28. The best surprise

Eunsun: A star for the king

Four days after she’s seen her uncle Eunsun came to the dining room to find that the women were together with their bags piled up on one end.

“What’s going on?” She asked as she took a seat.

“We’re going home,” one of them huffed folding her arms before her, “seems this whole competition was a waste of time for us.”

“Hold on two of you are missing,” Eunsun said counting them in her head, “Jungee and Hanyeon-sshi aren’t here.”

“You’re right,” they all began talking, “I wonder if the king’s picked one of them.”

“But they were near the end of the list…”

“Still why aren’t they here then?”

“Ladies,” they all watched as Eric came in, he was in a black blazer with a deep blue shirt which was ed, “sorry about the short notice. Thank you for being here and I look forward to seeing you all at the coronation of the new queen.” There were murmurs, some ungrateful.

“Who is it anyway?” One woman asked him, “Two of us are missing from here.”

“It will be revealed next week,” Eric calmly told them, “now that you’ve eaten you will be escorted to your rides home.” The women all got up and went to their bags, Eunsun stood but realized she didn’t have a bag.

“Eric-sshi… I don’t have my things packed.”

“That’s not a problem I’ve got your maids to carry your bag to the entrance,” Eunsun nodded.

“OK then… Where are they?”

“I believe they will be going back to your suite to do a final clean,” Eunsun nodded.

“But enjoy breakfast first of all,” Eric encouraged her getting her to sit down. He called for a servant who bought her a pancake. She was about to pour some maple syrup when she saw something showing from the arrangement of the icing sugar.

‘Return to your suite at ten thirty,’ it read; wondering if she had seen that right, she glanced at the clock which was twenty minutes away from the time. She decided to eat regardless.

“Ok so are we all set in there?” Eric asked as he stood outside of Eunsun’s suite. The servants nodded.

“Excellent now we need to get the final touches done.” He clapped his hands and they were off leaving the door unlocked.

***

A minute after ten thirty Eunsun wiped with the serviette and went back to her suite, she took a sad and deep breath. She had been dreading this moment, saying goodbye to her maids. She stepped towards the door and opened it, the smell of flowers overpowering her senses. She blinked as she entered her suite full of roses. Red, white, pink roses as well as some tulips in these same colours were placed all around on the surfaces, resting in nooks and crannies and some tied in bundles with ribbons.

“What is this?” She said as she looked around being careful not to step on any, “is it my birthday?” She looked at the calendar. That was next month.

“Hmm I guess not…” She saw the edge of a white envelope with a pink heart stone sealing it. She lifted it and read what it said.

“Look for the yellow tulip,” she glanced at the mass of flowers. She had no idea where to start so began the tedious task of looking around; under the table in doors and drawers as well as behind cushions. She then went to her bedroom where she couldn’t find anything there either. Finally she went to the bathroom where she spotted a blur of yellow attached to the shower. She stepped inside the shower and found the tulip. There was another note attached.

“Please go to the entrance of the palace.” She frowned as she went back out. At the front she jumped as she saw her friends and HoDong waiting.

“W-what is going on?” She asked them.

“You are to come with us,” HoDong said happily, “we are going to see a movie and then we’ll have lunch and your friends here would like to go shopping with you as a final treat before you say goodbye to them.”

“Oh wow,” Eunsun said coming over to them, “I will enjoy this final day with you girls.” They all nodded in agreement as they went to HoDong’s van. As it pulled off the curb Eric dialed a number in his phone and waited for it to ring.

“Alright, phase c can start.”

***

“Won Bin is still one fine actor,” HoDong commented as he and the six girls sat as they ate lunch.

“Mmm seeing him on the screen helps us to forget that he’s still in the army,” Gyuri agreed.

“How is the food?” Seungyeon asked Eunsun who was taking her time.

“Oh it’s good.”

“You’re eating so slowly!”

“Well,” Eunsun made a sad smile as she added, “I want to make this moment last as long as possible.” The girls all nodded in understanding.

“We feel sad too,” Jiyoung said, “we will never find anyone to serve better than you.” Eunsun smiled but had to take a deep breath as she felt her eyes tear up. She managed to keep them down to prevent her eyeliner and mascara from running.

“Soon we can shop!” Hara said happily and her friends smiled at her enthusiasm.

“How are we ladies?” The shop attendant said to them as they entered. For the last two hours they’d been

“We’re here to get something for our unnie,” they said to her. Eunsun blinked.

“F-for me?”

“Uh huh it’s a gift for you from us.”

“You really don’t have to…”

“Its fine just pick something out,” they pushed her to the racks where the clothes hung on the line. Eunsun did as she was told and looked at a few items. She found a rose pink dress she liked; it was a one shoulder dress with a large rose on the shoulder strap.

“It looks great,” the girls agreed as they got her to try it on. “Perfect,” they all smiled at her happily and Eunsun looked in the mirror. It did look slimming on her.

“Now we need some shoes,” the girls disappeared before Eunsun could say anything. They returned with a pair of brown heels, not as tall as the silver pumps thankfully.

“These should fit,” they said as she slipped her feet into them. They were right.

“Perfect, so you will take it all?”

“Oh I don’t…” Eunsun stopped as her friends went to the counter and handed her money.

“Thank you,” the attendant said, “would you like me to cut the tags off?”

“Why…?” She asked them as they left the shop while she was still dressed.

“Well you gave us some of your nice things,” Jiyoung added as they went to find HoDong, “so we wanted to pay you back.”

“Oh look a manicure shop,” the girls all swarmed to the window, “let’s get them done!” Eunsun didn’t get to protest; she was taken in and made to sit. They gave Eunsun a French manicure with a pale pink and they gave her friends bright colours. Gyuri had red, Seungyeon had orange, Nicole went electric blue, Jiyoung had aquamarine and Hara’s were a metallic silver.

“Nice nails,” they all said to each other as they came to the meeting place.

“Where’s HoDong-ah?” Eunsun asked them. The girls got out their mobiles.

“Uh oh no reception,” Hara said as the other four nodded. Eunsun got out her phone and found a she’d received a message from HoDong.

“Ordered a hotdog, just waiting for it,” she sighed, “trust him to eat despite having something a few hours ago.”

“Where is the hot dog place?” They all looked around.

“Let’s try this end,” they went to the end of the shops but found more retailers.

“It must be the other one,” they decided walking at a casual pace to the other end. Eunsun glanced at the clock, it was almost five. Soon she would be saying goodbye to her friends.

***

As HoDong was eating his hot dog he received a call, “hello?”

“Has Eunsun-sshi found you yet?”

“Hold on…” He lifted his head up and spotted the five girls with Eunsun coming from a distance.

“They’ve found the food court. Can I take them back yet?”

“Not yet we’ve had a dilemma with the arranging, we need you to make a diversion.”

“I’ll do my best.” He looked at his food and then at himself.

“Oh!” He grabbed his stomach, “oh holy mother of Seoul!”

“Uncle,” Eunsun ran to him despite her shoes, the others having to pick up the pace.

“Are you alright?”

“Ugh I don’t feel so good,” HoDong covered his mouth pretending to gag.

“Is it the food?” Jiyoung asked after HoDong’s winked at her.

“I don’t know…” HoDong looked at Eunsun, “can you please get me a drink?”

“Of course,” Eunsun stood up from kneeling going to the nearest vendor. She bought a bottle of water and took the lid off for him.

“Thank you,” he said taking a sip, “ah that feels better.”


“Alright then, maybe we should get back to the palace now.” The girls all looked sad as they started to walk back to the car. The time was now six o clock.

“Oh great,” HoDong hit the steering wheel with a hand, “it appears something’s happening on the road, looks like we are going to have to wait for a while.” The girls sighed as they sat in the car.

“Let’s have the radio on,” Eunsun suggested trying to brighten their spirits. They turned it on.

“And we have another exciting announcement regarding the choosing of the future queen!”

“Yes rumor has it that out of the twenty women remaining all but two were sent back home.”

“Hmm is the king of marrying more than one person?”

“Or maybe he’s having trouble with deciding who to pick.”

