17. It sometimes isn't fair

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Eunsun-ee,” Eunsun looked to Seungyeon who was waiting for her, “I’m worried about Gyuri-ee. She hasn’t gotten out of bed and she looks pale.” Eunsun put down her book and followed her maid to the bedroom where Gyuri was lying feebly.

“Oh dear you don’t look well at all,” Eunsun placed a hand on her forehead, “you seem to be burning up. I’ll get the physician for you.”

“But Eunsun-ee,” Gyuri began, “we aren’t covered by the palace so how would we be able to cover the expenses for his visit?”

“I’ll take care of it,” Eunsun assured her grabbing a coat, “I’ll be back as soon as I can, make sure you take one of her blankets up before she overheats.”

Eunsun fast walked down the flight of stairs to the front reception where she asked about the doctor.

“He lives in a small villa on the opposite side of the gardens,” the secretary said, “you know how to get to the gardens right?” Eunsun nodded, “go past the flower gardens to a large gate, there will be a guard but tell him you need to see the doctor and he will let you through.” She scribbled something on a piece of paper, “Show this to the guard if he asks any questions.” Eunsun smiled at her. “Thank you,” she said before continuing on.

***

She found the gate and bowed to the guard.

“Hello I was wondering if the doctor was in.”

“He is, do you have an appointment?” Eunsun shook her head.

“No it isn’t for me; it’s for my maid…”

“You may go in but be quick,” the guard opened the gate.

“Thank you,” she bowed to him as she went in. It was a traditional style house with the sliding door and a small bonsai garden in the right corner. Forgetting her manners she went straight to the front door and slid it open.

“Hello? Is there anyone there?”

“What do you want?” A cranky voice grumbled startling Eunsun. She turned to see a middle aged man walking over to her.

“Oh I’m sorry to intrude,” she bowed to him, “my name is Kang Eunsun and I—“

“Yes I know you’re one of those women that are chosen to date the king in four months time is that right?” She gave a nod.

“So what is it you want?”

“Well it’s my maid she is sick.”

“So?”

“I was wondering if you would be able to check up on her.”

“Maids don’t have medical insurance.”

“I’m willing to pay no matter the costs.”

“Really? Hmm well in that case let me grab my things,” Eunsun smiled in relief.

“Thank you sir,” he went into the further end of the house and came back a bit later with a bag and shoes on.

***

“She’s here,” Seungyeon showed the doctor to the bedroom and Eunsun went to fill out some paper work for payment.

“Eunsun-ee,” she saw Jiyoung lingering in the doorway, “we appreciate this… Unnie does too.” Eunsun smiled at Jiyoung, “as long as she’s well then that’s all that matters.”

“You really are like a big sister to us,” the bedroom door opened and the doctor came out.


“She has a fever but nothing too serious. I gave her something to ease her temperature and she’s sleeping it off. She will be fine in a couple of days.”

“Thank you once again you don’t know how--.”

“Like I said it’s alright, now about my bill,” he took out a piece of paper and handed it to Eunsun. Her heart fell when she saw the price. Could she really afford it?

“Thank you I will bring the money by later today.” He nodded.

“Good, until then,” he bowed to her and she bowed back, “good day.”

***

Eunsun was tempted to call her uncle and ask if she could borrow it but she remembered seeing something in her bag near the note. She found the envelope that she’d briefly looked at. She opened it up to find the exact amount needed to pay the doctor.

“Thank you Lord,” she said relieved that it was taken care of. She put on her jacket and put the envelope in a pocket for easy access. The maids were eating their dinner except for Gyuri and the place was clean which made the atmosphere feel like a family home.

She strolled through the garden looking up at the sky; there was stars in the sky as well as a full moon that illuminated its pure silver light across the sleeping plants. She came to the guard and handed him the envelope.

“Would you please give this to the doctor and tell him it’s for today?” The guard nodded, opened the gate ajar and went to the doctor’s home. Eunsun leaned against the wall looking up at the moon.

“It’s beautiful,” she said to herself.

“Yes,” Eunsun blinked in shock. She lifted herself upright to see Youngmin standing before her dressed in black track pants, a white t-shirt, sneakers and a red hoodie with the zip undone.

“Y-your majesty,” she bowed to him feeling herself flush. She was in skinny jeans, brown boots, her jacket with a red long sleeved shirt underneath.

“What brings you to this part of the gardens?”

“Oh I just had to give something to the guard.”

“I see,” he nodded, “how have you been?”

“Alright,” Eunsun wanted to keep it short to prevent anything from developing.

“Eunsun-ee I want to…”

“Please don’t be informal,” Eunsun said, “It’s better this way.”

“How is this better?” Youngmin challenged.

“We are being fair to the other women who will have dinner with you before me.”

“What if that doesn’t concern me anymore?”

“What are you saying? You don’t want to be a fair king?!”

“No, that isn’t what I meant.”

“Do you even talk to the other women?”

“Yes,” Youngmin sighed, “but you listen to them and—I can tell they only want to win for the power and the wealth, not anything else. I need a queen who will be there for the people, for Soo-yoon and for…Me.” Eunsun let out a breath not looking at him.

“I was tired of living in a loveless marriage,” Youngmin moved closer to her, “I should have known better than to marry Chayune. I always sensed that she was going to be unfaithful but I still married her as required by my parents.” He ran a hand down his face.

“Then…Why run this competition?”

“It wasn’t my idea it was Erics!” Eunsun let out a breath looking at the king; his eyes were locked onto her. “At first when Chayune left I decided that I was going to find the next queen myself. Go on a few dates, see who I fit best with and so on but then Eric blew it out of proportion and decided to organize this.” The king closed his eyes, “I thought that this was never going to work…” He opened them again they were shimmering, “but then…Then I met you.”

“Your highness,” Eunsun shook her head as he came before her they could touch. He put a hand on her cheek making her shudder from the rush of adrenalin. “If you…Ever betrayed me like she had,” he was looking straight into her eyes, “then you would forever ruin me and I would never love again.” Eunsun seemed to sense his intention so she forced her eyes to stay open.

“You can’t,” she breathed her heart speeding up as he turned his head. The rattle of the gate opening came just in the nick of time. Youngmin’s senses came back and he stepped away from Eunsun. The guard bowed in surprise to him.

“Enjoying an evening stroll your highness?” Youngmin turned and walked off leaving the guard stunned.

“Did I upset him?” He asked Eunsun who shook her head.

“No you didn’t,” she bowed, “thank you,” and left hoping that was the last time she would be confronted with something like that.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Wow it seems we now know how the king feels! Enjoy guys