62. Bow to me

Eunsun: A star for the king

The day came for the execution. Tension was rising in the place and everyone waited to hear what happened.


Eric came to their quarters dressed in a bland grey suit while Donggun had a wife beater on.


“We’re ready your majesty.” Youngmin got up from kneeling next to Soo-yoon. He was dressed smart with a broach pin on his pocket with the royal symbol on it.


“I’ll be back to put her to bed,” Youngmin said to Eunsun just touching her lightly on the shoulder to say ‘bye.’ Eunsun watched them leave with her husband, she felt pained by the situation.


“Lord, I should be relieved right? But since when did we go back to the times of the Old Testament?”

“Their trial may not have seemed fair here on earth,” Hodong had heard what she’d prayed aloud, “but when their souls have left earth they will get judged equal to every other man and woman whose gone before them.” Eunsun understood what her uncle was saying.

 

“You’re right,” she said smiling as Soo-yoon continued to draw in peace, “she’s really good isn’t she uncle?” She held up a picture Soo-yoon had just completed. There was four people in obscure shapes. Two had yellow triangle shapes on their heads while one of the females was drawn shorter.


“Whose that potato?” Hodong pointed at the one on the end. Eunsun asked Soo-yoon with sign and Soo-yoon responded.


“Uncle that’s you,” they both laughed heartily.


“The heart of a child is indeed precious,” Hodong said with his niece agreeing.


***


Hodong left their quarters at eight pm that night. He almost bumped into Donggun. He stared at the guards close by. They were on their knees bent over with their arms straight.


“Why are they on the ground like that?”

“Isn’t it obvious? It’s protocol that all inferior subordinates are to bow to me when I walk by,” Donggun replied with an air to his voice.


“Funny, I didn’t get the memo.”

“It was only introduced last week,” Hodong wasn’t amused by the sarcasm.


“So go on,” Donggun shoved his arm, “bow to me.”

“I only bow to the king,” Hodong scoffed, “and you are not him. Now if you excuse me.” He pushed Donggun aside as he went off, pulling up his pants on the way.


“Why did you do that sir?” One of the guards who had just resumed positions asked, “We are meant to bow to him.”

“I don’t bow just to anyone,” Hodong replied, “why ruin my dignity for someone whose position is not that equal to royalty?” He didn’t stop to let him ask any further questions.


“Something’s up with that man,” Donggun muttered to himself as he sat at his desk, “even Eric bows to me and he’s more spineless than that pig.”

 

***

Eric came to the royal quarters a few minutes after Hodong had left. Eunsun was sitting with Soo-yoon asleep in her lap. Her head was against her left shoulder, arms drooping from the deep slumber. She seemed angelic in her long white night gown.

 

“Am I disturbing you?” Eric asked taking a seat in a chair next to them. Eunsun shook her head.


“You look tired, how did it go?” Eric gave a tired smile.


“It was pretty horrible,” he held his hands in his lap. “I’d never been to an execution before and well it’s not something I would like to attend again.”

“I’m glad I didn’t have to go,” Eunsun breathed out, “I don’t think I would have been able to take it.”

“Mm,” Eric nodded, “I didn’t think I would be able to sit through such a thing, Donggun seemed desensitized to the carnage but it doesn’t matter about me. Has Youngmin been here since we returned?”

“No I haven’t seen him, why?”

“He was tight lipped about it and spoke only when he had to,” Eric’s eyes expanded slightly, “he’s normally quiet but the way he spoke…. When he does that I get concerned.” Eunsun swallowed, she couldn’t have imagined how he would have felt.


“He may need time to himself,” she suggested, “If he isn’t here by midnight then I will get help.”

“Are you sure?”


“I think that’s what he would want,” to be honest Eunsun didn’t know how to relate to him regarding this situation. She’d been rather solitary around him.


“Alright then,” Eric moved from his seat, “I should get going. I need to organize his schedule for tomorrow.”


“Alright, good night Eric,” she smiled at him.

