2. A queen no more

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Well done for last night,” HoDong said to Eunsun as they sat around the table for breakfast, “I think the court was pleased with the food and we’ll be getting the money within a couple of days.”

“That’s great uncle,” Eunsun said as she blew on her food to cool it, “that means you can buy a truck you’ve been dreaming of.”

“I think that’s still a way away,” HoDong said finishing his food and taking Eunsuns’ cup to fill with tea. He pressed the button on the television to turn it on. It was the news with the typical reporter.

“On other news Korea no longer has a queen.” Eunsun turned to the screen as footage was played of a woman being escorted to a car while the paparazzi came around clicking their cameras.

“Queen Chayune was seen leaving the palace at seven forty five this morning with five of her servants carrying suitcases and other belongings. The news came out shortly after the king had a meeting with the ministers. According to the Courts of Korea the only reasons that the queen will be banished and removed is if she is found having an illegitimate affair or if she showed dishonor towards the Royal family and other parties. There will be an official statement made by the king later on today.”

“How terrible,” HoDong said as he filled the sink, pouring in some soap, “what are we going to do without a queen?” Eunsun had to agree. Though Chayune was known to have a bad temper at times she had done some good as queen. She had been generous with donating to homeless shelters and orphanages and even done clothes drives to give to the parts affected from disasters. Japan had been grateful for the donations.

“I’m sure they will find a new queen,” Eunsun said getting up and turning the television off and taking her bowl and fork to the kitchen to wash up, “God’s already decided on who she is.” Her cousin smiled at her profound words.

“You really have quite a maturity despite your young age,” he said as she went to dry things.

“I’m only twenty eight,” she did mehrong making him laugh and she joined in too.  

***

The days were usually spent doing whatever they needed to do. For HoDong it would be cleaning the vans and other equipment as well as going to work on the small space they bought where they were going to build an office. Eunsun had to do grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning and take appointments from emails and phone calls. It was pretty busy.

“We received the money,” Eunsun said to HoDong while she was going through the mail. She handed him the envelope with the royal symbol. He opened it and his mouth dropped.

“Omo…. One hundred million won?!” He gasped; Eunsun dropped the rest of the envelopes. She quickly crouched and gathered them up again.

“I’ll have to go to the bank,” he went to hug Eunsun and grabbed the car key, “I’ll be back soon.” Eunsun went to do the laundry and then she was back in the garden. She looked at the rose bush. It was small but it finally had a flower. A small red rose. She smiled as she looked at it and then looked at the other flowers. She was delighted at how well the tulips and daffodils were growing though there wouldn’t be much to give at the markets. She went inside to turn the radio on to listen to it while gardening.

“And onto the hottest topic for the day; Queen Chaeyune is now rumored to be on a plane to America.”

“Really, what is she doing going there?”

“Well she can’t stay here anymore right? She was banished and now has to live elsewhere,” this caught Eunsuns’ attention who didn’t move while they continued to talk.

“Oh yeah true; did we find out why she was banished?”

“No but we have a copy of the kings’ actual statement to the press right here,” there was rustle of papers from their end. “Ok, it says here that the king apologized to the public for the sudden dismissal but it was found to be the most suitable action to take with the situation.”

“Right and do we know if he’s planning to remarry again?”

“Well according to the Treasurer there are already plans of crowning a new queen. Rumor has it that there will be a random draw where one hundred women will be chosen to live in the palace for a year where they will be treated and shown the life of a royal. After the year is over they will all have one date with the king and he will choose his queen there.”

“Ah fascinating. So unlike in the past where it was chosen based on position of power he gets to go out with one hundred lovely women to choose one. I’m jealous I admit.”

“Yeah I am too,” the presenters laughed while Eunsun frowned.

“That isn’t nice. It wouldn’t be easy for him to do that. Would it God?” She looked up at the blue sky where a few clouds were loosely scattered.

“But still, if that’s how they will do it then I guess maybe it could work.”

A new queen hey? Hmm… I hope we liked this. Thanks for reading.