You Can Never Win

The Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hilary's POV

I still remembered I once promised SeungHyun I would pay him a visit at his office.  But I never imagined I would really come to find him for this reason instead.

The security guards at the lobby bowed politely to me, "Good morning, Kim Isa Nim.  Jonmu Nim has arrived half an hour ago.  His office is on the 28th floor.  This way please!"

The guard showed me the way and helped me press the button for the elevator.  I nodded my head to him with a slight smile.  The elevator arrived.  He held the door for me and said, "Kim Isa Nim, please!  I'll help you press the button."

"It's OK.  I can do it." I said.

"Yes, Kim Isa Nim." He gave me a 90-degree bow as he said.

A guy ran towards us and wanted to get into the elevator, but the guard stopped him and said, "Wait for the next one!  Kim Isa Nim, please go ahead."

"It's OK.  Let him in!"  I said.

The guy looked up at me in shock and bowed, "Sorry, Kim Isa Nim.  I'll take the next one!"

I let out a sigh and pressed the close button.  So, the whole world knew about our engagement already.

*  *  *

There were already two girls waited at the lift lobby when the elevator door opened at the 28th floor.  They both bowed at me.

"Kim Isa Nim, welcome!  Jonmu Nim is waiting for you.  Please follow me!" One of the girls said.

I followed the girls to SeungHyun's office with my head up high.

"Jonmu Nim, Kim Isa Nim is here!" The girl led me inside his office.

"Jang Biseo, give us coffee please!" SeungHyun said.

"It's OK.  Just leave us!" I said.

Jang Biseo looked up at SeungHyun and he slightly nodded his head to signal her to leave.

I said when the secretary has left us, "Fix this!  Now!"

"Fix what?"

I glared at him and said, "The announcement.  We are not going to engage.  Issue a statement to clear things out immediately."

"Why do I have to do that?"

I gritted my teeth and threw him a death glare, "Why are you doing this to me?"

"What is wrong with two people getting engaged if they are in love?" SeungHyun sat down on the sofa and crossed his legs like a boss.

I sat down on the sofa beside his and said, "SeungHyun, please!  Don't make this difficult for everyone.  Don't make me to do something that will hurt everyone at the end.  Please!"

He looked me in the eyes and asked, "I don't understand.  I really don't.  I know you don't want to have an arranged marriage.  Neither do I.  But we love each other.  Not to mention, we met way before this marriage is arranged.  So, what's the problem here?  Why are you so against it?  Why won't you marry me?"

How could I make him let go?  I couldn't tell him about WooBin Oppa.  How could I make him understand?

I grabbed my bag and stood up, "Clear things out right away or you'll regret this later."

SeungHyun reached out his arm and grabbed my hand, "Hilary, tell me why.  Let me fight your battle with you.  I told you, if it's really that bad, I'll take you away.  I promise."

I shook my head, "Just listen to me.  Set the record straight before it's too late.  Please!"

I turned around and left without another word.  He didn't chase after me either.  The secretaries followed me to the lift lobby.

"Go back to your work!" I said to them.  Both gave me a 90-degree bow and backed away.

I let out a heavy sigh as I got into the escalator.

*  *  *

JiYong's POV

I was totally shocked when I saw the announcement.

Joining of ShinHwa Group and T.O.P Corporation by Marriage
Kim EunHi and Choi SeungHyun getting engaged in 2 weeks.

The sudden annoucement shocked the whole South Korea.  The stock price of ShinHwa and T.O.P immediately rose at least 2% in one morning.  I couldn't focus on work whatsoever.  So, that was why they kissed last Saturday.  They were playing games all along and I just happened to be one of the obstacles that they had to conquer to step up to the next level.  I picked up my phone and left the office.  I needed to go clear things out with Hilary.  I just couldn't wait until tonight.

*  *  *

"Is Hilary here?" I said to DaeSung.

He bowed to me and said, "Kwon Sangmu Nim, Kim Isa Nim is not back at the office yet.  May I take a message?"

I pushed him aside and said, "I'll wait inside."

"Kwon Sangmu Nim..." He tried to stop me, but I barged into Hilary's office anyway.

This was the first time I came to her office.  Her office was quite big and she had a painting of Eiffel Tower on the wall behind her desk.  On the chest under the painting, there were a bunch gerbera daisies in a crystal vase.  I stepped closer to have a look and realized they were actually dried flowers.  So, Hilary liked gerbera daisies.

"You're here?"

The voice startled me and I accidentally knocked the vase down as I turned around.  The vase fell on the floor and some of the dried daisies were crushed.  I looked up at Hilary and found her stared at the daisies with her brows drawn together.

"I'm sorry.  I'll buy you another vase." I walked over to her but her eyes were fixed at the flowers and didn't give me any response.

She let out a sigh and walked over to the chest.  I watched her from behind quietly.  She crouched down beside the broken vase and picked up those undamaged flowers.

"I'll buy you some new ones.  Just leave it and ask the cleaning lady to clear them away." I said.

She carefully picked up the flowers and didn't bother to reply me.  I walked over to her and grabbed her arm, "I said leave it."

I pulled her arm and she accidentally cut her finger with a broken piece of glass.

"God!  Put the flowers down.  Let me look at it." I tried to pull her up on her feet but she said, "It's ok.  Only a small cut."

She stood up with the flowers in the other hand.  I pulled her to the sofa and shouted, "Kang Biseo!"

DaeSung rushed in immediately, "Yes, Kim Isa Nim."  He was shocked when she saw Hilary's bleeding finger, "I'll go get the first-aid box."

I held her finger up and snatched a few tissues to wipe off the blood on her finger, "Lucky that the cut is not too deep."

She put down the flowers on the coffee table and said, "It's alright.  It doesn't hurt much."

"I told you to leave it.  Why didn't you listen to me?" I put firm pressure on her finger to stop the bleeding as I said.

DaeSung came in again with the first-aid box, "Here!"  He passed me the box and said to the cleaning lady, "Clean up the broken vase and flowers.  Be careful and make sure all the broken pieces are cleared."

DaeSung stepped up to the coffee table and asked, "Kim Isa Nim, should I clear these as well?"

"No.  Get me a new vase for them." Hilary said with an expressionless face.

DaeSung carefully picked up the flowers and bowed, "Yes, Kim Isa Nim.  I'll make sure no broken glass in the flowers."

I looked at Hilary and tried to study her face to figure out why she cared about the flowers so much.  She pulled away her finger and said, "Thank you.  Why are you here?"

She leaped over the broken pieces of the vase and stepped behind her desk.  I glanced at the cleaning lady and said, "Can you come back to clean that up later?"

The cleaning lady looked up at me and then at Hilary.  Hilary glanced at me and said to the cleaning lady, "Just continue!"

She then looked up at me and said, "Have a seat first!"

I sat down in front of her desk and watched h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter