51. The reception

Eunsun: A star for the king

Half an hour later after having wedding pictures the bridal party went to the palace where the wedding reception was being held. It looked grand in the dining room. It was decorated with the color scheme and everyone was talking and having a good time. Yunho seemed to be talking politics with one of the diplomats and Sooyoung was getting along with Minsoo.

“And the bride and groom have arrived!” Donggun announced. He wasn’t his normal uptight self but that was because he’d drunken some wine. Some of the women seated at the table where Hyori was sitting eyed her with some disregard. She fanned herself with her place card.

“Alright to begin the night we have a performance from Cube’s animals… Sorry for the pun, I mean give it up for Beast!” Everyone clapped as the six came onto stage and got into position. They began to sing Oasis and everyone waved in time. Hwang put his arm around the back of Eunsun’s chair as they sat. The entrees arrived and they ate while Donggun came back onto the stage.

“Thank you Beast, they will be back later on with more hits, now it’s time for the best man to give his toast speech. So Eric-ah come on up. Eric adjusted his tie as he went to the stage taking the microphone.

“Thank you,” Eric grinned, “thank you firstly for having me as your best man Hwang-ee. I love you bro,” everyone laughed.

“I guess I will get to the point so me and the boys can sing the song we prepared. Umm… I’ll be honest; when I met Eunsun I had a sort of thing for her.” The others murmured around the room,

“But she liked Hwang-ee more than me so I guess I let her go. This is the part where you are supposed to laugh.” There was laughter alright; but the nervous kind.

“When Hwang revealed that he was in love, my first thought was ‘at last thank God,’ people laughed, “but also I wondered. Who was the lucky woman? Was she pretty? Is she kind? Does she treat others as well as my pal Hwang-ee does? That’s what I asked myself and then when I found out it was Eunsun I knew for a fact that he had made the right choice.” He lifted up his glass, “to Eunsun.”

“To Eunsun,” the crowd replied all lifting their glasses and having a sip, Eric then put his glass down as he joined Shinhwa to sing ‘once in a lifetime.’ Everyone at their dinner as they sang in harmony.

“Alright,” Donggun got to the stand, “as you can see we’ve made some space for dancing. So get up and have a groove while Beast performs their next two numbers.” People began to move to the floor, Hwang joined his brothers as they got jiggy on the floor. Eunsun laughed at her husband’s funny dance moves. Yunho ended up doing popping which everyone clapped for.

“Thank you,” Beast bowed as they finished ‘I like you the best.’

“Ok,” Donggun went to his running sheet; “time that the maid of honor says a few words, please give it up for Gyuri-sshi and then she and her friends will do a few numbers.” Gyuri walked onto the stage, like a goddess she stood with a microphone in her hand.

“As the maid of honor I take this responsibility seriously. I thank my unnie Eunsun for letting me and the rest of us be a part of this special day,” Eunsun smiled from her kind words.

“I’ve known Eunsun for a while. My friends and I were assigned to her as her maids during the competition,” Gyuri pushed hair off her face, “at first I felt annoyed and anxious that she would be hard to please and a difficult person to work for.” She wet her lips, “but I was glad when I found that she is kind, gentle and a great person to know.” Gyuri’s eyes became moist.

“I am happy for her because I know how much she deserves this.” She wiped her eyes, “she is the reason why we’re still singing together even though our dreams of becoming singers have yet to be fulfilled.” Gyuri looked at Eunsun, “thank you unnie from the bottom of my heart and the rest of us. These songs are for you.” Gyuri went onto the stage. The music started and the girls began to sing an upbeat song as well as manage to dance despite the long gowns. Everyone applauded for them which floored the girls who just bowed. They then did a song Eunsun knew which was ‘Mister’ that got people doing the shake.

“Alright are we tired now?” Donggun asked as he came to the stage, “HoDong is going to say a few words as well as our previous king and then we will cut the cake.” HoDong came onto the stage.

“Umm, first of all hope we like the food. I have a catering business and I want to have reviews from you all later,” he was given encouraging smiles as well as Yunho’s legendary thumbs up.

“Eunsun is my niece, actually my only niece,” he wiped his forehead, “Eunsun’s parents disappeared when she was ten and well…We found them again, they are resting in peace.” Everyone seemed sympathetic to Eunsun who tearfully nodded. Hwang put his hand on the side of her head to push her towards him. Their noses were gently touching.

“I am proud of Eunsun and how far she has come,” HoDong continued, “Hwang is a good man and I know he will take care of her even when I’m no longer around. Bless you both in your marriage.” Eunsun let a few tears fall as she stood up and hugged her uncle. Hwang then got to his feet and shook his hand as well as giving him a hug too.

“Well… That was touching,” Donggun said pretending to cry for comic relief, “alright now we have the previous king. Let’s give him a warm welcome.” Everyone clapped as the former king stood proper and dignified as he spoke.

“When I learned that Chayune had been banished, I went to visit my son and I said; ‘you do know you are going to have to marry again.’ And so that is why Eric made the competition. However there is one thing that I didn’t tell Hwang that I am going to reveal now. And it’s because of this that I know he made the right choice in marrying this young lady.” He held up a hand, “first of all; she had to be lovely in appearance because she represents the females of this nation and be nice for the cameras,” people chuckled, “second, he had to have strong feelings towards her because he was marrying for love this time. Third, she had to get along with Soo-yoon because she will take on the responsibility of being a mother as well as a queen and wife. Fourth she had to be kind and from what I’ve heard about her I can agree with this. The final and most important thing; she had to love Hwang not for his power, wealth or looks but because of who he is as a person and well,” he smiled at Eunsun, “she does because she smiles brightly whenever Hwang is around. Eunsun, you are the right woman and I thank you for brightening my son’s life again.” They clapped for the king who bowed to them. He hugged his son and kissed Eunsun on both cheeks.

“Ok now, let’s get this cake out to everyone,” Donggun declared as the couple went to cut the five pillar cake, the bottom cake being the size of a tractor tyre. HoDong got the pieces around to everyone as gentle music played in the background.

“Alright,” Donggun said after several minutes had gone, “it’s time for the man of the day to say something. Come on up here Youngmin!” People whistled and were happy as Hwang came up to the stage.

“T-thank you everyone for being here; I know me and Eunsun appreciate it,” he was nervous for the first time in front of them.

“Thank you first to my family and to HoDong-ee for being here I am grateful to you all for being here especially to my hyungs who travelled here so we could be together. To all of our friends thank you for being here, you’re here because you are special to either me or Eunsun and we thank you for your blessings for us. To those I work with,” Hwang gestured to Donggun and the other staff, “you all are very determined and friendly people to work with I enjoy talking with you.”

“ To my hyung Eric,” Eric made a cocky grin, “you are like a brother to me. I can never thank you enough for what you’ve done as well as help with the wedding and bring my wife here so we would meet.”

“Soo-yoon,” Hwang smiled at his daughter, “appa loves you very much and you were the best flower girl.” Soo-yoon quickly signed back that she loved him too.


“And to my wife,” Eunsun gave an open smile, “words cannot express how special this day is, to have you as my own from now and until the end of time. I won’t say anymore,” this surprised everyone, “because I would rather sing it.” People gasped as he went to where the musicians were. He stood with the microphone in his hand. He gestured to them and the pianist began to play a beautiful melody.

“I wrote this for you Eunsun.” People went ‘aww.’ The piano built up as the strings joined in. Hwang took a deep breath and he began to sing:

if there’s a road that’s made only for you
that road is inside your pure heart
if you can endure through this pain
Than just put your soul into trusting..

People sat mesmerized by his low but sweet voice as was Eunsun who couldn’t say anything.

Holding you holding you
it’s in you, river flows in you
slowly, slowly, the river flows in me

Holding you holding you
it’s in you, river flows in you
longing, waiting more, would we be there?

Her maids swooned over his singing while the bride found herself touched.

I would give my whole heart only to you
So that I can feel you always
If you can hold on into it just a bit longer
Than try to put your heart into it

Holding you holding you
it’s in you, river flows in you
slowly, slowly, the river flows in me.

Eunsun’s eyes were beginning to fill with tears though she wasn’t aware of it. HoDong patted her on the back while smiling.

Holding you holding you
it’s in you, river flows in you
longing, waiting more, would we be there?

Holding you, holding you, it's in you
River flows in you.
Slowly, more slowly. There is a river flowing in me

Holding you, holding you, it's in you
River flows in you.
Waiting, the waiting. Will I be waiting for you then.

People began to clap at Youngmin’s adlibs at the end which showed off his singing. When he was finished there was a standing ovation.

“Thank you,” he said going back to Donggun with the microphone. There was suddenly a long ‘aww’ that spread through the room. Eunsun’s tears were falling as she happily cried.

“You broke your wife!” Eric teased as Youngmin took a seat next to her. HoDong handed her a tissue to dab her eyes.

“Now to finish up let’s do some dancing,” Donggun declared and people got up from their seats, “how about the newlyweds have their first dance as husband and wife?” Everyone seemed to like that idea. Youngmin held out a hand to Eunsun who graciously took it as he led her to the space. They stood slow dancing, both looking each other in the eye. The musicians played the instrumental to his song as they slowly moved around the space.

“You wrote that for me?”

“Well I may have had some help,” Youngmin admitted shyly, “the composer Yiruma gave me his help.” Eunsun nodded.

“He did a good job.”

“I’m glad,” Youngmin smiled as he pulled her closer to him for the remainder of the song.

***

Time flew by fast and soon the happy couple was on a plane to the Philippines where they would spend two weeks getting to know each other and enjoying married life. The girls hugged Eunsun tightly before leaving.

“Stay safe,” they said as she went to see to Minsoo.

“It was a lovely ceremony,” Minsoo complimented, “you look lovely.”

“I’m happy that you came,” Eunsun smiled. She felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to the Jung siblings.

“Congratulations,” Jihye hugged her.

“It was a pleasure being invited,” Yunho added grinning.

“I’m glad your manager allowed for you to make it,” Eunsun said to him, “I thought you would be busy.”

“Well I do have to fly to Japan early tomorrow morning but I think I will sleep well so I won’t feel as tired.”

“We’d better get going, oppa doesn’t want me to go to my friend’s house alone.”

“Yah I just said I would be happy to give you a lift,” he stated. Eunsun just smiled as the two bickered. It would have been nice if she had a sibling too.

“Eunsun? Come say hello to appa and eomma,” Eunsun understood.

“Until next time,” Yunho came for a hug, “would your husband mind?”

“I don’t think so,” Eunsun shook her head, “he trusts me.”

“That’s good.”

***

“Safe trip,” Eric said to them as the small amount of staff including Youngmin’s appa and eomma plus HoDong saw them off at the terminal. The press had got word of where they were and were now taking pictures.

“Take as much sun as you can,” Hyori added.

“Drink plenty of wine,” they all stared at Donggun.

“We’ll see you in two weeks.”

“Bye,” everyone waved as they went to the boarding gate. They gave their passes and went down the corridor after receiving them. HoDong wiped his eyes, “my little girl has grown up.”

*************************************************************************************************************

Aww this was sweet to write. Oh yeah in case you guys didn’t read my slight mental breakdown, I changed Hwang to Youngmin because I realized this was his actual name just to help with any confusion. Also the song Youngmin sang is actually one written by the composer Yiruma it's called River flows in you. I am now 16 subscribers away from 100! This is pretty awesome so thank you :)