Still Possible?

The Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SeungHyun's POV

"What are you talking about?" Hilary asked in her shaky voice as she looked me in the eyes.  

I took her hand and dragged her to opposite corner.  I pulled up a painting among the ones on the floor.  Hilary inhaled sharply as she saw what was in my hands.

"Where...  Where did you get this?" She took the painting from my hands and asked as tears fell down her cheeks.

"What do you think?" My heartbeats quickened since I started to panic which I didn't exactly know why.

Hilary looked up at me and asked slowly word by word, "JiYong found it and brought it back?"

I nodded.

Tears kept pouring down from her eyes as she stumbled backwards a little since her knees gone weak on her.  I grabbed her waist and pulled her back on her feet.  She stepped away from me and said, "But why?"

I took a deep breath, "Because he knows very well what you have been through and how you really feel."

She looked me in the eyes for a long while before she spoke again, "He sent this to you?"

I gazed at her and nodded.

"He has this planned all this time?"

I nodded.

"Including his proposal to me?"

I nodded.

Hilary shut her eyes as tears poured down.  She clutched the painting in her hand and turned around to leave.

"Hilary!"  I called her from behind.

She held her steps and shook her head as she said, "SeungHyun, I can't.  I can't do this.  I'm sorry."

"HILARY!"

She left without looking back.

*  *  *

JiYong's POV

I didn't call or text Hilary since that night for I didn't know what else I could say to her.  I didn't want to linger to what we seemed to have if I had to let go soon.  After all, I decided to let go long time ago, on the day SeungHyun Hyeong left Paris.  I knew this day would come and it was just a matter of time for me to get used to it.  Kwon JiYong would not break apart because of a single woman.  Life would still go on.

"Kwon Sangmu Nim, Kim Isa Nim is here to see you!"  Yoo Biseo came into my office and said.

I looked up at her and hesitated.  Just before I could answer her, Hilary burst into my room.  Her eyes were all red as if she has cried hard before she came.  She gritted her teeth as she stared me in the eyes.

I waved my hand at Yoo Biseo and signaled her to leave us.  I walked over to the sofa and asked casually, "What brings you here?"

Hilary put a frame on the coffee table and sat down on the sofa, "What is this?"  I looked at it and found it was SeungHyun Hyeong's portrait.  So, he has finally made his move.

"Your painting." I said as if nothing happened.

"Yes, my painting.  I threw it away two months ago.  In Paris.  Do you mind telling me why is it here?  In Seoul." Tears filled her eyes already.

I glanced at her and said, "I bought it from a beggar and sent it back two months ago.  On the day I moved into your loft."

"Why?"  Her tears were about to fall any second.

"Because I know you threw it away for the wrong reason.  You threw it away like a coward since you didn't want to face the fact that you still love him.  You hurt so bad inside since you made him leave.  And you thought throwing the painting away would throw away the pain.  But the pain just grew stronger and stronger since your love for him grew deeper and deeper each day." I glared her back as I said.

A tear fell down her cheek as she said, "You followed me to the river bank that day.  Didn't you?"

I nodded, "Yes.  I was worried about you.  And I knew you would do something as stupid as leaving the bracelet behind.  So, I followed you."

She looked away as her tears fell down.  She brushed away her tears and took a deep breath before she asked, "And you proposed to me just to bring me back to Seoul?"

I inhaled slowly and nodded, "Yes."

"Kwon Ji Yong!"  She gave me a sharp stare.

"What?  I had to find a way, OK?  I tried everything I could but you just wouldn't change your mind.  I tried to pack your bags and dragged you out; but you wouldn't budge.  I tried to persuade you and talked you to it; but you wouldn't listen.  In the past two months, I tried so many times in so many ways.  Nothing but my proposal worked." I slightly raised my voice at her for I somehow was a little angry which I didn't really know why.

"And I said yes to you." She muttered sadly.

"Yes.  You said yes to me because of your guilty conscience since you think you owe me.  Not because you love me.  Because you think it will be better than marrying someone your mother chose for you and not to mention it will be a good way to save your brother.  Not because you think I'm the one you should be married to." I said in a straight tone.

She lowered her head down to her chest at my words since she knew very well what I said was true and nothing but the truth.

"But don't get me wrong though.  I'm not mad at you at all.  I knew from day one where your heart belongs.  My proposal to you is merely a strategy, my last resort.  I decided long ago that my mission is to bring you back to where you belong, then I'll let you go.  I'm willing to let you go since I know you'll be happier with him.  I tried and I fought for it, so I have no regrets.  And you should fight for it yourself too."

"Why can't you just leave me in Paris?  Why do you have to do all these for me?  I've already owed you too much.  How am I going to repay you?  How am I to live with this guilt inside me?" Hilary covered her face with both hands and broke down in tears.

I moved to her side and hugged her in my arms, "Don't cry, Hill!  I don't want to see your tears no more.  I just want you to be happy.  And you don't owe me anything since whatever I did, I did it because I wanted to.  Because I believed I myself would be happy too.  No one can force Kwon JiYong to do something he doesn't want to do.  You should know that very well."

She slid her arms around me and hugged me back, "JiYong, I'm sorry.  I'm really sorry."

"Shhh...  Don't apologize!  I don't need your apologies.  If you want to, a simple 'thank you' will do.  Just fight for what you want and don't be a coward anymore.  Live happily with him.  That's how you can repay me."

She shook her head in my arms, "NO!  How can I?  I said yes to you.  How can I go back to him?"

I pulled her away and looked her in the eyes, "Hill, listen to me.  My proposal to you was never real.  I'm not going to marry you even if you are not going back to him.  Do you hear me?"

A tear fell down her cheek as she uttered, "But..."

I put my index finger on her lips and said, "I realized one thing on that day at the airport when I saw you ran around to look for him.  That is, you will not live happily unless you are with him.  You pushed him away against your own heart with a reason.  But that reason is nothing if you two can work together.  I'm sure.  There are a lot of misunderstanding between you two that kept you guys apart.  Both of you just need a chance, a little push, to find your way back to each other."

I gently brushed her cheek and continued as I pointed my finger up, "I guess HE chose me to guide you two to the right track again.  You know?  Cupid JiYong!"  I winked at her with a smirk.

She drew her brows together even tighter as she pouted.  I slightly pinched her nose and said, "From now on, you are only allowed to pout at one man on earth."

"Kwon JiYong!" She pouted again.

"Miss Kim, how many times do I have to remind you?  I'm older than you are.  Stop calling me by my full name!" I snapped my fingers on her forehead and pretended to be angry at her.

She pursed her lips as she rubbed her forehead.  I let out a soft laugh and pulled her close to myself, "Hill, remember what you promised me?  In Paris and that day at your suite?"

She slightly nodded her head.

"You promised me that you will not back away from your mother anymore, before we left Paris.  And you promised me to be honest to yourself and follow your heart the other day.  Remember?" I genty her hair and kissed her on the head.

She nodded.

"Keep your promises if you want to repay me!   Be brave and fight for whatever you want.  Can you do that f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter