You Owe Me One

The Unforgettable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hilary's POV

After lunch, JiYong and I went to St Louis en l'Ile Church.  I sat down on the second row at the front and put my bag down on the side.  JiYong sat down beside me and looked around us.  He then leaned close to me and whispered in my ear, "Hill, what are we doing here?"

"Shh..."  I put my hands together and closed my eyes to pray.

"OK!  Let's pray!" JiYong slightly mumbled.

When I opened my eyes and turned around to look at JiYong, he still had his eyes closed with his hands together.  But I knew very well, he was not praying.  I slightly poked him on the arm and whispered, "Wake up!"

He snapped back and opened his eyes sharply, "I'm not sleeping."  He blinked his eyes a few times at me.  I couldn't help but laugh at him softly, "Bear with me a little, OK?  I want to sit here a little longer before we leave."

He nodded with a smile, "Of course.  We can stay as long as you want to."

*  *  *

WooBin's POV

"Stop drinking!  You already finished two bottles." Dara took away the bottle from my hand and said.

I looked at her with my slightly drunken eyes and smiled, "Just for today.  I want to get drunk."

She looked me in the eyes and asked with a puzzled look, "Why?  What happened?"

I got my bottle back and filled my glass, "Today's the 4th Anniversary of my father's death!"  I gulped down the soju and filled the glass again.

"Oh, yes!  I forgot.  So, why are we here?  You should go home.  Mrs. Kim must be waiting for you." Dara took away the glass from my hand and grabbed her bag, "Let's go!"

I pulled her down to her chair and said, "Sit down!  No one is waiting for me.  I don't have to go back and I don't want to go back."

"What do you mean?  Your mother and grandfather must be at home waiting for you."

I let out a cold laugh and said, "No one in the family cares about the rituals anymore.  Have you not aware that no one in the office mentioned anything about it today?"

I could see it in her eyes that she was worried and concerned.  I gently brushed her cheek and said, "Do you know my father and I used to come here and drink once a month?  Only the two of us.  We would drink until we were a little drunk.  Then, the driver would drive us back.  A few times, we were too drunk that my mother got so angry and even made my father sleep in the guestroom."

"You miss your father." Dara asked softly.

I inhaled deeply as I shook my head, "I dare not go to see him today since I don't know what to say to him.  It's because of me, EunHi has to stay in Paris alone.  I don't know how to face my father.  He loved her so much.  You don't know how much he missed her but still let her go and sent her to Paris since he knew that would make her happy.  I would do the same if that's what makes her happy now.  But I really don't think so.  Yet, I don't know what to do to make her stay in Seoul....."

*  *  *

Dara's POV

A tear fell down WooBin's cheek.  This was the first time I saw him shed tears.  He stayed strong and even withheld his emotions and didn't shed a tear in front of anyone at his father's funeral.

I brushed away his tear and asked, "Can you tell me what happened?  Why Hill ran away?"

He looked at me for a long while and said softly, "Will you still treat me the same if I tell you I'm not my mother's biological son?"

I was stunned by his words.  I heard about the rumors many years ago but I never thought it was actually true.  I knew WooBin and Mrs. Kim was not close; but Hill was not close to her either.  So, I never really believed the rumors.  I gazed at him and didn't know how to react.

WooBin gazed me back and asked, "Are you still with me?"

I nodded, "Of course I'm still with you.  Why wouldn't I be?"  I didn't know why but my eyes suddenly filled with tears since it broke my heart to see the sadness and pain in his eyes.  I went around the table and sat down beside him.  I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him tightly, "I'm sorry that I didn't know earlier.  Otherwise, I could have stayed by your side all these years.  I'm sorry."

He snuggled his head on my shoulder and muttered, "EunHi is the only family I have left.  But I made her leave alone.  I made her give up the man she loves.  My father will never forgive me about this.  I can't forgive myself either."

"Don't say that.  It's not your fault." I patted him on the back.

He pulled away from me and said, "EunHi and I both know what may happen to me if she gets married..."

"Hill wants to protect you, so she left instead."

WooBin looked away to avoid eye contact with me.  I could see that his eye rims were all red now.  He lowered his head and stared at his hands, "Don't get me wrong.  I'm willing to let everything go.  I'm not afraid to leave ShinHwa coz I'm prepared for it from the very beginning.   But until EunHi takes over, I just can't leave.  Everyone, including our mother and grandfather, is waiting for the chance to strike at the Group.  Unless I'm sure ShinHwa is in good hands, otherwise I can't leave."

"I know.  I understand.  I'm sure your father understands too.  I'm sure he is very proud of you two since, unlike those siblings in the other elite families, you both love each other very much.  You two just need to find a way together to get through this." I squeezed his hand tight and said.

"I miss my baby sis very much.  What can I do to make her understand that as long as ShinHwa is in good hands, it really doesn't matter if I'd be the President or not?  Even if I have to leave and SeungHyun to take over, he will be able to push ShinHwa to another level.  I'm sure."

I nodded, "I get what you mean.  But Hill doesn't think so.  She thinks you are the ONLY one who should take over since this is your father's legacy."

He let out a heavy sigh, "I can't reveal my true identity to the world since it will have impact on the Group.  I want to tell SeungHyun the truth; but it's either I missed the chance or he wanted EunHi to tell him herself.  Now it's too late since he doesn't want to know anymore."

He rested his elbows on the table and ran his fingers in his hair.  I never seen him like this before.  I needed to think of a way to help them.

*  *  *

JiYong's POV

Hilary just stared at the stained glass window quietly for almost half an hour.  I sat there beside her and dared not say anything.  This was the first time I went into a church for more than 5 minutes.  I was not sure if I was a sinful man or what, but I just didn't feel very comfortable sitting there.

"JiYong, can I borrow your shoulder for a while?" Hilary asked softly with her eyes still fixed on the window.

I slid closer to her and said, "My shoulder is all yours."

She slid her arm around mine and leaned her head on my shoulder, "Do you believe in heaven?"

"Heaven?  I don't know.  Maybe.  But even if there's heaven, it's probably not for people like me." I said.

She chuckled a little, "Do you think my father is in heaven now?"

"You are thinking about your father?"

She slightly nodded her head, "Today's the 4th anniversary of his death."  I didn't know what to say.  She clung on to me tight and snuggled her head to shoulder, "I miss him so much."

I pulled away my arm from her grip and wrapped it around her shoulder.  I gently planted a kiss on her hair and whispered, "I'm sure he misses you too.  But he's somewhere up there watching over you.  As long as you are happy, he'll be happy too."

I could feel that she quivered a little in my arms.  I squeezed her tightly and said, "Hill, if you really want your father to rest in peace in heaven, you need to learn to love yourself more.  Think about yourself more and fight for yourself.  Not to run away.  You are not only hurting yourself, you are hurting the people who love you too.  And you hurt even more when you see them hurt.  So, what's the point?  I'm sure your father won't want to see you like this either.  Let's go back, Hill.  Please!"

But Hilary was so stubborn.  She didn't respond to me but just shook her head.

"Hill, trust me!  Your brother is well capable of protecting himself.  I'll help you guys as much as I can.  We can find a way to solve this.  Tell SeungHyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter