34. Deep and personal

Eunsun: A star for the king

“I am Girls generation Sooyoung-sshi bringing you tonight a KBS exclusive with the king of Korea his royal majesty Youngmin-sshi and his fiancée Kang Eunsun-sshi. A month ago KBS asked the public to send in their questions that they would like to know about the future queen to be and his majesty’s own personal thoughts about particular issues. Now for the first time you will get to see Eunsun-sshi in the flesh.” Someone said cut as the cameras moved to focus on Eunsun and Youngmin. Eunsun felt herself tense up in front of the lens.

“Relax,” Youngmin whispered in her ear, “you will be fine.”

“Your majesty,” Sooyoung bowed in her chair, “thank you for agreeing to come.”

“It’s a pleasure,” Youngmin smiled back, completely at ease with it all. He looked to Eunsun, “would you like to introduce yourself?”

“Hello everyone,” Eunsun said before bowing, “I am Kang Eunsun-sshi and I am happy to be here.” She made herself smile which she released once the cameras were focused on Sooyoung again.

“So tell me about how you two met?” Youngmin glanced at Eunsun, who nodded to him.

“Well…We met actually in the palace,” he made a short laugh as he added; “my personal assistant Eric-sshi planned this competition where a particular number of women came and lived in the palace. Eunsun-ee was one of those women.” Eunsun agreed with a gentle smile.

“Aww that’s sweet,” Sooyoung glanced at the paper before her, “we were wondering if we would be able to see the ring.”

“Eunsun-ee?” Eunsun took her hand off her lap and held it up; the camera came in close to the ring.

“So tell us about this ring.”

“It was personally designed by Henri Daussi in America. It is made with Fine silver which means it contains less other elements than normal sterling silver. The diamond is one carat and is surrounded by smaller point twenty five diamonds which are the petals for the flower. There are only two imperfections or as he described to me VVS very very slight inclusions.”

“Wow and how much would that have approximately cost?”

“More than what Eric-sshi earns in a year,” Youngmin joked and the two laughed.

“Ok, Eunsun-sshi,” Sooyoung said, “now what is the one thing that you like most about your fiancée?”

“Hmm…” Eunsun had to think for a moment, Youngmin took her hand aware that the camera had caught this action.

“Well…His majesty has a lot of good…”

“You can use his name,” someone said from behind the camera. Donggun folded his arms looking at his watch.

“Oh ok.”

“Let’s do that again,” the director said as they had to record again. Sooyoung asked the question again.

“Hwang-ee,” saying his name in public informally bought a smile on her face immediately, “has many good qualities, but the one thing I like about him the most is his kindness. He treats everyone with respect and is considerate of their opinions.” There was a few awws from the camera people and other crew while Donggun said “get me a bucket.”

“We’ll cut that out,” the director whispered to the cameramen.

“Next question,” Sooyoung went down the list, “Have you two thought about where you’ll be having the ceremony?”

“I’ve actually booked the church in Yeouido, the one run by Reverend David Yonggi Cho-sshi and have asked him to marry us.” Eunsun was happy to hear about this. She’d wanted to visit the church before and now she had the opportunity of a lifetime to get married in it.

“Wow sounds like you’ll be having a lot of guests. Eunsun-sshi is your family happy about the wedding?” Eunsun nodded.

“Yes they are.”

“I have a question from the viewers; they want to know how large Eunsun-sshi’s family is.”

“It’s me and my Uncle HoDong-ee,” she said straight in the camera.

“Cut,” the director whispered into Sooyoung’s ear. Sooyoung said something back to him which wasn’t audible to the couple sitting in anticipation. Donggun got interested and stepped closer to the set.

“So, it’s just you and your uncle? No other family?” Eunsun immediately felt like she was in a horrible dream. She’d been trying so hard not to think about it but now it’d been bought up, it was only a painful reminder of the uncertainty that had not been removed.

“Can we skip that question?” HoDong asked with as much politeness as he could muster at that moment.

“No we want to have an answer,” came someone from behind the camera. Sooyoung bit her lip as Eunsun swallowed.

“Do you want him to fire you?” Donggun demanded storming around to intimidate the person. Hwang wanted to get out of his seat but he knew Donggun wouldn’t get carried away.

“Eunsun-ee?” Hwang turned her head to him so she was giving eye contact, “you don’t have to answer this if you don’t want to.”

“No it’s ok,” she shook her head, “I have a mother and father but right now I am not sure of where they are. I hope they watch this with a happy heart and a smile.” Eunsun let out a breath of relief as Hwang hugged her around the side.

