GETTING TO KNOW HERSELF PT.1

The Diary of a Wonderful Life (pass the feeding bottles and diapers)
Please log in to read the full chapter

“The patient has Dissociative Amnesia, which is caused by stress or trauma and presents as forgetting specific events or period of time. Some forget their identity, while some forget their life history, all caused by severe head injury”

Upon hearing this, Railey and Daryl’s minds emptied. They pity their best friend, but they pity her family more because it seems like she has forgotten every memory she has of them and retained her memories before them.

“She is now living in the year twenty-eleven. Her memories after that year are all wiped out”

Out of all the problems Jiyong and Clara has faced, this is surely the toughest one of all. Not only is Jiyong now a stranger to his own wife, their children, are as well, which is going to be the hardest to grasp.

“Is this just a part of it? Is it temporary? Is she ever going to get her memory back?” Railey is truly shaken by the news that all she wants is a time machine to turn things around.

“Well…we really can’t tell. Most patients gain their memories back after some time, it may not be all of it but snippets, while some doesn’t get their memories back at all”

After a thorough check-up, Clara’s doctors already told her about her condition. All she can do is gasp in shock because she doesn’t know how to react to it. After that, she dozed off. The girls took this time to call the boys who are a plane ride away to tell them the bittersweet news.

“WHAT?” Jiyong and the rest of the members are all gathered in one room with the girls on speaker phone. Their happiness was short lived.

“Yes, Jiyong. Clara has Amnesia” Daryl is the one talking for Railey cannot even form a sentence without her emotions bursting out. “According to her doctors, she’s living in the year twenty-eleven in her mind after doing some kind of memory test where she was asked questions like…what’s her name, which she answered correctly but she gave out her maiden name”

“Of course” the devastated husband, said.

“They asked her how old she was and she answered…twenty-one, which is crazy if you ask me, but yeah! The girl will surely be shocked once we give her a mirror because you know…she might look young…” she can’t help but laugh, “Younger than she’s supposed to look like, but she doesn’t look twenty-one at all. She’s up for some shock” Daryl can really lighten up a heavy mood with her unstoppable mouth. She made the boys laugh.

“They asked her where she lives, she answered New York” Daryl chuckles, “I can only imagine the thrill on her face once we tell her that she’s in Seoul, for we all know, this place is all she ever wants to be”

With Clara living in twenty-eleven in her mind, her love for all things Korean is at its peak. She’s Big Bang and most especially, her husband’s fan girl. Things are really going to be interesting for her.

“What am I going to do? How am I going to break this news to our children? I mean, Clara doesn’t know us. Do you know how hard that is to take?” Jiyong has a lot of questions in his head that he wants to be answered badly. “Well…she knows me”. This he’s sure of. “But she knows me as G-dragon not Kwon Jiyong, her husband”

“You know…I think…the best way to deal with this is to take it one day at a time. We will not leave you, Jiyong. We’ll be here for you and the kids all the way. If you need help in breaking the news to them, just say it and we’ll think of a good speech and explanation for them” Daryl is more than willing to help the family like always. She knows so well that this is going to be a long journey for them.

There was a long silence after that. All of them are still in shock. As much as each of them wants to help or do something to make Clara’s life easier, they know there’s nothing they can’t do.

“In one way or another, I’m glad she got amnesia” Jiyong surprised everybody by this statement. No one expected this from him. “After all she’s been through, a life reset is all she needs. Yes, a lot of years are removed from her, but it’s not like we can’t feed her the memories, right?” He is obviously trying to be positive and his positivity is lifting everybody’s spirits up.

Railey is finally able to talk. “You know what guys? I think…Clara has a feeling way back that she’s going to be in this situation”

Daryl looks at her weirdly, “What the are you talking about, sis?”

Her best friend smirks, “She wrote her every day in diaries. All we have to do is make her read all of them to at least give her a gist of her life”

They clap in glee after realizing that Railey makes sense. Thing is…

“As far as I know, she doesn’t have most of them with her here” Jiyong said, cutting off their celebration, “I think some of them are in New York. The ones I know are kept in the storage facility, but I don’t think they are complete anymore”

Years ago, Clara decided to clear out things that includes her diaries, for they eat up so much space. She’s got lots of them safely sealed in boxes that she sent to her Mum in New York to keep, some she stored at their beach house in Jeju that Jiyong isn’t aware of, while some are at their rented storage facility.

“They got the book” Taeyang suddenly remembered the memoir that Clara co-authored with Isabella.

