22. The Long Wait

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Aigoo I wonder how long it’s been,” Seungyeon commented as HoDong and Eunsun were talking in Eunsun’s suite. The two stopped to look at Seungyeon; she was standing by the window with Gyuri and Hara.

“What are you guys watching?” Eunsun asked.

“His majesty with lady number twenty,” Gyuri stated with little enthusiasm, “look at how she flips her hair and her laugh; faker than her s no doubt.”

“Don’t be mean unnie,” Seungyeon warned her, “She may be the one to be the next queen.”

“No way, the king’s good at pulling a straight face but he’s tiring her.”

“She has a good point,” Hara interjected. Seungyeon sighed and Eunsun laughed with HoDong.

“They are sweet girls aren’t they?” He told her.

“They are like the sisters I never had,” Eunsun admitted to him, “they really look out for me though sometimes it feels like I’m their mother.”

“True,” HoDong chuckled, “so how is Soo-yoon the quiet princess?”

“She’s visiting her mother at the moment,” Eunsun explained, “Hwang thought it would be best for her so she could decide where she wants to stay.” Eunsun made a sad smile, “it’s not the same having her around. We were busy with the final months that I didn’t spend much time with her and now I regret that I didn’t even get to say goodbye.”

“You’ll see her soon enough,” HoDong said, “and I was thinking… I may look for your parents.” Eunsun stared at him unable to say anything.

“Uncle… I thought that you didn’t…”

“Having Soo-yoon with her step father must have reminded you about you and what it may have been like with your father. I want you to be happy and not worry about it.”

“I was only seven HoDong-ee, I can’t remember a lot.”

“Consider it a gift from me,” Eunsun leaned over the table to hug her Uncle.

***

Time passed by and soon a lot of the candidates ended up having to leave after their one date with the king. There were less people at the breakfast tables the day after each date. Soon there was only half of the women left.

“I can’t believe Ahn Sooyoung left,” one of the women stated, “she was gorgeous and yet the king said no to her too. Who on earth is he going to pick?”

“I bet he will choose me.”

“Not before he chooses me!”

“Yah you two are both wrong, he’ll go past you and straight to me.”

“Actually I believe eighty one is his lucky number so he’ll come to me.”

“Or it could be worse, he could choose Eunsun.” There was wicked laughter from forty other women, Eunsun sat eating her breakfast, trying not to show her hurt.

***

That morning she went to the makeup and beauty consultant who gave her some basic products that she could use to glam up her face. A simple powder, BB skin for when she didn’t want to wear foundation, a palette of twelve eye shadow colours ranging from a deep pink to a chocolate brown as well as some other random selections of gold, silver, a peacock green and a deep orange. She also received a mascara to make her lashes longer and another to make them thicker as well as a brown, a black, a dark blue and a purple eyeliner pencil.

“Don’t forget the lips,” the beautician added giving her two sticks of different pinks and one deep red, a clear lip balm, and some lip glosses that made her lips either brown, red or a pink that shined.

Then there was also nail varnish which Eunsun had been reluctant to get at first. But she ended up taking four colours she liked, a mocha brown, pale purple and pink and a light cream one. They even gave her a set of fake nails that she could wear for her date with the king. It all seemed too much so she had to leave before she couldn’t carry anymore.

Then there was also jewelry. Eunsun didn’t wear a lot so she was given a range of different items so she got use to it. Large beaded necklaces in monochromatic tones, simple pendants in the shape of a heart or a flower. Gem studs as well as a pair of gold hoops and some dangly earrings that were like waterfalls as they dangled in intricate waves.

***

“Eunsun-sshi?” Eunsun turned to the guard who was standing at her open door, “it’s your turn to have your meeting with Eric-sshi.” She closed her book and followed him to Eric’s office. Something seemed different about his office. The grandfather clock was gone and there was a cactus on his desk instead of the plant he had before.

“Eunsun…” Eric was speechless when he saw her. Her cut hair had grown out a bit but the layers and part were still evident. She had applied BB cream and a small smidge of purple eye shadow. Her cheeks had some blush and lips were a pale pink. She was dressed in the grey maxi dress that emphasized her waist with the cord belt. On her feet was a pair of black gladiator sandals. The only jewellery she had was a large black bangle that was covered in felt.

“Wow look at you,” he said as she took a seat, “it’s like I’m looking at a different woman.”

“How are you Eric-sshi?” She asked feeling embarrassed by his complimenting.

“I’m well thank you,” he said still grinning from ear to ear, “the girls must be jealous of you by now. You were pretty before but now they’d better be…”

“Can we please not talk about it?” Eunsun asked, “I’m supposed to find out what I’m meant to do to ready myself for my date with the king.”

“Ah yes,” Eric leaned forward, his face still studying her, “do you want to know what he likes? Do you intend to win?”

“I…” She wasn’t sure, at first she had wanted to go home. But now things were different. She’d fallen for the king and had gotten use to being here.

“I don’t know,” she said disappointed with herself, “I don’t have much of a chance compared to the other women here. I haven’t even spoken to his majesty since the last time and even then…” She felt overwhelmed with emotion, “I think I’m causing him hurt by being here.”

“He’s a grown man he can deal with it,” Eric , “anyway… I am going to let you in on some tips that I didn’t share with the other contestants.” He opened up his drawer and pulled out a manila file. He opened it and pushed it towards her. There was a sample of fabric, some notes scribbled on a paper and even a piece of tissue which said ‘sniff here.’

“This contains the key ingredients to ensure that you have the upper hand,” Eunsun touched the fabric. It was a dark blue almost similar to the royal blue but with more purple.

“That’s his favorite color,” Eric showed her the tissue, “this tissue contains some of his mother’s perfume. He is close with his parents and while he keeps a letter his father wrote to him on the night of his coronation this is the exact fragrance that she wore on the coronation.” Eunsun took a sniff of the perfume. It was a mixture of rosemary, lavender and a musk that blended well.

“He prefers silver jewelry over gold, that’s why his wedding ring is silver…” Eric sighed, “he hasn’t been wearing it though. I guess it reminds him of Chayune. One more thing,” Eric was going off the top of his head now, “he would rather politeness over confidence. Wait your turn before saying anything and be careful not to use coarse language. According to the guards he nearly choked on his wine the other night when candidate number forty eight said that living here would be f****** awesome,” Eunsun was shocked while Eric laughed.

“Oops I forgot… Anyway,” he stood up, “that’s all I need to share from you.”

“Eric,” Eunsun said with a grateful grin, “how will I ever be able to thank you.” Eric made a closed smile too, “become queen for me will you? I want to be able to come say hi to you without having to leave the grounds.” Laughing Eunsun nodded as she walked over to Eric giving him a surprise hug, “I’ll do my best.” Still surprised Eric managed to return the hug though silently prayed that Hwang wasn’t going to see this.
***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Yay! The next chapter will be exciting! I can’t wait to write it and for you all to read it!