SCARY DAD.

The Diary of a Wonderful Life (pass the feeding bottles and diapers)
Please log in to read the full chapter

In my twenty-three years of being a Mother, NEVER have I imagined that I will get a child of mine at a police station or worst, see him/her in jail. Whatever is happening right now, I still cannot believe any of it. If only all these are just a dream.

“Sis…calm down” Daryl says on the way to the police station.

The girls and I are frantic and dead worried because of Danny. To be very honest, I’m thankful that they are here because if they’re not and I happen to deal with this situation alone, I will not last even a minute of it.

Railey glances at me and touches my arm “Sis…we’ve already found him…there’s no need for you to worry that much”

“We’re not sure if he really is the kid in the police station” I tell them.

According to the officer in charge at the police station, they have three teenagers, all boys in Whimoon High school uniforms. Only drag is, the officers are not sure if these boys are telling them the right information about themselves for they don’t have their things with them or even and I.D, not being able to confirm their identification.

The moment our car pulls up in front of the police station, I hop out of it right away and dash inside. This place is really traumatic for me, because this is where I was detained for a whole night, pregnant with the little kids years ago (remember when I was alleged by Anne saying that I’m harassing her?).

Walking with a man being brought in by the officers in handcuffs reminds me of that day. I swear it was one of my darkest days, because I know nothing about the crime they say I did.

“You’re shaking” Daryl notice upon holding my arm.

Railey sighs and pulls us to a corner “No Sis…YOU HAVE TO CALM DOWN” she look into my watery eyes and holds my hands “I know this is totally crazy…but…if you’re not going to calm down and just let your nerves eat you…how are you going to handle this? Also…we have to tell Jiyong that we’re here”

Jiyong. No! He must not know about this!

I shake my head “Sis” I look at the both of them “Let’s just keep and solve this ourselves”

Daryl smirks “What are you? Idiot?” her face is so close to mine that I can feel her breath brushing my face “Sweet …not telling your husband about this is like cheating on him…you’re keeping something big that will surely result to a damn huge fight…you should have learned your lesson by now by not lying to him or covering things up”

“Agree” Railey follows “Sis…this is really major…YOU” she points at me then shakes her head “Cannot handle this yourself…you need Jiyong to help you with it”

“But….he’s going to be really angry at Danny” I tell them, earning heavy sighs.

As a Mother, the least you wanted is scolding your child or him/her being pinned to death by your words or punishments. Even though Jiyong hasn’t laid a hand on our children, not even once, he has scolded them, especially the boys, to the max already. If before we have this “One mistake from a kid, everyone will be punished” rule, now, we ground them in every major mistake, which really makes the children irk for it can be too much for them sometimes.

Parenting 101: Discipline is one of the many important things you have to teach your child from the time they can think and make decisions on their own, to the time where they can independently move without you. Giving punishments is good, but you should always remember that you’re doing this for their sake not just because it’s what parents really should do.

In the end, I listened to my heart more than my mind. Choosing not to tell Jiyong about Danny’s detainment at the police station is wrong, but once again, I’m a Mother, I don’t want to see my son and his Father in a war when I can most probably solve this problem on my own (I hope so).

Heading to the officer’s desk is nerve-wracking. The girls are the ones holding me up for I’m about to go weak already. I look around and can’t see my son. Is he really here?

“Good Morning Sir…I’m Mrs. Clara Kwon…the one who called you for a missing high school boy a while ago” I introduce myself and he looks at me intently.

Another reason why I don’t want to tell Jiyong about this is because I’m sure once people see him here they will get curious as to why he’s here. The public and the media have feasted on our family for a really long time before and I don’t want history to be repeated again.

“Follow me” the officer looks and sounds so scary. He ushers us to a white walled room where three boys are, sitting with their heads bowed down on a narrow bench.

They raise their heads up one by one and my body feels so cold upon seeing Danny, sitting in between two boys who looks like total war freaks. One of them, the chubby boy, smirks upon seeing me.

“Ma’am…these boys were reported to us by an officer near Hongdae buying beer and cigarettes in a convenience store…also…we just learned that they got into a “gang” fight against another high school after classes”

What the heck! Gang? My son is part of a gang? Like seriously, how stupid is he to even think of joining them?

“Is your son one of them?” the officer asks and I suddenly can’t talk. I feel like my throat is blocked. I don’t know, but I feel really embarrassed by my son.

Totally broken, I walk out of the room, on the verge of breaking down. Now, I can ask myself “What have we done wrong for him to be like this?” “Why, out of all people, is my son going through such ?”

Daryl is the one who deals with the officer and soon enough, she and Danny, together with the officer, are walking to the investigation desk already.

“You need to be here” Daryl mouths at me and it take me some time to convince myself to stand up and walk to them.

I cannot even look at my son. He got bruises on his face with his right eye a little swollen. His uniform, that is well ironed when he left for school yesterday morning is now colored dirty white and rumpled.

“Young man” the officer clears his throat “If I were you…I will tell everything I know and admit my mistakes already”. Then he looks at me “Ma’am…your son has lied to us do you know that? Without any identification cards…he gave us a false name…address and even said that his parents are not living here in Korea and are working in New York”

About to fire up, I stare at Danny who cannot even face me. When did he start lying? WHY IS HE LYING?

Oh yeah, maybe he’s scared and , but he knows so well that lying can’t bring you far. Yes, it can save you for a short while but truth will claw its way up and next thing you know it, you’re already being buried by it six feet underground, living you in total misery.

“Sis” Railey approaches me, making all of us look at her “Jiyong’s calling” she’s giving me my phone but I shake my head and didn’t take it.

“Danny…just give Mr. Officer the information he needs and we’re out of here already” Daryl tells him while rubbing his back gently, in a motherly way for comfort.

My son looks at her then to me. We stare at each other straight in the eyes and all I can see in his is fear, while I’m sure all he can see in mine is anger.

“Name” the officer starts questioning.

“Danielle Kwon”

“Age”

“Fifteen”

“Parents”

“Kwon Jiyong and Clara Kwon”

As much as I hate saying this, I really don’t feel like claiming him as my son right now. I know a while ago, I said that no matter what happens, I’ll stick with my son, but after knowing the he’s been doing, I suddenly want to bang his head on the wall to bring him to his senses.

It took us an hour before we’re permitted to bring Danny home. His “friends” however, are going to stay the night because none of them wants to give their parents’ numbers for the police to call and tell them where in hell are they.

Our ride home is really quiet. Danny is at the far back of the van and I’m in the passenger seat beside Railey. According to her, TOP called her while we’re talking to the officer, saying that he and Dk just arrived at our house and Jiyong with Youngbae and Isabella are already there as well. My husband is also going crazy because I still went out when he strictly told me to just stay at home and wait.

Oh well Babe, Surprise! I found our son!

When we arrive at our house, Danny just don’t want to go down the van at all. Daryl who is taking care of him from the police station to here, nearly drags him out.

“Mum!”

Great! Our children are all awake this early in the morning. The sun hasn’t risen up yet.

“Hey babies” I hug each one of them.

“Oppa!” Miracle runs to Danny upon seeing him and the ones in the living room (Jiyong and company), was alarmed.

“Hey” Danny moves away when his sister was about to hug him.

“Where have you been?” she asks curiously.

“Everywhere” he answers coldly, making my blood boil in a snap.

Good thing I cannot bring myself to snap at my children no matter how rude and disrespectful they can be to each other. I’m the disciplinarian of the house, but never have I raised my voice to any of them. But today, I might do it.

“Babe” I call and Jiyong stands up from his chair, but instead of looking at me, his eyes are fixed on Danny.

Walking to him, Daryl, Railey and I look at each other as if preparing to be a referee to an upcoming fight. Even Youngbae and TOP are in red alert too.

With Danny standing lamely, his head bowed down and arms on his back, Jiyong stops in front of him “Look at me” he demands, his voice not that loud but enough to echo in the silent house.

I can feel the strong tension embracing all of us. Our seven kids are all sitting on the long couch. Isabella is sandwiched by Miracle and Darielle, DK and Karielle looks really frightened, Russelle and Gabrielle looks lost.

“Babies” I interrupt, making Jiyong and everybody to look at me “I want all of you to go in

Please log in to read the full chapter