“Yeah! But that’s concise” Daryl told her husband. “She can get something out of it but it’s not totally in detail unlike her diaries that even have letters in them, photos and a lot more stuff”

In the end, they all stayed positive, for they are confident that Clara’s memories are truly not forgotten. She may have buried them deep in her mind, but with their help, she will surely get by. And if her diaries cannot feed her enough, Jiyong promised to himself that he will dedicate his life in filling in his wife’s memories because they are just too precious to forget. After all, he can remember them like the back of his hand.

They also agreed to keep Clara’s condition from everybody for tonight at least. Jiyong needs time to get himself together and energize before extreme emotions comes pouring down tomorrow once he breaks out the news to his children and family. All he wants now is to see his wife wide awake, and will only figure things out after that.

“So…how are we going to do this?” he asked.

The boys are finally back from Jeju. It’s late at night but Clara hasn’t woken up yet. Her doctor told them it’s the medicine they gave that afternoon that’s making her sleep longer, but she will surely wake up in a while.

“Seriously”

The moment they heard her hoarse voice, their nerves all shoot up. All Jiyong wants is to rush to her side and give her a hug, but he stopped himself because he decided to take things slowly, for his wife not to be too overwhelmed.

And because the only people Clara is familiar with are Railey and Daryl, they are the ones who checked on her, leaving Big Bang in the receiving area. They can hear the three girls clearly from where they are.

“Hey sis!” Daryl notices a different aura in Clara. It’s strangely youthful. Her face that is ashy these past weeks now has color.

“I feel like my head is going to break in half any moment now” Clara is going to whine and it’s starting now, “My back hurts like it never hurt before. My throat is so dry. My voice is airy and hoarse” she touches her neck and massages it.

“Drink up” Railey gave her a glass of water and she sips on the straw little by little.

“Oh that feels good!” Clara’s eyes roll in satisfaction.

After that, the two girls gave it their all to help their dear friend to sit up. Clara’s shoulders are still in a brace but she can pretty much move her arms. At first, they were afraid that she might break a bone, but she’s harder and tougher. Her body is stiff from just lying down for over a month, but after stretching every part of her carefully, she’s able to move a bit freely.

“So…” now that she’s sitting up, she can finally see her two best girls clearly.

Clara stared at them for a long time, totally in awe and amazement by how the girls has changed physically. They aged with grace and they look classy and elegant, just like what she imagined them to be when they grow older. They both look so happy, happier than what she can remember. Daryl might’ve gained so much weight, but she looks healthier. And Railey, she still got the body that can knock out any model out there.

“Do you have a mirror?” she is itching to see her face, though she’s scared that she might not recognize herself anymore.

After what seems to be forever, Daryl comes in from the other room with a mirror in hand.

“Remember…” she is about to hand it to Clara but stops mid-way “You just got into a car accident”.

Clara swallowed hard. She is not aware of what happened to her yet. She cannot believe it.

“You and your daughter were driving along the highway when she lost control of the wheels. As a matter of fact, you are a hero, because if you don’t t shield her before impact, she would’ve been the one on that bed or maybe worst”

“I HAVE A DAUGHTER!”

Meeting an accident is shocking to Clara, but learning that she has a daughter is much of a shocker, that she cannot even wrap her mind around it.

“Alright!” Railey pulls out a chair and sits close to her bed, while Daryl stands on her bed side, facing her. “Before we talk about your children…”

“CHILDREN!” Clara is up for a surprise of a lifetime. Her head is spinning this early on.

“Oh sis, this is going to be fun!” Daryl pats her shoulder, earning a confused look from Clara.

And Railey starts, “Okay…look at yourself in the mirror first” she told her and anxiously waits for Clara’s reaction.

It took a minute or two for her to completely digest her face. She looks the same just thinner than she remembers. She’s got healing bruises here and there. Her hair is greasy.

“I look…” her eyes bounce from Railey to Daryl and back to the mirror again. “I look like !” she exclaimed, making the girls laugh so hard.

“Oh gosh!” Daryl fans her face, still laughing so hard, tears start pooling her eyes.

“Sis, you’ve been Sleeping Beauty for over a month, what do you expect? You’ll look as fresh as Princess Aurora?” Railey attacks, making Daryl laugh harder, “NO!”

“I’m blonde!” Clara touches her hair in disbelief. “I’ve never been blonde! Oh my! I’m sure Mum scolded the heck out of me because of this. You know her, she hates it when I dye my hair this light”

There was a long silence. The two girls just realized that aside from introducing Clara to herself again, they also need to tell her that her parents have passed away already, which will totally break her heart.

“You know what? I like this look of mine” she speaks out, breaking the silence. “It grew on me, fast” her eyes are still fixed on the woman in the mirror, staring ba

Please log in to read the full chapter