15.Better I stay away

Eunsun: A star for the king

The next few days seem to slip by without much notice. Gyuri and Hara were distant with her but the other three had forgiven her for what she’d done. She chose a product for the challenge that she would wear and now had to wait before she went to the studio. It was a black eyeliner pencil, simple for what it was but she found she liked how it made her eyes appear bigger. Her maids agreed well the ones that were talking to her which made her relieved.

The day came she went to the studio with the other twenty five candidates. Hyori was there with the photographers dressed in a red long sleeved shirt and a white mini skirt.

“Welcome,” she said smiling, “I would like to introduce you to the Kim brothers, and they will be doing your photo shoots today.”  The girls all bowed to the two men.

“Nice to meet you I’m Kim Baejoon,” one said with medium length hair, “my dongsaeng is Kim Baehyun and we’ve been in the photography industry for ten years. Today will be doing concepts that express best the product you will be modeling. Now if your family name falls before Lee then you will be with Baehyun and anyone with the family name Lee and so on will come with me. Alright let’s get to it.”

Eunsun found herself sharing a large dressing room with thirteen other women who were enjoying being primped and groomed for their few minutes of limelight. Eunsun smiled at the makeup artist who did her face.

“Hmm you have a nice nose,” she said brushing the powder along the bridge, “it has a nice point.” Eunsun nodded though her mind was in another world.

“Kang Eunsun?” She heard her name being called, “you’re up.” Eunsun stood from the desk, dressed in a white flowing gown and was barefoot much to her relief. The crew whistled as she walked in to stand behind the cameras. Her hair was straight and it was very soft to touch.

“Wow don’t you look great,” Baejoon said as he came around to join her, “now for you we choose to do something simple but y. Now we are just going to do some shots of you looking in different directions.” Eunsun nodded as Baejoon picked up his camera, “look your upper right” she did as she was told and the camera flashed.

“Good now look at the lower left so at my feet,” she moved and he flashed the camera again.

“Ok now we will try something different. Can you look surprised for me?” Eunsun didn’t know what to do.

“Boo,” Eunsun jumped the moment the cameraman surprised her and in return the bright light of the camera flash went off in her face.

“Ok that is all for you, come take a look at your pictures.” She went around to the computer where they had uploaded the shots from the camera. Eunsun blinked.

“Is that me?” She asked Baejoon nodded.

“Yes I would suggest you start wearing that eyeliner more often,” Eunsun thought about this. Maybe it was time she made some changes.

***

When she returned she went through the clothing Eric had given her and decided that she would put them to good use. There were three things that didn’t suit her, a fish-net singlet, a bright green dress and some pink heels but otherwise everything else she put away for another time.

“Eunsun-ee,” she saw her maids watching.

“So you decided to keep them?” Gyuri raised her eyebrows. Eunsun breathed out hoping to stop her fast pacing heart.

“Gyuri-ee, Hara-ee is you still mad at me?” The two looked to the other.

“We are still a bit mad,” Hara started, “but we will forgive you,” Eunsun let out a breath.

“I’m glad, and I really am sorry.”

“It’s ok,” Hara and Gyuri came up to her for a hug which she happily returned.

***

Two days later the women gathered again for the results of the competition. Eunsun wore something she was given for the first time. A beige turtleneck jersey which would helped with the declining temperature and a pair of skinny jeans as well as some brown ballet flats with an orange button on the toe.

“Hello ladies,” the women were amazed to see Eric standing before them dressed in an orange short sleeved shirt with a white vest jersey and beige pants, “how have we been?”

“Good,” they all murmured while some looked at Eunsun, and then giving nods of approval to her clothes.

“Sorry I’ve been away for a bit,” Eric added, “I ended up visiting Hye Sung for a bit which was good seeing as we’re old group buddies.” The blank expressions he received made him change subject, “anyway I’m going to be announcing the winner of the challenge that Hyori-sshi planned. The winner is the person whose photo I will be holding up.” Eric picked up the photograph and slowly turned it around. There was a cry of delight as the winner’s photograph was revealed.

“Congratulations to Lee Woora who chose to model Maybelline’s smooth matte lipstick. The concept of the not-so-innocent Snow White was the winner for Hyori-sshi. Bad luck to the rest of you but they were impressed with your hard work nonetheless so you will get to keep the product that you used while Woora-sshi will receive her forty hundred thousand won gift card. I will see you all next month until then,” he bowed, “take care.” As the women dispersed Eric spotted Eunsun for the first time in a while. He hesitated however changed his mind when he saw she wasn’t going to catch up with him.

That evening when the maids were watching a movie Eunsun sat by herself at the table to write a letter to her Uncle. Her heart hurt from him leaving like he had done but she knew she had to see how he was.

To HoDong-ee…She stopped not sure of what else to add, I am afraid that you will not reply to this. She bit her lips which were quivering I am sorry for what I have done, I regret what I did and I am sorry I caused you pain. She looked up, her eyes starting to sting but she had to finish this.

I pray that you will find it in your heart to forgive me someday and that the distance between us has helped heal the wound. God bless you, love Eunsun-ee xxxx

She folded the paper and slipped it in the addressed envelope with a stamp. She sealed the top and went to the door, “I’ll be out for a bit,” she said to the girls who didn’t pay attention to her.

She walked to Eric’s office where she knocked on the door, “come in.” He nearly got out of his seat when he saw her enter, a pleased grin appeared as he spotted some of her gifts.

“Eunsun-sshi what can I do for you?” He asked pressing a button on his phone and then putting it down. Eunsun placed the envelope on the desk, sliding it towards him.

“I was wondering if you would be able to send this for me please.” He nodded and placed the envelope in his desk, “I will do it in the morning.” She nodded.

“Thank you,” she gave a small bow and was on her way.

“Is there something wrong?” Eunsun stopped. She shook her head, “ok have a good night.”

***

She was dreading seeing the king again, she imagined the impression she last left on him was not a positive one. She was going to try and find him but in the end she lost her nerve and just went for a walk around the garden.

“I’m sorry Lord,” she clenched her hands together in prayer, “I’ve really done it and I don’t know how to fix it.” She ended up going to the flower gardens but had to change her plans when she found Hwang standing by the birdbath. She began to leave until she stood on a twig that cracked under her weight.

“Eunsun-ee,” resignedly she faced Youngmin. She bowed to him.

“How have you been these days your highness?”

“Why are you going by formalities again?”

“I think it would be better than if I called you by your name,” confusion came on Youngmin’s face as he took in what she said.

“But I allowed you to do so—“

“It isn’t fair for me to use banmal with you if the other women can’t.”

“I gave you and your Uncle permission.”

“It doesn’t feel right for me to do so,” Eunsun felt her courage sap away from her, “if you can understand.” Youngmin sighed.

“About the other day—“

“I’m sorry for what happened,” Eunsun interrupted him, “for losing my temper like that it wasn’t right.” She rolled down her collar, “I should have known better.”

“Eunsun-ee what are you--?”

“I’ve thought about things recently and I think its best that I don’t converse with you anymore like I have done recently.”  Youngmin was even more confused.

“What are you trying to--?”

“It isn’t fair for the other women if I talk to you more than them and they are only just starting to accept me but that’s because of what I wear. I’m not proud of it but it’s the only thing I can do that will make them change their mind about me. This way I’m not at an unfair advantage until and if we have our arranged date together.”

“I don’t understand,” Youngmin ran a hand on his forehead, “how is this being unfair?”

“I don’t know how to explain it,” Eunsun said his eyes looking at his, “but it just is. Don’t take this the wrong way your majesty but we both know that you will choose a queen in ten months and I would hate to impose on her future husband.” She bowed to him.

“Eunsun-ee,” Youngmin took a step to her, he sounded remorseful but Eunsun had to ignore it if she was going to walk away.

“Have a good night,” she managed to add her own voice shaking. Each step was agonizing to take; her mind told her that this wasn’t happening. She wasn’t rejecting the king or ending their acquaintances with each other after all. The only reminder that this wasn’t a bad dream was the feel of  eyeliner streaming down her cheeks.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

This was painful to write but sometimes it hurts to do what we think is right. Thanks for reading guys.