71. Dinner for Three

Eunsun: A star for the king

For a moment, no one said anything. Then it exploded with clapping and cheering in response. Staff paused to watch with curiosity but none of them had the courage to go and ask what the celebration was about.

“Wow this is awesome,” Eric said as Hodong hugged his niece. “I’m so happy, you’re finally going to have your first child.”

“Mm but I’m worried that Soo-yoon may feel left out as a result.” Eunsun admitted, “Since she can only sign and not say how she feels.”

“I’m sure it will be fine,” they all assured her. “You can tell the king tomorrow.”

Eric looked worried, “But how, from what I heard he’s going to be stuck in the meeting for most of tomorrow. And there are strict guidelines as to who can enter and when. If you entered without consent before hand then you will be arrested on the spot.” There were at an impasse. If they could find a way around it then they would take the chance. But right now they didn’t know what to do or what they could do.

“Eunsun,” Hodong checked on her for her choice. “It’s up to you, but we’re too far in to be able to go back and try again. You need to decide what you want to do.” Eunsun turned to her friends and uncle. For a lot of them here, their fate lay in her hands.

After a moment's thought she answered. “I’ll do it,” her voice was strict with tension but she didn’t wish to show her fear.

“Thank you,” never had they sounded more grateful than they did then.

Youngmin left early in the morning while Eunsun slept in for a little longer. She woke an hour and a half later and ended up having to be sick. In her mind she didn’t know how she was going to be able to gain any strength for the task ahead.

“I don’t know if this is a good idea,” Jiyoung advised Eunsun as they made some ginger tea. It had been recommended by the doctor to help with the nausea.

Eunsun played with the food on her plate. “I have no choice." She didn’t feel hungry.

“You have to eat,” Hodong picked up the fork and scooped some rice onto it. “Please try.” Eunsun barely had the food in before she fled to the bathroom. She returned and sat down at her place.

“Maybe you will be able to have things like fruit and vegetables.” She nodded as she picked up a plate which held cut up apple. She was able to eat half before feeling sick again.

Eventually she had a shower and changed into something formal that wasn’t over the top. It ended up being a beige dress that went over the knees with a black blazer jacket. She tied her hair up in a bun, applied light makeup and then just needed some small heels.

“Don’t look so stressed,” Eric nudged her in the side as they drove to the house of parliament.
 

She loosened some of the clench in her hands. “I’m worried, I may be the queen but the rules apply to everyone.”

“We’re just going to have to pray,” Hodong told her. Her maids said nothing for they were as nervous as she was. They pulled over in the car and were escorted to the lobby.

The security checks were done and approved, it was time to go to the main conference room. They watched from a high position through bullet proof glass the politicians banter and argue while the king sat back. He didn’t want to be there from the way his head rested on a hand.

“My gosh they’re noisy,” Hodong said as some of the girls put fingers in their ears.

“Yah shut up!”

“Gyuri shh,” they had to pull her away from the glass in fear of her breaking through. Eunsun had to take a seat for a moment. She was going to enter the room when they had their break which would be at ten am.

“Alright we should go soon,” Eric glanced at the time which said it would be ten in fifteen minutes. “It will take a while to get to the room.” Eunsun nodded and slowly rose, her dignity feeling like it was slipping through cracks. Eric linked arms with her as they walked out of the room, Hodong followed. The maids would sit at the window watching with Soo-yoon who was still slightly sleepy.

***

They stood at the door, waiting for one of the guards to open it on cue. Hodong rubbed Eunsun’s shivering back while Eric adjusted his tie with discomfort.

“Are you ready?” Eunsun nodded.

The guard glanced at the clock. “A minute remaining, do they know you’re entering?” Eunsun shook her head. The guard looked at her with sympathy and then went back to his robotic expression.

“Alright,” Eric breathed out. “It’s time.” The guard stepped forward pushing down on the handle. The door opened outwards, the noise from discussions slowly dying down.

“Don’t do this,” Eric whispered as she stepped forward. Alas she did not agree.

“Hold on, who’s entering?”

“Did they have permission?” Other members of parliament explained.

The men and women started to become more and more annoyed.“This is an outrage your majesty,” with that Eunsun walked in. The room drew to a standstill, all of them watched as the queen entered. The guards at the sides raised their radios, touched their ear pieces.

“Hmm,” Donggun was amused as he watched the politicians yell at her.

“This is an abomination, the queen can’t just enter!” The guards began to move before Eunsun even reached the middle. Those who were at a loss at what to do all looked to Youngmin for his word. Without a sound he stood.

“Stand back,” he called to the guards who had her surrounded. With that they drew away with ease. With all eyes on her Eunsun stood, trembling in the middle ground, waiting for her husband to give her an order.

He held his microphone tightly. “You have the floor."

“If it were to please his majesty,” Eunsun bowed to him. “And to our Prime Minister Jang Donggun; I would like to invite you both to dinner tomorrow night.”

There was some disatisifaction at the reason for the interruption. There were loud discussions and aggressive comments flying at not only the queen but the king who had let it slide. Before she felt as though she would faint Eunsun bowed again and dismissed herself. A large weight had been lifted off her shoulders.

***

Donggun told his wife soon after the meeting had finished. “She invited you but not me?!”

He didn't care. “I’m still mad at you.”

“Grow up Donggun, it’s happened and done with.”

He gave her a venomous look. “Well I can’t just forget about it! You went behind my back. Behind my rules.”

She folded her arms. “And so cheating on me with the queen is your revenge?!”

“Oh you sick twisted little… His royal majesty is going to be there too!”

“This makes it even…” Hyori ducked as Donggun raised a hand to give her one. He sighed.

“Stay away from me,” he his heels leaving his wife stunned in her spot.

Meanwhile Eric and Youngmin got onto the same topic that afternoon. “Are you going to go?” Eric asked as the king shifted through some papers.

“My wife invited me, of course I will.”

“Good, I trust the three of you will have a good time.”

The king paused. “It’s weird though for Eunsun to not include Hyori. I hope they are not having a disagreement or something.”

Eric came beside his friend and patted him on the back. “Don’t worry. It will all work out.” He silently hoped and prayed.

***

“You’re inviting us for dinner again?” Donggun had a sly grin. “And I thought that tonight was splendid.” Youngmin looked at his wife who sat next to him. She had barely spoken the whole time. Everything had gone to plan that night. The food was great, the guests were full; except Eunsun had lost her nerve. The baby growing inside her made it hard to eat so she had chewed little only to spit it into a napkin when no one was watching.

“You’re willing to go to the same trouble like for tonight?”

Eunsun cleared ; really she was trying to resist the urge to be sick. “Of course honey,” she said as calmly as she could. 

“Well then,” Donggun wiped his mouth on a napkin. “Just give me the date and I’ll be there.”

“Tomorrow night?” Eunsun silently prayed that he would agree.

“Then tomorrow night it is,” Donggun then left without thanks or a farewell greeting. Once the door was closed Eunsun felt herself gag and she then hurried to the bathroom.

A few minutes later Youngmin rose from his seat and went to find his wife. “Honey,” he called, “are you alright?” She came out of the bathroom, face slightly pale and

“I’m fine honey.”

Youngmin felt her forehead and then tested it against his own. “You feel warmer than usual. Did you see the doctor the other day?”

“Yes of course.”

“And what did he say?” He asked trying to find an answer straight away.

She took a deep breath. “That I’m alright, well I will be after some time.”

This caused concern to rise in him which was evident in his voice.“How long did he say that would be?”

“Nine months,” she waited for him to realise the truth. A moment later his eyes brightened.

“You mean?”

She nodded, her own eyes beginning to water. He let out a laugh of happiness before wrapping his arms around her. She clung to his back letting tears of joy fall onto his shirt.

“I’m so happy,” he whispered, barely able to talk. “Please don’t ever hide anything like that from me again.” The last words came with a painful blow; a promise that had already been broken.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hmm from what I can sense it may be another two chapters. *Gets shot* though for those silent readers (yes those of u who have read but not commented) this is good news.