“The question is do we have any names?”

“Well I can give you one…Park Jungee.”

“Ah the music teacher from Busan? I figured she would still be there.” Eunsun looked out the window hiding the disappointment showing on her face.

***

When they finally arrived at the palace it was five minutes past seven. They stood together no one saying a word.

“I’ll be in the car,” HoDong told Eunsun as he gave her and her maids a moment together.

“Well…” Eunsun found she couldn’t get the words out, “I… I don’t know how to say this but… Thank you, thank you all five of you for the help you’ve been to me for this whole time.”
 

“We really enjoyed working for you,” Seungyeon added as the girls’ eyes got moist, “I can’t believe this day finally came.”

“We hope that you will find your king.” Hara added, “and that he will be looking for you.”

“You really are the nicest person we had the pleasure of serving,” Nicole wiped her eyes.

“I’m going to miss you,” Jiyoung told her.

“We all are,” Gyuri added as the others began to cry. Eunsun took a deep breath as she felt like crying too. They all came around her crying as they gave Eunsun a hug.

“Thank you,” Gyuri added as they faced each other again. Eunsun swallowed a lump that was in .

“Excuse me,” it was a servant who seemed to be focused on Eunsun, “but you are to come to the main garden where the new queen will be revealed.” Eunsun nodded.

“Well… I guess we will see now who it is he’s picked.” She looked at them all tearful.

“You look lovely,” Jiyoung added.

“Goodbye.” Eunsun turned and she followed the servant to the courtyard.

***

It was pitch black for once; all the lights in the palace were out. No one was around except for the guards who seemed to blend into the shadows.

“You know the way from here?” The servant checked with Eunsun.

“I think so thank you,” she went straight ahead to the stairs where she carefully stepped down on her way to the garden. Her heart pounded as she remembered walking this way before; except there was no trail of butterflies or fairy lights to light her way.

As she came to the small lake and the waterfall her eyes picked up hundreds of glowing shapes on the grass. Her shoe stepped on the edge of one. It was a paper butterfly but it glowed in the dark. She admitted it looked different without the table and chairs but the butterflies made a nice change. Her ears pricked up the sound of a gentle piano with guitar picking out notes.

“Eunsun-sshi.” A light snapped on revealing his majesty in a black suit with a bow tie. He looked rather dashing tonight and Eunsun saw he had grey shoes on as well as a grey waist coat.

“Y-Youngmin-sshi,” she stammered uncertain as to what to do, “a-am I early for the revealing of the queen?”

“No you are just on time,” he said his smiling not changing.

“Oh, well… Then am I at the right place?”

“Yes,” Hwang began walking over to her, “I think there’s something on the waterfall.”

“What?” Eunsun turned, her attention lost for a moment. She turned back and Youngmin was in front of her; on one knee…..

 

“Y-Your m-majesty w-what is…?”

“Kang Eunsun-ee,” the king gave a nervous laugh, “my Eunsun-ee…” He reached into his pocket pulling out a black velvet box which he opened revealing its treasure. A silver ring with a diamond shaped into a flower with diamonds engraved into the band.

“Oh my goodness,” Eunsun blinked hard as she was starting to become overwhelmed.

“—Will you do me the honor of becoming the queen of Korea and my wife?” Youngmin’s eyes were shining too like hers were. Holding back a sob, Eunsun put a hand over and gave a tearful nod.

“Yes.” More lights snapped on as she held out her hand, now crying. Youngmin looked like he was having a hard enough time holding back. With a shaky hand he slipped the ring onto her finger. She lifted it to her face, admiring the shine it gave from the cut. Youngmin stood up and came closer to her. With both his hands he wiped her tears, a light flashed from somewhere.

“You’re make up is running,” he chuckled through a catch in his voice. Eunsun laughed for the first time in a while as he put his arms around her and hugged her. She put her arms around him, letting mascara go onto his shoulder.

“Congratulations,” people called as the couple looked up to see staff and other people coming to greet them.

“Well done,” Eric patted Youngmin on the back, sniffing unintentionally. Youngmin laughed as he embraced his friend. Eunsun hugged her uncle who had tears streaming down his face.

“Congratulations my queen,” he said taking her forehead and kissing her there; seeing her Uncle cry made Eunsun cry even more.

“Congratulations,” Eunsun couldn’t believe it when she saw her five friends who were happily dressed up in nice dresses. Seungyeon in a orange halter neck, Hara in a silver strapless bubble dress, Gyuri in a red v-neck, Nicole in a maxi dress that was lavender and Jiyoung in her peacock green tunic.

“What are you doing here?” Eunsun asked dabbing her eyes for the first time that night.

“A queen needs some maids’ right?” Eric asked putting his arm around her casually, “so I figured… Why not them? You already know them so you know that they will work for you.”

“Really? Oh my gosh I can’t believe it!” Eunsun’s waterworks went off again.

“We’re so excited to work for a queen,” Jiyoung said.

“We’re sorry we had to trick you.” That managed to stop Eunsun crying for a moment, “what do you mean?”

“Well… We acted like we wouldn’t see you again,” Gyuri explained, “but that was part of an elaborate scheme.”

“An elaborate scheme?” Eunsun looked at Eric who shrugged his shoulders.

“Who else was involved?”

“Your uncle,” Eunsun nodded with her surprise, “how is it I am not surprised at this?”

“What did I do?” HoDong called from his conversation with the chef. They laughed happily. Eunsun felt something tug at her dress. She turned to see Soo-yoon in a pink dress.

“Soo-yoon-ee,” she said bending down and picking her up, “I haven’t seen you in a while how are you?”

‘Good,’ she signed to her before adding, ‘I’m glad you’re going to be my mum.’

“She said she’s glad Eunsun-ee is going to become her mum,” Eric told the girls and they went ‘aww.’

“She’s so cute,” Seungyeon said going over and saying hello.

“Soo-yoon-ee,” Eric signed to her, “these girls are going to be your mum’s maids. This is Seungyeon. The one in red is Gyuri, Nicole is in the purple, Hara is dressed like a UFO and Jiyoung is in the green.”

“Wait why do I look like something weird?!” They laughed at Hara’s outburst.

“Soo-yoon-ee why are you awake still my princess?” Soo-yoon moved to the side she heard her father’s voice come from. Eunsun almost lost her grip.

“She wanted to see her new mother,” Eric said with a smile as Soo-yoon reached out to Youngmin. He picked her up in her arms and lifted her up.

“I see now, well this princess needs to become sleeping beauty now alright.” Soo-yoon stuck out her bottom lip.

“Aww how precious,” the women cooed.

“Say good night everyone,” Youngmin said giving Soo-yoon the chance to sign it to them.

‘Good night,’ Youngmin kissed her on the cheek before giving her to her nanny who was waiting for her.

“Good night,” they said waving to her.

“Congrats,” Eunsun and the others saw Donggun and Hyori standing close by. They seemed out of place or uninterested in the celebrations.

“Looks like I’ll be seeing more of you,” Hyori said eyeing Eunsun up, “this time it will be easier on my eyes.” Eric gave a nervous laugh before HoDong interrupted Mr and Mrs. Pessimism.

“So your highness…”

“Call me Youngmin-ee or even son.”

“Hwang-ee, when is the wedding?”

“Oh that will be next year,” HoDong said putting his arm around Eunsun’s waist pulling her to him, “there’s still a lot to be done for then.”

“Alrighty well if you want me to cater for it then just let me know and I will give it to you for free.”

“Don’t worry I will pay you,” he looked at Eunsun, “after all I don’t want to show disfavor to my queen’s family.”

“Understood,” HoDong nodded.

“Now then we should all go have some dinner in the dining room.” Youngmin said, “shall we go inside my soon-to-be wife?”

“I think that’s a good idea,” Eunsun laughed as they all went up to the dining hall happily.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

  Man this was a huuuge chapter to write. I said I wasn’t going to upload again today but I felt bad for making you wait for this. I hope it was worth it guys I thank you for reading it! Especially for emobunbun and xinli_ang for being the first to read it. I’m glad you guys took up the challenge! Happy reading everyone.