GROWING BABY GIRL.

The Diary of a Wonderful Life (pass the feeding bottles and diapers)
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

KWONs

February 5

Families are webs. Impossible to touch one part of it without setting the rest vibrating. Impossible to understand one part without having a sense of the whole. – Diane Setterfield

Problems come and go. What happened days ago were set aside, making us realize how important communication is to a family. I’ve learned that as parents, Jiyong and I should talk to our children farther than just asking them how their days went and if they have any concerns. We also should be sensitive, to feel if there’s something bothering them.

Danny’s issues are pretty normal for a teenager. My baby boy is looking for himself. Though early, I think one of the disadvantages of being in a known family is, not knowing where you stand in this world, and also what you should be and how you should act.  I guess this is every celebrity kids’ dilemma. We’re no Hollywood family who are being followed everywhere by Papparazzis, with their private lives widely open for the whole world to see, but we are public. Just like Jiyong who is half-owned by the people. Truth is, one of our fears is our children being pressured by our social status. Yes, they know how the industry works for they’re born in it, but as they grow up, having minds of their own, I’m sure they question themselves “Who should I be?”

“Mum” Isabella walks in our room, holding a curling iron.

I’m putting on make-up in front of my vanity table. “Yes baby girl?”

“Can I bother you for a minute?” the smile on her face is so beautiful that I can’t even dare to say no. “I’m having a hard time curling my hair…DK can’t help coz she’s dealing with her stubborn hair too”

Girls. We really can’t leave the house without perfect hair, make-up and a good scent that trails in everywhere we go. I can still remember the times when Railey, Daryl and I would throw a fit at the same time just because we’re not satisfied of how we look. Also, our struggle of waking up early just to spotlessly prepare for work (you can’t blame us, we work for beauty and fashion, we should breathe and embody it).

And I start curling her hair without minding if my left eyebrow is not yet shaped well. “You need to attend our meeting later” I tell her.

We can’t talk business and work here at home. That’s Kwon Jiyong’s strict rules ever since the first months of us dating. There are exceptions, especially when we really need to discuss about concepts and themes for a magazine issue.

She looks at me through the mirror “I thought we’re not part of it”

I sigh “Teen Runway isn’t supposed to take part in it…but we have decided to include you guys since we’re going to produce a special edition issue”

“Why is there even a Valentine’s Day edition magazine anyway? And why is it a big deal? I mean…we don’t make Christmas edition magazine or a Halloween edition...isn’t it mainstream to make a Valentine’s Day issue when all the magazine brands are going to release their own version of it?” she asks curiously.

Before, when we’re still deciding on YG RUNWAY’s concept, Daryl come up with the idea of releasing limited edition issues per year, aside from the Anniversary issue. We deliberated a lot and even nearly scratched the whole idea off until we realize that it’s Valentine’s Day on that day. The three of us don’t have boyfriends or even boy toys during that time, and because we’re so frustrated and somewhat bitter just by imagining couples holding hands and having romantic dates, we come up with an idea to make a Valentine’s Day issue where we’ll tackle the sad side of not having a Valentine more than the bliss of having one, and the fun side of being single. It’s suppose to be like a “I hate Love Day” issue, that turned out to be a “Love-filled” issue, for our columnists keeps on giving us love stories and articles. From that year on, we release a Valentine’s Day special edition issue already and it’s always a hit (to young adults most especially).

“Baby girl” I’m not sure if I should be asking what I’m about to ask, but since curiosity is near to killing me already, I’ll just go with it.

“Yes Mum” she stops reading.

I smile and she smiles back. “Hmmm…I’m just curious…don’t you have any suitors yet?”

Who will even think that this day would happen? I mean, in my eyes, Isabella is still a little girl, innocent and pure without any traces of adulthood. Oh well, I guess I just have to accept that she’s not a girl anymore, but a woman already.

“Mum” she chuckles “Seriously…since when did you become curious of that?”

We talk about crushes and boys before when they were still little, and I find it so cool because they are so open to me about everything, but when they stepped into teenage-land, they didn’t include me in their talks anymore. I remember the first boy she had a crush on, as far as my memory can take me, his name is Aiden who lives next door in our old neighborhood (where our second house is).

“I know that it’s a bit odd…but…as I’ve said…I’m just curious…that’s it” I tell her and she faces me.

“What will you do if I tell you that I actually have a boyfriend…and that we’ve been together for some time now?”

OK. Wait. Let me process this. She’s just teasing me, right?

I’m speechless. I think I just dig my own grave. Why do I feel sad all of a sudden? I feel like I’m near to giving my daughter away to a guy, that she’s going to marry soon?

Isabella burst out in laughter, her face turning tomato red. “Mum!” she calls, making me flinch.

“I demand for a whole and detailed story” I walk to the door, looks outside first before closing it. This is going to be a serious talk between a Mother and her daughter.

“Calm down Mum” she looks so happy while seeing me frantic because of what she just said.

I pull out a swivel chair from Jiyong’s study desk and sit in front of her “What?” I’m growing impatient. I want to know everything about this. She better not hide anything from me.

Good thing Jiyong is at the YG office already. He has a meeting with President YG regarding the release of Lee Hi’s upcoming album and world tour. I swear, once my husband knows about our daughter having a boyfriend with us not knowing anything about it, he will send her to a place far from Korea for her not to see her boyfriend anymore (Ok. I’m just exaggerating).

“I’m just joking” she suddenly say and I look at her intently. I know when she’s lying. Her eyes give her out easily.

What to do? It seems like she’s telling the truth but a part of me just doesn’t want to believe it.

Hang me for being

Please log in to read the full chapter