Sleepless Night

The Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

SeungHyun's POV

Although no official announcement was made and they kept everything low-profile, rumors about Hilary's return and her dating JiYong still spread around within a few days.  Everyone in the circle talked about it now.  Even my staff gave me the pitiful look whenever they saw me.  The pain inside was burning me like hell; yet I still had to put up a serene expression on my face as if it had nothing to do with me and I didn't care a tiny bit of it.

I went back to my office after the lunch meeting with the marketing team.  The intercom buzzed right when I stepped behind my desk.

"Yes?"

"Jonmu Nim, Miss Jenny Park is on the phone for you."  Jang Biseo said.

I let out a heavy sigh and hesitated.  I had been ignoring Jenny's calls since this morning and I thought she would give up somehow; but instead, she called to my office finally.

"Put her through." I said.

"Yes, Jonmu Nim!"

I took a deep breath and said, "Hello!"

"SeungHyun?  I've been calling you since this morning." She didn't sound angry at all, instead she sounded a little worry.

"I was at the meeting the whole morning." I replied.

"Oh, did you have lunch yet?  I can bring you food.  What do you want to eat?"

"I already had lunch with my staff.  Is there something you want to talk to me about?" I asked.

"Oh, yes.  I almost forgot.  JiYong is hosting a dinner with his close friends at the Grills tonight.  What time are you picking me up?"

I let out a laugh quietly for I didn't get any invitation to the dinner she mentioned nor did I have the mood to join, "I'm not going tonight.  You have fun."

"Not going?  Why?  JiYong said he's expecting both of us to join.  Come on, SeungHyun.  JiYong sounded like he has some announcement to make.  Maybe it's about the engagement.  As his friends, don't you think we should be there to celebrate with him?"

To celebrate with him?  Me?  To go celebrate his engagement to the woman who ran away on mine?  This was the most absurd thing I have ever heard in my whole life.

"Jenny, I'm not going.  I have to get back to work.  You have fun tonight."

I was to hang up but heard her say, "I don't care.  I'll come to your office at 6:30p.m.  We can go......"

"I'll go pick you up at 6:30p.m." I had no choice but to give in since I didn't want her to come to my office.

"Good!" She sounded very excited, which I didn't know why.  She continued, "I'll see you later then.  Don't work too hard!"

I let out a heavy sigh and hung up.  I leaned back and rested my head on the back of the chair as I closed my eyes.

"Hyeong!"

I gritted my teeth as I straightened my back, "What now?"

SeungRi looked at me and asked, "Judging by the look on your face, you've heard?"

I glanced at him and said, "I really should delegate more projects to you, so that you don't have time to gossip."

He rolled his eyes and said, "Anything about my brother is no gossip.  I take them very seriously, OK?"

I let out a soft laugh and said, "Thank you, my brother!"

"Are you going tonight?" He asked.

I sighed, "Do I have a choice?"  I pulled out the file from my in-tray as I said.

"What do you mean?" SeungRi looked at me suspiciously, "Don't tell me it's that Jenny Park again!"

I slightly raised my eyes to glance at him.  He slammed both of his hands on my desk and said, "Hyeong, stay away from Jenny Park, will you?  This is no revenge if that's Jenny Park.  Suicide, it is.  How can I make you understand?"

"Who says anything about revenge?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes and let out a laugh, "Yeah, right!  This has nothing to do with revenging Hilary and you expect me to believe you?"

I glared at him, "I don't need you to believe me."

"Hyeong, why do you still keep that painting in your bedroom then?  If you really are over Hilary, you should have thrown it away when you took it down from that wall behind you." SeungRi pointed at the wall behind my desk and continued, "But instead you put it back up in your bedroom?  It's either you are still in love with her or you just want to remind yourself day and night what this woman has done to you.  A or B?"

I shook my head, "Get out!"

"Answer me first!"

I threw him a death glare, "I don't owe you any explanation.  GET OUT!"

"Do you want me to tell Mom about the painting?  I bet she's more than happy to take it down and burn it into ashes." He glared at me back as he spoke.

I threw him a sharp glare and said, "You won't dare!"

"Watch me!"  He raised his eyebrows and smirked before he turned around to leave.

"I'll kill you if anyone touches that painting.  I swear." I slightly raised my voice at him from behind.

He stopped at the door and slightly turned around, "Hyeong, if you still love her, just tell her before it's too late."  He let out a heavy sigh as he shook his head, "Don't worry!  I won't tell Mom.  But it's not because I'm afraid to die.  It's because I know it will kill you if anything happens to that painting.  And I love you very much, my brother!  That's why I keep bursting in to your rooms to tell you not to do anything stupid, if you haven't noticed."

Just when I was about to say something, SeungRi walked out of the office without looking back.  I of course knew my little brother cared about me and I appreciated it very much too.  But I was too used to handle everything on my own, rather than to share with my thoughts with anyone, including my brother.

*  *  *

JiYong's POV

Although Hilary and I agreed on not making any official announcement on our engagement, I still wanted to inform our close friends personally.  So, I decided to invite our close friends to dinner to announce our engagement.  Hilary had reservation on the idea at first, but finally gave in and agreed.  We didn't invite too many people.  Only our real close friends, including SeungHyun Hyeong of course.

Hilary was a little tensed up ever since I picked her up at the hotel.  She sat at the corner alone while I discussed the dinner arrangements with the restaurant manager.  It was good that Minzy and DaeSung arrived early and kept her company.

I walked over to them and sat beside Hilary, "So, how is my girl doing?"  I wrapped my arm around her waist said with a smile.  Minzy looked at me and said, "JiYong Oppa, may I remind you once again.  If you ever hurt my Hilary, Onni and I will kill you.  Don't say I didn't warn you!"  DaeSung looked at her instantly with wide-eyes and she smiled shyly at him.

I chuckled as I squeezed Hilary in my arms, "Ask Miss Kim yourself!  Have I done anything she hates?  Have I argued with her if she said 1 plus 1 equals to 3?  Or have I pushed her to do anything she didn't want to do?"

Hilary elbowed me at the ribs with a smile.  I chuckled as I nipped her by the chin.

"Yahh...  You two.  We are still here." Minzy complained.  DaeSung was so quiet and gazed at me all along as if he wanted to see through me.  To x-ray me.

"We're here."  Dara and WooBin Hyeong arrived.  I slightly nodded my head to WooBin but he didn't give me any response.  I took a glimpse at Hilary to find her gazed at her brother with a pout.  I grabbed her hand to give her strength and said to WooBin, "Hyeong, want a drink?"

WooBin glanced at me and said while staring at Hilary, "No, I don't feel like drinking tonight."  I could feel that Hilary trembled a little as her brother spoke.  I gave Dara a quick glance to gesture her to say something.  She glanced at me and said to WooBin, "But I want a drink.  Have one with me, OK?"  She looked up at WooBin with her puppy eyes which made him softened a little and smiled.  She took his hand and led her to the mini-bar at the other end of the room.

I whispered to Hilary, "I'm here."  She looked up at me and forced a weak smile.  I gently brushed her cheek and just when I was about to kiss her on the forehead, CL said from behind, "Brother, save that at home!  Jeez..."

Hilary blushed instantly and while CL laughed out loud.  I threw her a sharp glare and said, "Kwon ChaeRin, mind yourself!  Don't let me catch you snogging SeungRi tonight.  Otherwise, I'll sew your lips together."

"Ouch!" CL covered her lips and looked at SeungRi with her so-called cute puppy eyes.  Every laughed out loud including Hilary.

"JiYong Hyeong, this is not fair.  You can't seal my baby's lips while you yourself can get away with it.  Let's play a game!  Anyone here tonight snog their partner will be punished.  How's that?" SeungRi said with a smirk.

I let out a laugh, "Ha ha...  Choi SeungRi, are you really confident that you will win?  I mean, you and my lovely sister just can't get enough of each other."

"Oppa!" CL blushed.  Very rare.  But she really blushed.

"DaeSung, you in?" I turned to DaeSung and asked.  DaeSung blinked a few times at me and then glanced at Minzy, "Me?"

"DaeSung Oppa, don't be shy!" Hilary .  He blushed and didn't know how to answer; but Minzy answered for him, "We're in.  We'll definitely win.  Don't worry, Oppa!"  She patted DaeSung on the shoulder and made him blush even harder.

"What is the punishment?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter