Coincidence and Accident

The Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, both SeungHyun and Hilary didn't sleep at all.

Both stared at the painting on the wall behind their bed and thought of the other all night.

Both took the painting down from the wall at their office; yet both didn't throw it away.

Both put the painting back up in their bedroom instead.

Both let go; yet both not able to forget about the love they once shared.

Both had someone beside them now; yet both hearts never been opened to anyone else.

Both tried to act cool when they saw each other; yet both still felt the pain and jealousy inside them.

Both thought the other has moved on; yet both were not.

♡ ♡ ♡

Hilary's POV

The sun rose and the sunlight pierced through the draperies into my bedroom.  I laid flat on the bed with both hands under my head.  My head ached so bad that it felt like there were ten hammers hitting on my head and it was about to explode.  I slipped off the bed and went to the living room to get an aspirin.  I took one immediately and hoped it would ease off the pain soon.

I went back into the bedroom, then to the bathroom.  I filled the bathtub with hot water and took off my clothes.  Just when I was about to step into the tub, I thought of that day.  The day when I was sick and fainted in the bathtub which I almost drowned myself in the water.  If SeungHyun didn't come that night, I would probably be dead.

I let out a heavy sigh and sunk myself into the tub.  The hot water stung my skin.  I added a few drops of the relaxing bath oil into the water and leaned back on the tub.  I closed my eyes as I dived into the water and hoped the hot water could either wash away my tangled thoughts and messy feelings or help me to mull things over somehow.

*  *  *

SeungHyun's POV

I finished a whole bottle of wine alone last night.  Yet, I still couldn't sleep.  My eyelids were heavy but my mind was too awakened.  I slipped off the bed and stepped into the bathroom.  I supported myself with both hands on the counter as I looked at myself in the mirror.

"What is wrong with you, Choi SeungHyun?"  I mumbled to myself.  I thought I could get over it.  I thought nothing about her could shaken up anything for me.  But last night proved me all wrong.  She still had that power over me.  And she did shaken up my world.

I ran my fingers into my hair and sighed.  I then took off my clothes and stepped into the shower.  I let the cold water run on me from head to toe.  I needed the cold water to clear my head and wake myself up.  To remind myself that everything ended, two months ago, on her birthday.  She moved on.  So should I.  There was no reason to hang on to it anymore.

*  *  *

JiYong's POV

I woke up with a headache and weird stomach.  I couldn't remember how I got home nor could I recall if anyone took Hilary back to the hotel safely.  But I still remembered what I saw in the restaurant corridor last night.  I still remembered how it felt to see the woman I loved in the arms of another man.  I also remembered the look on Hilary's face when she turned around and saw me behind her.  No matter how I prepared myself for it, the tint of fright and guilt in her eyes once again hit my heart like heavy punches.

I jerked my head and sat up straight on the bed.  I grabbed my phone from the bedside table and checked if I had any missed calls or text messages.  None.  None from Hilary.  I let out a sigh and texted her instead.

JY: [Hill, did you have a good night sleep last night?  I just woke up.]

I went into the bathroom to shower after I sent out the text message.  I came back after 20 minutes and still no reply from her.  I changed and went downstairs to grab something to eat.

"Kwon JiYong, you were drunk again last night?" I looked up to find my mother had her hands on her waist and glared at me, while CL sat beside her and smirked at me.

I dragged my body to the sofa and dropped myself on it, "Mom, my head hurts so bad.  So, don't start your lecture now!"

She threw me another sharp glare and asked, "When are you going to bring Hilary home?  Aren't we supposed to have dinner together and you formally announced your engagement to us?  I mean, you totally messed up the priorities and jumped all the steps.  Are you going to fly away for two months again and come back to tell me you are married in Vegas?"

CL chuckled.  I rolled my eyes and said, "Mom, it's not like you haven't met Hilary before.  Why bother to follow those customary practice?"

Mother let out a cold laugh and said, "Is it because she doesn't want to meet us?"

I looked up at her immediately and said firmly, "Of course not.  It's because I don't think it's necessary."

"Then why?" She asked suspiciously.

I shrugged, "I just don't think it's necessary.  Why do you want to meet her so badly anyway?  Are you going to lecture her on how to be a wife in the Kwon Family?  If that's what you want to do, then don't waste your energy for it, Mom."

"Why?" She asked.

"Coz I don't think it's necessary either.  And most of all, I don't want you to." I looked at her in the eyes and said with a straight tone.

CL glanced at me and said to Mother, "Mom, just let them be.   Don't try to intimidate your future daughter-in-law, if you don't want your son to stand against you.  A wise mother-in-law will treat her daughter-in-law like her own daughter."

Mother threw CL a quick glance and said, "Daughter-in-law?  Who know if she would run away on the wedding day?"

"MOM!" I slightly raised my voice at her and made her jump a little.

CL chuckled and wrapped her arm around Mother, "Mom, think it as you having another daughter instead of your son being stolen away from you.  Otherwise, you are bound to lose in this one, especially your son is head over heel in love with the girl."

"Kwon ChaeRin!" I threw CL a quick stare.

CL laughed, "Have you called Hilary this morning?  You were so drunk last night that you totally passed out.  SeungRi and I had to drag you into the car and I didn't get a chance to make sure she was well taken care of."

I slightly nodded, "I texted her already.  Mom, I'm hungry.  Anything to eat?"

"Aish...  Ajumma made you some soup." CL said.

I stood up and said, "Great!  I'll go eat first."

"Kwon JiYong, I still want to meet your fiance OFFICIALLY." Mother said behind me.  I waved my hand in the air to tell her 'no' as I walked towards the kitchen.

*  *  *

Hilary's POV

I heard my phone buzzed right as I walked out of the bathroom.  It must be JiYong.  I picked up the phone from the bedside table and called him directly without checking the message.

"Hey there!  Did you have a good night sleep last night?" JiYong sounded pretty alright.  I was worried that he would be upset about seeing SeungHyun and I in the restaurant corridor last night; but it seemed like I worried too much.

"Of course.  Slept like a baby.  You?" I lied.  The guilty feeling on my chest grew heavier and heavier, which made me difficult to breathe.

"Me?  Bad headache now.  Wanna do lunch together?" JiYong asked.

"Lunch?  Why don't you stay home and rest.  Sleep your headache off."

"Nahh...  Unless you are going to stay beside me." JiYong laughed at his own words.

I hesitated a second and said, "Do you want to meet at your apartment later on?  I have to go somewhere first though."

"Really?  You will pat me to sleep?" JiYong sounded so excited all of a sudden.

I rolled my eyes and teased, "Who says anything about patting you to sleep?  I just asked if yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter