44. Knowing what is right but not giving reason

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Hmm,” Youngmin scanned over the paper after reading it, he looked at Eunsun who was sitting almost at the edge of her seat. “So you are proposing that we actually pass a bill where this becomes legal?”

“That’s right,” the man sitting opposite them said, “however you would have to be above a certain age though in order to have the procedure and it would be done in the safest way possible for the patient. We are already discussing the possibility of having a special clinic in the hospitals so the clients won’t have to look up the clinics.” Youngmin looked at Eunsun who was clutching the fabric on her skirt tight.

“Well? What do you think? Should we allow for this?” Eunsun looked at the man who was sitting there waiting for an answer.

“I think…” She paused, “that we would be committing murder by allowing this to pass.” There was a sigh from Eric and the man got out of his seat.

“Well it seems that we have yet to come to an agreement, shall I come by later this week?” Youngmin turned to Eric, “my assistant here will book you in for another appointment if we decide to pass it.” The man nodded.

“Alright then,” he bowed to them both, “thank you for your time.” With that he left and Eric closed the door. Youngmin let out a breath, “what was that about?”

“I’m sorry but I don’t agree with it.”

“Agree with what exactly?”

“Well… The idea of abortion at all,” Eunsun stated, “don’t you see what is wrong with it?”

“It’s just a means of birth control…”

“It’s killing a human life!”

“But what if the person didn’t mean to get pregnant?”

“Then what are they doing sleeping around?!” Eunsun found she was standing up, both of them were looking at her.

“Eunsun-ah… You’ve been acting strange this past month. We’ve had two other bills come and you’ve turned them down too, why?”

“Firstly, why do we even want to have nuclear power here? It’s dangerous.”

“The area where they wanted to build was going to be isolated and the nearest town being fifty kilometers away.”

“Ok then but what about making ion legal? Do we really want men to be unfaithful to their wives and not to mention the poor women who get all sorts of ually transmitted diseases just from one pay?”

“Ok so we understand that but what I don’t get is why you don’t want abortion clinics to be available?”

“Didn’t I just make it clear?”

“Well an opinion without reason is nothing, why do you think we will be killing a human life?”

“Because….” She clenched her shaking fists at her sides. Her heart was pounding from the fear, “because I just think so!” With that she went to the door and closed it. Eric stared at Youngmin.

“Youngmin-ee you aren’t just going to--?”

“--Let her she isn’t herself lately,” Youngmin leaned back in his seat, “but…She may never forgive me if I do agree to this without going over it with her one last time.” Eric nodded.

“Do you think she’s stressed about the wedding? It is less than two months away and the living arrangements for her Uncle are still a mess.”

“I don’t know,” Youngmin wrote something down on a paper pad, “but whatever it is I hope she will be alright to see the wedding photographer. We need to decide what package to purchase.” He tore it off, “see to it that her uncle’s rental history is cleared if there are any problems found by the estate agent and let me know the cost of the moving.” Eric nodded and was on his way.

***

“He wanted to pass it?” HoDong asked Eunsun as they sat at the table eating a mousse that Nicole had the courtesy of making for them as well as for the other maids.

“Yes but I told him that I didn’t agree.” HoDong became alarmed.

“Did you say anything about…You know.” Eunsun shook her head.

“No, I wanted to but…” She sighed, “Then I remembered that I couldn’t.” Her face became sad as she added, “it’s the third bill this month that I’ve had to decline in favor of passing. He thinks I’m not myself and I haven’t changed. In all honesty nothing’s changed, but this…”

“I know,” HoDong patted her on the shoulder, “it must be hard sometimes. But don’t forget that there are people here who may dislike you for your faith as well as mine. It isn’t safe for you to say anything until your position on the throne is secure.”

“Gee Uncle the way you are talking makes it sound like you are living vicariously out of me.” HoDong opened his mouth only to close it.

“Sorry,” Eunsun realized what she’d said, “I’m just stressed that’s all. Having all these bills and not being able to say why I disagree with them because it means that I have to tell them I am Christian is tough.” HoDong nodded.

“I imagine so,” HoDong said, “but someday you will be able to.” He got up and took Eunsun’s empty bowl.

“I have to be on my way, I have an early appointment tomorrow morning to inspect the new place Hwang-ee has designated for me.”

“Ok,” Eunsun hugged her uncle, “thank you for visiting.”

“Have a good night,” he told her as he left. Eunsun joined her friends at the couch watching a film.

“Thank you for dessert,” Eunsun turned to Nicole who smiled gratefully.

“You’re welcome, my eomma taught me how to make it when I visited her.”

“I see,” Eunsun could only nod for her heart was aching again. It wasn’t even a month since she’d discovered but it still hurt at times.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

A short chapter but to the point it would be hard having to say ‘because I said so.’ I know I can’t stand it when people can’t give me reasons behind their opinion so imagine how irritated Eunsun’s been at times and what on earth do those people do for a living asking for ion or nuclear plants to be in Korea? The wedding is not far away so be excited for that chapter!