ALL EYES ON HER (OR HIM).

The Diary of a Wonderful Life (pass the feeding bottles and diapers)
Please log in to read the full chapter

Letting Isabella go on a date is one of the hardest decisions Jiyong and I ever made. Personally, I’m still battling with myself if I’m really good with her dating or not, simply because she’s my baby and knowing how cruel the world of relationships and romantic love in general is, is enough to make me change my mind and just stick with her to me forever but she’s already a grown up and there’s no way I can bring her back to when she was a kid. My daughter needs a life and this is where it all begins.

“All right” Jiyong and I lock ourselves in our bedroom after our heart to heart talk with the girls. My husband and I are still overwhelmed with what just happened.

He sits on the bed and stares at me. “That was a good talk” he says and all I can do is sigh heavily.

“What? Don’t tell me it isn’t? Babe…I’m telling you…that moment rarely happens to families…I’m actually really proud of us because we were able to pull it off”

I feel him. We’re really one heck of parents for being so brave to talk about love, relationship and even to our children when most parents wouldn’t even think of doing it at all. Well, I grew up with Mum and Dad being so open to me. In the tender age of sixteen, I already know what is (RELAX. They didn’t demonstrate it to me rather they explained (not in detail) what it is and why couples do it), so I’m pretty much fine with our children having knowledge of tabooed adult matters early.

“Babe” I sit beside him and look deep into his eyes “Are you damn sure you can handle this dating thing?”

Dating to Jiyong is really a sensitive matter because he’s not yet ready to “share” the children with some strangers, but it seems like the wind blew the other way for he’s suddenly cool with it.

“You see Babe” he faces me fully and hold my hands “I admit…just by thinking about Isabella and Gabby with a guy is already making me nuts….but after talking to them and seeing how much they wanted to try it…I told myself “Jiyong…you’re an idiot if you’re not going to let them try it”…all because it’s part of life”

I pinch his nose “And it’s better than them keeping it all a secret”

“Yaaa” he massages his nose and smiles “You’re right…Isabella wanting us to be on her first date is really something…it actually means a lot for it’s like…she’s asking us to help her strain this guy…if he’s good or not”

Actually, when Isabella told us that she really means it when she said that we can go to her date, I feel bad because it seems like she just said it to at least have a chance of going because it really is impossible for Jiyong to let her go. Turns out, she wanted us there for she’s afraid of the stranger she’s going out with. It’s moving because she invited us to be there when others would rather have their friends with them because parents really ruin the fun.

NEVER have I brought my Mum and Dad to a date, though they followed me during my first. It was at a country club with a guy who I don’t like or even find attractive at all (I just went on a date with him to make him agree to do my science project for me which he did and the moment I got it, I didn’t talk to him anymore. Yeah. I’m one teenage ).

“We’re here!” Daryl’s voice is so loud and excited that I can hear her from the second floor, in the girls’ room where I’m forcing Miracle to take an afternoon nap.

“AUNTIE DARYL!” my little girl snaps up and gets out of bed in a flash. I wasn’t able to hold her back anymore for it happened too fast.

Frustrated because I really want her to take a power nap, I’m left with no choice but to give up for the person I’m convincing to nap is already shrieking in glee downstairs.

“What can I say?” I say while going down the stairs, looking at them “The date’s gonna be an all star cast”

The whole gang is here and when I say whole, I mean it. TOP, Youngbae, Seungri, Daesung, Railey, and Daryl. Our extended family is here and I can’t imagine what will happen later but one thing’s for sure, it’s going to be crazy. Too bad Seungri and Daesung’s wives cannot make it for they are busy with their businesses and cannot leave it.

“UNCLES! AUNTIES!” Isabella comes running to them “Waaaa…you’re all here” her eyes go wide in amazement.

Gabby sighs “I actually thought Dad’s going to bring the whole YG family to the date”

It cracks us up, BIG TIME.

“He’s actually considering that a while ago” I tell them, earning disbelief looks from the girls.

“Aigoo” TOP pulls Isabella beside him “You’re really going on a date later?” he asks.

“Uncle” Isabella hugs him like a big teddy bear with her eyes closed “It’s just a date”

“Yaaa…even if it’s just a date…it’s still a big thing” Youngbae tells her and all of us nod in agreement.

“This is really an emotional moment for me” Railey’s eyes are watery, her emotions are just too intense.

“Same here” as expected, Daryl follows but unlike Railey, she’s just trying to cry (squeezing her eyes).

The boys roll their eyes at them. “Yaaaa…you two are exaggerating…Isabella’s not yet getting married…she’s just going on a date” Youngbae says, making me laugh so loud.

I may be laughing but deep inside I feel emotional as well and it’s because I still can’t believe that my eldest is already going on a date and next thing I know it, she’s already in a relationship. Oh gosh! I’ll stop right there. Marriage is another thing (A BIG THING).

“And here comes the Father of the girlfriend to-be!” Seungri jokes Jiyong and what else can you expect from these two? As usual, Big Bang’s Maknae receives a whack of a lifetime from his Hyung.

“You’re truly one heck of a man Jiyong” TOP says while my husband settles on his seat “Out of all the Fathers I know…you’re the most possessive and protective of all…what made you change?”

“Look who’s talking” Railey mutters, earning a glare from her husband. She raises her arms in surrender “OK…I didn’t say anything…lips sealed” she pretends to zip her lips, cracking us up.

“What time do we have to be there? Did he contact you already?” Jiyong asks our daughter who is sitting comfortably in between TOP and Youngbae.

All our eyes are fixed at her, waiting for a reply.

She looks at her phone and smiles “Five o’clock…Baskin Robbins in Gangnam”

Silence filled the room. Jiyong and I looked at each other with blank expressions on our faces. So this is totally real. She really has a date.

“This guy is a college student…right?” Daryl asks, earning a nod from Isabella and Gabby.

“He’s my senior Auntie” Gabby tells her.

“If that’s the case…then he’s got money”

“SIS!” Railey exclaims.

“Look…he’s studying in one of the most expensive universities in Korea…not to mention…he’s a college student…that dude…for sure he’s got a lot of money for his parents gives him allowance…I just can’t get why he’s going to take our Isabella…to an ice cream parlor…ONLY”

I sigh. Daryl is Daryl. Her standards are way too high for normal people.

“Sis…it’s all good…after all…it’s just their first date and what do we know? Maybe he’s got some reservations at a restaurant in the evening” I tell her, earning a nod from Railey.

“Also…a date at an ice cream parlor is cute…they’re still young…they still fit that place” she tells her.

“How old is this guy anyway?” TOP asks, his deep voice sounds so much like a detective.

Isabella smiles radiantly. She looks so excited while we’re talking about her date.

“His name is Kim Ryu…he’s half Japanese-half Korean…we’re the same age but still in college because he stopped studying for two years” she answers.

“Why?” Jiyong asks curiously in his fatherly tone.

Our daughter clears and leans forward to have a clear view of her Dad. “He went to Japan to take care of his sick Father”

“What happened? Where is his Father now?” Daryl is up for some gossip.

“He had a heart problem but is now well after his bypass surgery”

From the looks of it, I can tell that Isabella knows a lot about this guy already. Good job baby girl! You’re on your way to knowing him! I just wish that what he’s telling you are all true (we know men, they tend to lie about themselves just to make their names smell sweet as a candy).

Time runs so fast for it seems like we’re

Please log in to read the full chapter