“Night Eunsun,” he bowed and was on his way. Eunsun stood her legs suffering from pins and needles. She carried Soo-yoon to her bed, kissed her on her forehead and then turned the light off.


***

Eunsun became worried when it reached eleven forty five and Youngmin had still not come. She yawned, her eyes heavy from being awake at this hour. The idea of not being able to wait up for her husband seemed disloyal but it was the least she felt she could do. The door opened, someone entered in a stagger.


“Eunsun-ah are you around?” She rose abrupt walking briskly to the main living area. Youngmin was standing by the table leaning against it with a hand.


“Sorry I’m so late,” he slurred his words.


“Youngmin,” she walked over to him, the stench of beer evident from a metre away.


“Honey,” he said his eyes misty, “I’m sorry I’ve been such an .”

“Whoa, whoa what’s wrong?” So he became emotional when drunk.


“I’ve done a terrible thing,” he wiped his eyes, “I killed someone today.”

“No you didn’t, you didn’t kill them.”

“But I did,” he said while she rubbed his back, “I told them to shoot and they did.” He struggled to hold back a sob, “I said to those men, ‘fire’ and they did.” He struggled with the flow of his raw emotion, “they didn’t even fight…They just let themselves be shot over and over again.” His gaze was at the ground which was now getting wet from trickles of tears, “I’m no king…I’m a murderer.” He shut his eyes scrunching his face to try and stop any more rainfall but it found its way through the corners of his eyes.


“Youngmin,” Eunsun was full of compassion as she put her arms around him in a side hug, “I’m so sorry about how I’ve acted.” She felt herself choke up, “I should have been supporting you instead of avoiding you.” She hugged him tighter, “I didn’t stop and think about how you would be feeling.” Youngmin’s free arm lifted up and found her waist. He clung to her with one arm firm.

 

“I shouldn’t be crying,” he said sounding almost sober again. Eunsun shook her head.


“No you can, you can around me,” she lifted a hand to wipe his eyes with her thumbs; “you’ve been hiding how you real feel haven’t you?” He stopped leaning on the table, his other hand around her waist so she had to adjust herself, standing straight on with him. He leaned his forehead against hers, the tears gently gliding off his cheeks. They touched hers like a soft shower. She closed her eyes letting him cry undisturbed.


“Come on,” she said after a while when his eyes were dry, “let’s get you to bed.” With her hand in his, her other hand on his shoulder she slowly maneuvered him to their bedroom. She knelt by his feet undid the laces on his shoes so he could kick them off. Then it was loosening the tie, slipping off the jacket and ing the shirt so it could slide off his muscular torso.


“There,” she patted his chest, “better?” He nodded like a young boy.


“Good, now breathe on me,” he let a breath fall on her face.


“Hmm. Your breath is rather bad,” she smiled playfully, “but that can be fixed. Wait while I grab your toothbrush,” she kissed him on the bridge of his nose before going to the bathroom. After applying the paste she went to his bed.


“Say ah.”

“Ah,” she placed it in his mouth. A hand rose to take the end of the brush but Eunsun batted it away.


“Nah uh, I’m going to do it ok?” She winked at him with the little aegyo she had but it made his eyes twinkle nonetheless. Once this was done she led him to the bathroom to rinse and spit and then they went to their bed.


“Come here,” Eunsun patted the space on the bed closest to her. He obliged and she naturally changed her position so she had her arms around him.

“I should be doing this,” Youngmin told her.

“its fine,” she traced the line of his parting, “you do so much for me and yet I never can do enough for you.”

“Actually there is one thing,” he said sitting up against the pillows.


“What is it?”

“Take that off.”

“Oh so you’re suddenly sober?” She let out a giggle as he reached for one of the straps.


“Of course,” he raised his eyebrows lewdly as he pounced.


****************************************************************************************************

Yeah… Just for the sake of the youngling’s here I have stopped it there for a reason. Well the plot is picking up but it may end up being the next chapter where the becomes more evident. The only spoiler I will give is that the bad guy will be revealed.