38. Merry Christmas

Eunsun: A star for the king

“Happy Christmas,” HoDong said as he placed a large present in the middle of the circle. Everyone looked at him.

“What is this? A gift wrapped anvil?”

“Open it, I wanted to give something that would be useful for everyone,” Youngmin glanced at Eunsun who shrugged as Hwang stood up and went to take the lid off. Youngmin was speechless as his head disappeared in the box while he bent down to pick it up.

“Pumpkins,” he said, “lots of them.”

“What?” Donggun and his wife seemed appalled by this gift, “what are we meant to do with a whole heap of pumpkins?”

“Eat them,” they death stared Eric.

“Well I can make a pumpkin pie for us all later on,” Eunsun suggested.

“Ah your pumpkin pie is indeed tasty,” HoDong agreed, Youngmin looked impressed as he placed the large orange vegetable beside Soo-yoon who tried to wrap her arms around it.

“Thank you,” Youngmin said to him as he stretched across from where he was sitting to get the next gift, “this is for…Hyori-sshi.”

“Excellent,” she took the card and tore the envelope open, “Ah it’s from Eunsun-sshi.” With some reluctance showing on her face she opened the present, she looked surprised, some of the negative expression disappearing.

“Wow…Real pearls,” she lifted the box up to reveal the earrings.

“Eunsun-ee how did you manage to--?” HoDong whispered to his niece.

“It’s ok,” Eunsun smiled back before Hyori took them out and put them in her ears, “what do you think honey?”

“They are nice,” Donggun managed to say.

“Thank you,” Eunsun was touched. That was probably the first time Hyori had said that to her.

“Ok whose next? Eric-ah it’s you,” Youngmin handed his friend the box.

“Oh…It’s from you two,” Eric eyed the couple warily as he opened the paper. He breathed out in relief when he saw it appeared to be a t-shirt…His eyebrows went down as he read what it said.

“I’M GOING TO KILL YOU!” He got up and went to Donggun putting his hands to his neck, Donggun was able to keep him at bay while Hyori hit him with one of her presents; a new Gucci hand bag.

“Oh my…” HoDong made his lips disappear to stop himself from laughing, Youngmin got the shirt and put it on his lap.

“No wonder he’s upset,” he showed Eunsun what it said:

Sorry girls I’m gay!

“Ah…” Eunsun didn’t like this but she made an effort to smile politely.

“Don’t worry hyung you can wear it around your room,” Youngmin pointed out. Eric gave up and went back to his spot.

“Ok now this one is for…Ah Soo-yoon,” Youngmin was smiling as he gave her a small bag. Soo-yoon pulled out a white cat with a pink ribbon and blue plastic eyes. She smiled at her dad before she hugged him and he returned it.

‘Thank you daddy; I love you.’

“I love you too,” she kissed him on the cheek making his face go red slightly.

“Ok whose next,” Eric picked out another gift, “Youngmin this is from Lee –Woo-sshi and Yuna-sshi.”

“Thank you,” Youngmin opened it but quickly put the paper over the top his ears reddening.

“What? What is it?” Eric reached for it; Youngmin stopped him with a palm to Eric’s forehead.

“It’s nothing!” Youngmin responded while Eric’s arms flailed as he kept himself from falling onto Soo-yoon who was happily playing with her toy. Carefully Eunsun lifted the paper off and picked it up. She glanced at it curiously before she lowered it, her face shocked.

“What?” Eric called out, “show me!” With some embarrassment Eunsun lifted it up for him to see. Donggun and Hyori began to laugh while HoDong’s mouth came un-hitched. Soo-yoon was still oblivious.

“One hundred secrets for a good…. Bahahaha,” Eric fell back and began to roll on the floor while Youngmin and Eunsun sat embarrassed.

“It’s not funny,” Youngmin said.

“It’s even worse than your gift!” HoDong pointed out to Eric who was in hysterics and unable to contain his laughter.

“But it is a good gift,” Hyori added, “You will have to learn some things or two to ensure that your bedtimes are adventurous.”

“Adventurous haha that sounds so wrong!” Eric laughed while Eunsun stood to get the next present.

“I’ll get the next one,” she found an envelope; “oh it’s for us HoDong-ah.”

“Let’s open it together,” HoDong went over to her as they took out a card, something fluttered to the floor.

“Just a little something to help you with purchasing some new equipment, love Eric-ah.” Eunsun picked up the item, it was a cheque.

“Eric-ee,” she breathed, “t-this…” HoDong took a look.

“We can’t accept this,” HoDong finished for her but Eric was already shaking his head; finally calm after his laughing fit.

“It’s alright; I really can afford it ok?” They put the cheque back in the envelope. Eunsun went to Eric to hug him.

“Thank you,” she said.

“Ok here’s the last one…Hmm it’s for me,” HoDong looked at it. It was a letter that was professionally done up.

“To his royal majesty king Youngmin,” he began to read, “we at Yejeon Records have heard your demo tape and we would like to produce one of them into a single.” There were intakes of breath from the people around him.

“We will be in touch within the next couple of months regarding the first release of your songs. We also thank your friend who contacted us requesting we listen to your music. She ought to be highly praised for this as we like your voice and your ability to sing with emotion. We’ve included our business card so that you may get in touch if you have any other questions. Have a merry Christmas and Happy New Year, yours sincerely, the president of Yejeon Records.” There was silence except for the carols playing in the background.

“Wow,” Eric looked at Eunsun, “did you send it in?” Eunsun nodded.

“Do you remember that I asked you to record him at times when he was playing in his music room?”

“Ah now I get it,” Eric smiled at, “that is really thoughtful of you.”

“Yeah,” Donggun even seemed impressed, “I never would have thought of doing that.”

“Hwang-ee you’re speechless,” Eric smirked at Youngmin who was looking at the CD with his name written on it in her handwriting.

“Eunsun-ee… You really shouldn’t have…”

“I don’t mind,” Eunsun said with her lips in a half smile half upside down one, “I wanted to do it...I know how much you’ve wanted to share your music so I thought I would give it a go.”

“Thank you,” his voice was choked up, he bit his lips as he stared out at nothing fighting back the emotion that was starting to overwhelm him.

“Aww you big baby,” Eric , Hwang turned to Eunsun and embraced her.

“I love you,” he said so only she could hear, it made her heart flutter as she rested her head against his shoulder.

“Now that all the presents are done” HoDong got to his feet, “I’ll bring out the Christmas dinner.” They all went to sit at the table while Eunsun and HoDong went to the kitchen.

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Did we like? I like Christmas, I’m excited about this year because it may be the best Christmas that we will have.