“Well done,” he said letting go of her.

“Alright,” Sooyoung managed to make her expression more comfortable again, “how many children do you want to have?” Hwang winked at Eunsun causing her to blush.

“I’m happy with three to four,” Eunsun said smiling.

“I like that idea too,” Hwang agreed, “the more the merrier.”

“Of course,” Sooyoung went to the next question, “now your majesty what is the thing that drew you to Eunsun-sshi?”

“Hmm,” Hwang leaned back in his chair, “like she said before there’s many times I like about her.” He took her hand making her flush at his will, “the thing that made me decide she had to be mine was her smile,” this caught everyone by surprise even Eunsun who had been expecting something different. They waited for him to continue:

“The first time I saw it, it was a shy smile like the kind of smile a girl gives a high school teacher she has a crush on,” there was smiles from the crew behind the cameras as he continued, “and as corny as this sounds, every time she smiles it is a smile that seems more confident than the first without being overly proud or haughty. So when she smiles it makes me think to myself, I want her be confident and believe in herself so she will be a queen that the people of this nation will love her just as much if not more than I do. Not because I believe in her but because of her kindness, genuineness and loving nature to everyone she speaks to.”  There was the sound of awing from the cast as well as those wiping their eyes. Sooyoung had tears down her cheeks, Eunsun’s eyes were glistening too but she kept any approaching sobs down as she gazed at the man she was engaged to who was looking at her with a loving gaze.

“Cut can we get makeup in here?” A makeup artist with a pallet went around to Sooyoung who dabbed her eyes before the artist applied new eyeliner and mascara.

“Nice one,” Donggun said to Hwang, “this will help their ratings.” Hwang frowned before Sooyoung had to get his attention.

“That really was beautiful,” Sooyoung said to him, “no wonder you are in love with him Eunsun-sshi.”

“That is true,” Eunsun agreed turning to Sooyoung, “I wouldn’t have him any other way.”

“Ok next question, we know that his highness has a deep interest in music and we want to know what it is that Eunsun-sshi likes to do in her spare time?”

“I am currently learning sign language at the moment,” Eunsun began, “but when I’m not learning that I enjoy gardening and designing flower arrangements.”

“Wow does that mean you will be doing the flowers for your own wedding?”

“I hope so,” Eunsun laughed, “but if not then I will be happy to help whoever will be.”

“Good now onto another possibly deep question. Eunsun-sshi do you have a religion or particular belief system?” Eunsun’s heart plummeted, this was worse than the family question. How was she supposed to answer it? Was she supposed to lie and fear the consequences later on or did she tell the truth and break the promise she had with her Uncle?

“Eunsun-sshi?” Hwang squeezed her hand waking her from the day dream.

“Umm…I have been thinking about it,” this answer caused Donggun to silently gasp while Hwang looked at her stunned himself, “but at the moment no I haven’t any particular beliefs or religions.” There was tension in the air as they quickly moved on, Donggun went over and spoke to Hwang causing the cameras to stop again. Nobody could hear what Donggun was saying to Hwang but from the expressions on their faces everyone knew it was serious. Eunsun’s mouth went down at the sides; Sooyoung leaned forward and touched her hand.

“I’m sure it will be fine,” Sooyoung said comfortingly. Eunsun nodded.

“Ok we’ll be back in ten minutes,” the director said, “take a break.” Sooyoung got out of her chair and stretched her legs.

“Would you like a drink?” She asked Eunsun who seemed more than happy to.

“Sure,” she got out of her chair; Hwang paid no attention to her who was still talking to Donggun.

***

They went to the vending machine where Sooyoung glanced at the drinks.

“To be honest…” Eunsun began, “I actually have a belief…” Sooyoung nodded as she selected her drink.

“I am…Christian.”

“W-wha-?” the drink crashed down into the bottom of the machine. Sooyoung took it out, “that’s great!”

“R-really, you aren’t disappointed?”

“No because I am too,” she said in a hushed voice, “but…It’s hard when…Your fans can’t know about it.” Eunsun nodded.

“Yeah it must be tough.”

“We’ll have to pray for each other,” Sooyoung put her hand on her shoulder, “also we have a Bible study for some of us who are Christians too. You’re welcome to come whenever you are free.”

“Thank you.” She picked a drink and went back with Sooyoung to the studio.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
So what did we think? It bought up some interesting (and also sweet) things regarding Eunsun and Hwang. Look forward to the next chapter where we meet Shinhwa!