Real Family

The Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DaeSung'S POV

I went straight to ShinHwa Headquarters after I left the hotel.  WooBin Hyeong was about to leave for a meeting but he asked his secretary to postpone the meeting once he saw me at his door.

“Come in, DaeSung.” He sat down on his chair.  Put his elbows on the desk and leaned forward while his eyes fixed on mine, “So, you are here to give me updates?”

I sat down before his desk and said in a serious tone, “Sajang Nim, can we talk as friends?  Brother?  For a few minutes?”

WooBin gazed at me for a second and asked anxiously, “Something happened to my sister?

I wagged my both hands in front of my chest and smiled embarrassedly, “No, nothing happened to EunHi.  I have an idea.  Actually, CL and I have an idea that I would like to discuss with you.  And I think it would be easier for me to say it if you are not my boss.”

WooBin exhaled in relief and smiled as he leaned back on his chair, “Go ahead, DaeSung.  What have you and CL got in mind?”

I took a deep breath and cleared my throat, “Hyeong, you said it yourself that EunHi will not see anyone suffer in her account.  She sees you in that boy.  She will back away if she has to…”

WooBin tightened his brows together as he listened.  I slowly inhaled and continued, “Well, you are right.  EunHi did mention something like that to CL.  She is worried that she would become just like your mother…”

“Nonsense.  She would never do anything like that to the child like Mother did.  Never.” WooBin was certain about that.

“I know.  I agree with you.  But EunHi is still worried.  After all, Mrs. Kim was not an evil person from the beginning, if you see what I mean.”  I glanced at WooBin to see how he reacted to what I’ve just said.  To my relief, his eyes softened a little and his brows were relaxed a bit.

I continued, “I of course am not saying you are the reason of her changes.  It’s nobody’s fault.  Just the situation forced her to change.  What I want to say is, EunHi is worried that she would change under the similar circumstances.  She is afraid that she would feel the same threat with that boy, just like your mother felt with you.  And let’s be honest, it’s possible, especially in your circle.  Things like this happens now and then in the elite families like yours.  EunHi has every reason to hesitate and worry.”

WooBin slightly nodded his head but kept his silence.

“And you and I both know she loves him.  Very much.  Just like your mother loved your father.  That’s why your mother felt betrayed and resulted her to despise you.  It’s like history repeating itself, which scares EunHi.”

WooBin let out a heavy sigh and finally spoke, “So, what are you saying?  What’s your plan?”

I took a deep breath before I continued, “CL thinks your mother is the key.”

“Mother?” He sure looked surprise at what I suggested.

I nodded, “CL thinks that maybe your mother is the only one who can convince Hill that she can do it no matter what.  That she can love that boy as much as she will love her own children.”

WooBin slightly shook his head, “I don’t know about that, DaeSung.  You guys are suggesting a woman who despised the son of her husband for more than 20 years to tell her own daughter that she will not do the same to the kid of her fiancé.  You listening to what you’ve just said?  This doesn’t really make any sense.”

I swallowed, “It may sound silly.  I felt the same way when CL told me.  But then CL pointed out one important thing.  Even though the situations look similar, but they are not exactly the same.  Your mother felt betrayed and threatened because you showed up after EunHi was born, and your father was aware of your existence all along.  Mrs Kim was overwhelmed with joy and had all the hopes for her own baby and suddenly her husband brought home a boy he had with his lover.  How would you feel if you were her?”  I was not trying to put sugar on Mrs. Kim or rationalize her behavior, but it really was not exactly fair and easy for her when life hit her that way all of a sudden.

WooBin closed his eyes and let himself into his thoughts for a short while.  He opened his eyes and looked at me, “But it’s not the same case for my baby sister.  She actually has time to prepare herself and to ensure things won’t steer to the wrong direction.  Is that what you are trying to say?”

I gave him an affirmative nod with a big smile, “Exactly!”

WooBin tapped his index finger on the desk as he went through the idea in his mind once again.  I waited for his final decision.

“Alright!  What do you want me to do?” He asked.

I blinked a few times and smiled to him, “We think it would be best if you could talk to your mother and ask her to speak to…” I dared not finish as WooBin narrowed his brows and stared me in the eyes.  I gulped and pulled back slowly to keep my distance from him.

WooBin leaned forward with his elbow on the desk and bent his index finger to tell me to move closer.  I forced a smile and reluctantly moved forward a little bit.

“You want me to go talk to Mother about your grand plan?” He asked.

“It’s actually CL’s idea.”

He flicked his finger on my forehead when I least expected and said, “Alright!  I’ll talk to her about this.  I’ll tell her what’s on EunHi’s mind and she can decide what she wants to do.”

I put my hand on my forehead and rubbed, “Hyeong, it hurts!”

He looked at me sideways, “Well, you put me on a difficult mission here.  That flick is nothing.”

I rolled my eyes as I rubbed my forehead.

“Kang Siljang, did you just roll your eyes at me?” WooBin gave me another sideways look.

I jumped on my feet and said, “No, Sajang Nim!”

He smirked, “Now get out!  Go back to the hotel.  I’ll let you know after I speak to my mother.”

“Yes, Sajang Nim!  Thank you.” I bowed.

Just before I walked out the door, WooBin said, “DaeSung?”

I turned around to find him looking at me with a gracious smile, “Thank you.  Send my regards to CL as well.”

“You’re welcome, Hyeong!” I nodded.

*  *  *

SeungHyun's POV

I didn’t go back to the office.  I went to the new house instead.  OUR new house.

The house was fully furnished and we could move in any time we wanted.  I didn’t tell anyone but I bought this house way back when we first were to engage.   When Hilary decided to stay in Paris, I thought about selling the house but I just couldn’t.  I always hoped that one day Hilary might change her mind and we would be together again.

Things did turn out the way I hoped.  I paid double to have the house renovated in a short period of time.  I chose every single piece of furniture in the house myself.  All I wanted is to show Hilary our new home.  Tell her how much I wanted to come home to her every day and how happy our life together would be.  Everything was supposed to work out perfectly until Krystal came back with her little secret and hit us all hard.

I didn’t even get the chance to bring Hilary to our new home and suddenly everything seemed to be flipped upside down.

I brushed my hand on the furniture and walls as I walked around the house.  Imagining Hilary was in the kitchen cooking us dinner.  Us sitting on the luxury sofa watching TV.  Dancing along with the music in the garden.

Suddenly, Hilary’s face flashed across my mind.  The look she had when she backed away from me at the entrance of the hotel this morning.  Those tears wobbled in her swollen eyes.  I sat on the stairs and covered my face with both hands, “What have I done?  I’m sorry, Hilary!  I’m sorry!”

I could not bear the thought of her leaving me again.  I would not allow it.  We have come this far.  But how was I to make her believe that no matter what happened, I would always love her and she would always be my first priority.  What should I do to make her understand that as long as we loved each other, we would be able to give the boy a complete family, not that I have decided to take the boy though.

I rubbed my face with both hands and just about when I was to stand up and leave, my phone rang.

It was Mrs. Kim.

*  *  *

Mrs. Kim did not mention why she wanted to see me.  She just told me to meet her at her office immediately and hung up.  My driver took me to ShinHwa’s Headquarters and when I got out of the car, DaeSung was there waiting for me.

“Choi Sajang Nim!” DaeSung bowed his head.

“You are here?  What about Hilary?  Aren’t you supposed to be with her?” I asked.

DaeSung smiled, “CL and Dara are with her.  My men are guarding at her door.  You don’t have to worry.  This way please!  Mrs. Kim and Sajang Nim are waiting for you in Mrs. Kim’s office.”

DaeSung nodded his head and led the way.  I followed him to Mrs. Kim’s office and just when he was about to knock on the door, he turned to me and asked seriously, “I’m asking you as EunHi’s brother.  You haven’t changed your mind of marrying her, have you?”

I looked him in the eyes and assured him, “I will marry no one but her.”

DaeSung breathed out in relief and smiled, “Good.”  He knocked the door twice and WooBin Hyeong said from the inside, “Come in!”

DaeSung opened the door and gestured me to go in, “Mrs. Kim, Choi Sajang Nim is here.”

“Sit down, SeungHyun.” Mrs. Kim said without looking up.

“Yes.” I sat down on the seat opposite to WooBin Hyeong.  I nodded my head to him but he didn’t respond at all.  He was expressionless.

I turned to Mrs. Kim and said, “You wanted to see me…”

Mrs. Kim picked up her cup and took a sip of tea before she spoke, “You should well remember what I have reminded you before our last dinner.”

I remembered.  Her warning.  She warned me not to hurt her daughter.

“I said that would be the first and last time I ever talked to you about that.” Mrs. Kim said without showing much emotion in her tone or facial expression.

I swallowed, “Yes.”

“Yes?  So, what is this mess that you have come up with now?  A 7 year-old son?  Are you kidding me, Choi SeungHyun?” She threw me a sideways glare as she said.

I glanced at WooBin Hyeong who had his arms folded across his chest now and he sure did not look too happy.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Kim.” I wanted to tell her that nothing has changed and I still loved her daughter very much, but I was also afraid that she would not believe whatever I said now.  I suddenly realized that except to apologize for what has happened, I somehow didn’t know what to say.

Mrs. Kim put her cup down and asked, “Sorry?  You think a simple apology will do?  My daughter will not be hurting and everything will be just fine?”

“I don’t mean that, Mrs. Kim.  I know I hurt Hilary, but it is never my intention to hurt her.  I really have no idea I have a son...” I tried to explain myself, but she wouldn’t let me.

“You have no idea.  Are you telling me ever since Krystal showed up in New York, you have never wondered why she would show up all of a sudden, after 7 years, just before you get married?”  She glared at me right in the eyes which made me drew back unconsciously.

She knew.  She knew Krystal and I met in New York.  She knew all along.

“You must be wondering how did I know you two met in New York.  I don’t mind telling you the truth.  You were away for longer than expected.  I got suspicious.  So, I had someone

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter