The Missing Screwdriver

The Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hilary's POV

I stared at the red jewelry box in my hands and dared not open it.  My heart started to pound faster and faster as if it was about to jump out from my mouth.  I didn't know why but I had a strange feeling about what it was inside the box as well as whom it was from.  But it couldn't be.  I jerked my head and inhaled deeply and slowly.

"Hill?" JiYong patted me on the shoulder.  I looked up at him and he looked at me with puzzled eyes, "What is it?  Open it!"

I took a deep breath and said, "I don't know why, but I'm a little scared."

JiYong stepped away from the counter and came to my front.  He gazed me in the eyes and finally got what I meant, "You think it's HIM?"

I gasped and tears filled my eyes already.  JiYong gently brushed my cheek and said, "Open it!  You won't know until you open it, will you?"

I wrinkled my brow and shook my head, "You open it for me."

He pushed my hands and said, "No.  You have to open it yourself.  It's just a jewelry box.  It won't bite, Hill."

I looked at him with puppy eyes to beg him to open it for me; but he shook his head and said firmly, "I won't open it for you."

I let out a heavy sigh and put the box down, "I'll open the others first."  I picked up the second carton box and just when I was to peer off the tape from the box, JiYong snatched the box from my hand and said, "Open this one first!  Those two can wait!"

I frowned, "They are mine.  I can open whichever I want."

"Of course.  But since you already unwrapped this one, you may as well open it first."  He stuffed the red box back to my hands and gave me an affirmative nod.  I pouted.

"Why are you so scared to open it?  Even if it's from him, he won't send you a snake to bite your finger.  Judging by the size of this box, it's either a watch or a bracelet.  Meaning he is not sending you a ring to propose to you.  So, you really don't have to worry.  At least, I'm not!" He gave me a smirk and took the other two parcels away from the counter.

"KWON JI YONG!"

He pinched me on the nose and said, "For the last time, STOP CALLING ME BY MY FULL NAME!  I'm older than you, Miss Kim!  Where are your manners?"

I rolled my eyes and didn't bother to argue with him on that.  He laughed softly and said, "Just open it!  If you want to open it alone, I can wait outside."  I looked up at him and hesitated.

"Do you want me to give you a few minutes?" He asked again.

I shook my head, "Stay!"  He smiled, "OK!  Go on!  Open it!"

*  *  *

SeungHyun's POV

I again found myself at the river bank.  Alone.  I didn't want to go home just yet tonight.  If I was to stay in my room alone, I might as well stayed here and stared at the lights in the buildings across the river.  Let the cool breeze caress my face.  I never felt so lonely before.  Not even when I broke up with my first girlfriend.  But now, the loneliness was too overwhelmed that it seemed to be filled the air which made me difficult to breathe.

I reached into the pocket and clutched it firmly in my hand.

*  *  *

WooBin's POV

"Do you think JiYong can bring her back?" I asked Dara on the way back to her place after a full day meeting.

Dara looked up at me and asked, "What do you think?"

I shrugged, "I don't know.  But JiYong sounded so confident on the phone."

"Then, let's just trust him for once.  After all, there's nothing we can do at the moment." Dara grabbed my hand and smiled.

I held her hand up to my lips and planted a kiss on the back of her hand.  She blushed a little as she looked away.  I smiled, "I sent her something.  Hope she'll like it!"

"You did?  Good for you.  What is it?" She asked excitedly.

I shrugged with a smile.

*  *  *

Hilary's POV

I slowly opened the box and couldn't help but gasp as I saw what was inside.

It was a timeless piece from Cartier.  The LOVE bracelet.  In pink gold and studded with diamonds.  

I held the bracelet in my hand and tears started to form in my eyes.

JiYong snatched the box from my hand and examined it from top to bottom, "No note?  No sender name.  No note in the box.  Man, is he really this confident that you will know who this is from?"

I didn't give him any respond for I was drowned in my own thoughts.  I clutched the bracelet in my hand and a tear fell down my cheek finally.  I wiped away my tear and grabbed the box from JiYong.

"What are you doing?  You are not going to wear it?" JiYong asked.

I shook my head and put the bracelet back into the box.

"Why?  He sent you a LOVE bangle.  Why are you putting it away?" JiYong asked.

I took a deep breath to hold my tears before I spoke, "Are you not aware that the screwdriver is missing?"

JiYong looked at me with puzzled eyes.  I closed the box and stepped behind the counter to grab my Chanel, "Can you look after the shop for me?  Sandy will be here any minute."

"Where are you going?" JiYong asked with a worry face.

I forced a smile to him and said, "I just want to go for a walk.  Don't worry!  I'll be fine."  I held the Cartier box close to my chest as I stepped away from the counter.  I briefly kissed JiYong on the cheek and walked out of the shop.

"Hill!" He called my name from behind but I left without looking back.

*  *  *

Tears poured down my cheeks right as I stepped out of the shop.  I didn't want to cry in front of JiYong for I didn't want to make him worry nor did I want to let him see me break down.  I clutched the box in my arms tightly.  The pain on my chest made me difficult to breathe.

Why did he send me this?

Cartier's LOVE collection was an iconic symbol of love.  The screw motifs symbolized the seal of love and passionate romance.  One would need the custom-made screwdriver to screw on and off the bracelet.  I immediately realized the screwdriver was missing when I first laid eyes on the bracelet.  That was why it hurt so much as much as I was sure whom it was from.

I sat down on the long bench at the river bank.  I could somehow see the view of the Han River in front of my eyes, as if I was at his secret hiding place.  I felt a heavy punch on my chest and made my tears pour down uncontrollably.

"Do you really mean what I think you mean?" I mumbled to myself.

I took out my phone from my bag and retrieved a selfie of us at Minzy's party.  I still remembered he wrapped one arm around my waist and nudged his head to mine when he took this picture.  We both smiled happily and looked so in love.  It was the only picture we took together.  The only one.

I pulled out his contact and placed my finger on the screen.  A slight slide would make the call.  But I hesitated.  What SHOULD I say to him?  What else COULD I say to him?  Tears fell down and wet the phone screen.  I brushed away my tears and stuffed the phone back to my bag.  I opened the box again and stared at the bracelet.  It really was a beautiful bracelet.  Out of the three colours, pink gold was the one I liked most.  Was it coincidence or could he read my mind?  It was really strange that he seemed to know very well what I liked.

Of all kinds of flowers, he sent me gerbera daisies.  Not roses, not lilies.

Of all kinds of cuisines, he chose French just when I missed Paris most.

Of all the important things he had in hand, he appeared at my suite at just the right timing to safe my life.

Of all the places I could be, he found me at the river bank while nobody could.

Of all the stupid things I did, he still forgave me again and again.

Of all the colours, he chose pink and silver as the wrapping of my gift.

If this was our fate, what was it telling me?  I suddenly realized a lot has happened between us during the past six months.  All memories that I was sure I would never forget.

I have made many choices in the past months.  No matter good or bad, I lived with all the consequences that came after and never regretted anyone of them.  Even some crushed my heart but I didn't regret of making the choices I had to make.

But today, I was no longer certain of my decisions.  I started to doubt my choices.  I stared at the bracelet and finally realized what he wanted to tell me.

It was already too late now.

It was really OVER now.

I put the box down on the bench and left without looking back.....

*  *  *

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two months later.....

"Miss Kim, are you ready?  I've been sitting here for an hour.  What is taking you so long to get ready?  I thought we have packed everything last night." JiYong folded his arms across his chest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter