The Wall Behind The Bed

The Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

WooBin's POV

"JiYong and I are together now." EunHi said calmly.

Although I somehow knew this would happen, I wouldn't deny that I was still shocked to hear her announced it herself.  Dara and I looked at each other at once.  Grandfather dropped his chopsticks on the table and Mother was so angry that her face even turned red.  EunHi glanced at JiYong and he took her hand before she said to Mother sincerely, "Mrs. Kim, I would like to formally ask for your permission to have Hilary's hand in marriage."  EunHi lowered her head as JiYong spoke.

Mother threw EunHi a sharp glare and asked in an angry tone, "Have you forgotten what I said to you a few months ago?  Are you challenging me now?"

EunHi looked up at her and said firmly, "I am not challenging you.  And I do not want to fight with anybody; but I will not back away either.  From now on, I will do whatever I want.  And I will not compromise and settle with anything less than what I deserve."  She looked straightly into Mother's eyes and showed no hesitation on what she meant.

This was not the first time I saw my sister talked back to our mother.  She used to fight back for me when we were young, before she left for Paris.  But this was the first time I saw her talked back for herself.  I was happy to see her finally fight for herself; but marrying JiYong was another story.  Although JiYong seemed to have changed a lot and cared about EunHi very much, I still had reservation for him being the right person for my sister.  Or should I say, I still had reservation on whether he was the one she really loved.

*  *  *

Hilary's POV

I looked at Mother straight in the eyes as I made it clearly to her that I would not back away anymore.  In the past, no matter how much I didn't want to, I still played along sometimes and never really fought back.  But now, I would not do that again.

I could see that she was really angry since I haven't talked to her like that before, especially in front of other people like Dara and JiYong.  I knew she didn't like JiYong and she wouldn't approve us easily; but I really didn't care.  I glanced at WooBin Oppa and Dara.  They both looked a little surprised as well but I didn't blame them.  After all, they were among many people who didn't want me to have anything to do with JiYong and warned me a million times about him.

I let out a soft sigh and continued, "We don't plan to hold any engagement party or make any announcement on the engagement..."

"Why?  Worrying that you'll run away on your engagement day again?" Mother said in a sarcastic tone.

I took a deep breath to calm myself and said, "We don't think it's necessary to tell everybody about it since this has nothing to do with the rest of the world.  We have no plan of getting married too soon, so why bother to announce the engagement.  This is my life and I'll do it my way."

"Your way?  Your way is to run away from someone you love to save your precious brother and jump into the arms of the next man you can find?  Kwon JiYong, do you have any idea you are just a subsitute?"

"MOTHER!" I could not believe what I just heard.  I knew my mother was not an easy person but I never thought she would say something like that in front of everyone.  I immediately turned to JiYong and he looked at me back with a smile.

"I'm just telling the truth, ain't I?  You know better than anyone here, JiYong.  Why are you playing along with this silly girl?" Mother gazed JiYong in the eyes and asked.

JiYong brushed my cheek gently and smiled, "Because I love this silly girl very much!"  I gasped at his words and his words sent me tears to the eyes.  I owed him so much that made me feel so guilty.

"Love?  You love her very much.  Does she love you too?  Does she ever tell you she loves you too?" Mother just wouldn't let go.  I looked up at her and just when I was about to say something, JiYong said, "I don't need her to tell me anything.  I am not in a rush.  I am willing to wait.  Patiently."

"JiYong!" I uttered.  He looked me in the eyes and smiled.

Mother threw her napkin on the table and stood up, "I will not approve this.  Kim EunHi, don't go too far that you'll regret it later.  You know very well I am a woman of my word."

I stared her back, "You can do whatever you want.  I will do whatever I can to fight back.  I'm not your puppet anymore."

"Kim EunHi!" WooBin Oppa looked me in the eyes and slightly shook his head to stop me.

"I will pretend none of this happened today.  Father, let's leave!  DaeSung, get the car ready!" Mother helped grandfather to stand up, while DaeSung Oppa quickly came to us and said, "Yes, Mrs. Kim.  The car is ready outside."

DaeSung immediately stepped up to grandfather and walked him out.  Grandfather looked up at me and said, "EunHi, think carefully before you make any decision."

I inhaled deeply and slightly nodded my head.  Mother threw me another death glare before she left with grandfather.

I sat down and let out a heavy sigh.  JiYong moved closer to me and wrapped his arm on my shoulder.

"JiYong, I want to have a word with my sister.  Would you and Dara give us a moment?" WooBin Oppa said.

Dara patted Oppa on the shoulder and smiled as she stood up to leave.  JiYong kissed me on the cheek and left with her.  I dared not look up at my brother for I was pretty sure what he was about to say.  He came to my side and sat down next to me.  He pulled me to face him and said, "Are you sure you want to marry JiYong?  Are you really in love with him?"

I looked up at him and said softly, "Oppa, I know what I'm doing.  JiYong really loves me."

"But do you love him?  I can see love in his eyes when he looked at you.  But you?  I only see the hollowness in your eyes." He brushed my cheek and said softly.  His words were like heavy punches on my chest since I could feel his love and worries for me.

I leaned forward and put my arms around him, "Oppa, I really miss you and I love you very much.  Don't you ever forget about that!"

He wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly, "How can I forget?  You gave up the man you love for me.  I forever owe you, my baby sis."

I shook my head, "No.  You owe me nothing.  No matter what I do, it's my own choice.  Don't blame yourself on my choices.  I may not love JiYong as much as I loved SeungHyun, but I do...  love him.  And he loves me very much.  You really don't have to worry."

He pulled away from me and looked me in the eyes, "I believe you love him too.  But do you love him as a friend or a man?  Do you really love him as much that you can marry him and be with him for the rest of your life?  Don't make any wrong choices based on your previous choices.  For what I see, you are not over SeungHyun yet.  I could see that in your eyes when you looked at him at your welcoming party.  Your eyes betrayed you.  So, don't lie to me."

I lowered my head and tried to avoid eye contact with him.  I would not deny that I still had feelings for SeungHyun.  But even so, it was already too late and nothing could turn back anything.  I made my choice and now I lived with the consequences, no matter what.

"He found someone already.  Even if I still have feelings for him, I'm happy as long as he is happy.  I guess we are just not meant to be, after all." I said softly.

Oppa let out a heavy sigh as he stood up, "What can I do to turn everything around?  How can I make you two back together?  I feel so guilty of breaking you two apart.  How am I to live my li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter