as he came over to her placing his lips against hers. Eunsun pushed him off her sending him into the corner of his desk. He groaned as it jabbed him in the hip.

“Eric-sshi I…” She put her hands on her lips, the touch making her sweat, “what have you done?!”

“I shouldn’t have,” Eric moaned, “but I wanted to so badly.” His eyes were full of remorse, “I was happy when I heard what happened with you and Hwang-ee but I also felt bad because of how strongly he feels about you.” He breathed through his nose, “and then I thought. Maybe I should try just this once to show you that you don’t have to wait for the right man to come for you and that I am ready and willing if you would only say yes.” Eunsun’s heart was pounding but not because she was happy. She went to the door and unlocked it.

“Eric-sshi…” She was trembling as she started to open the door, “my feelings… I don’t feel that way for you… I never did and now I don’t think I can trust you anymore...” Looking up at him she said, “I’m sorry if I ever led you on.” She opened the door and sped out. Eric slumped onto the floor a hoarse mournful laugh escaping him.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Yeah now you guys may hate Eric… Sorry I did this, just to add some more fire into the works. Oh boy if you think this was intense see what happens next chapter!