THE ACT.

The Diary of a Wonderful Life (pass the feeding bottles and diapers)
Please log in to read the full chapter

“No way” my eyes go wide the moment I saw Isabella.

I guess lying to my husband will really bite back faster than expected. This isn’t the first time I’m covering up for my kids, but this is the very first time I’m doing this with a big lie that will surely start a fight between Jiyong and I.

“Mum” DK called. She handed me the menu. I got it from her, and with a blank mind, I just stared at the starters list for a very long time.

“You saw her too?” Gabby mouthed when our eyes met. Just like me, my second daughter is in shock too. She’s as tensed as I am. I nodded as I reply.

Jiyong is busy chatting with the owner of this newly opened restaurant. A good friend of his from junior high. He invited the whole family for the opening. If only I know this is the restaurant Ryu is going to bring Isabella in, I should’ve given them a heads up and made them go somewhere else.

“Babe…”

“Babe…”

“Hey…babe”

“Mum!” DK nudged me. I flinched. “Yeah?” I’m so out of element, that no matter how I try to pull myself together, I can’t, even when I’m well aware that if I go on being like this, the chances of us being busted by my husband is high.

Jiyong looked at me in confusion and worry. He’s reading me by looking straight into my eyes. Since then, he’s already good in seeing through me. I’m telling you, it’s like a superpower, that only works on me.

“Ari and I will go out for a while, babe. He’ just going to show me his new car” he said, eyes still firmly locked on mine.

Silence.

Then he’s already beside me. “Are you okay, babe?” concern is all over his face as he checks on me.

No. I’m not, but I have to be just for this night to go well.

His warm hand touched my forehead, “No fever” he said with a sweet smile. “What’s going on with you?” he will ask me this over and over again.  My eyes are shaking, I’m sure of it because I can strangely feel it. This is driving me bananas!

“I’m fine” I lied, but he isn’t convinced. “For real, I’m good” I hold his hand and managed to smile.

Still with his curious and worried eyes, Jiyong stared at me for a good fifteen seconds before nodding, “Alright. I’ll go out for a while” he caressed my cheek lovingly and kissed my lips.

NO!

What to do now? He cannot go out or else he’s going to have the biggest shock of his life. Isabella, even a little far from where we are, is so visible. Not just that, she stands out from the crowd. Her neon orange dress (that I’m sure is mine), is too vibrant not catch attention.

“OH GOSH!” I heard DK shriek, opening my senses.

She might’ve seen Isabella too.

“Gabby Unnie!” In a rush, she ran to her and next thing I know, we’re all panicking because Gabby fainted. She’s on the floor.

Jiyong and I went to her almost the same time. “Baby girl” he kneeled down beside her and gently put her head on his arm.

This night is getting crazier by the minute and all I want is for it to end.

“Did she hit her head?” Jiyong asked the kids who saw how their sister fell.

Danny shakes his head, “I don’t think so, Dad”

“Noona fell prettily, Dad. I actually thought she was just acting coz her fall seemed calculated” Russelle followed.

Ari touched my arm, “I’ll call for medics” and hurried out of the room.

In these moments, you can clearly tell that Jiyong and I are a perfect balance. I panic so easily, like in a snap, that depending on the situation, can even malfunction for a time. He, on the other hand, is very calm and can think clearly even in the worst situation. So, when we have emergencies, he’s the one who is usually on top of everything.

“Unnie” DK whispered beside me. She’s looking out the glass wall, eyes fixed on the beautiful lady beside a peacock display.

“Baby” I leaned towards her, “It’s her, but don’t mind them” I said, and she nodded.

It took at least seven minutes before the medics arrived. There are four of them. Two are carrying a stretcher, the other is holding a huge medical bag, and one started checking on Gabby and asking us questions at the same time.

Surprisingly, our daughter’s vitals are all normal. She doesn’t have elevated blood pressure, her oxygen level is very good, and her pulse is impressive.

“We think she might just be hungry that’s why she passed out” Rescuer #1 said to Jiyong and I.

“Are you sure she’s fine?” I asked, not really convinced of the results we got.

Rescuer #2 checked on her this time. After a few minutes, “Your daughter has impressive vitals, Mr. and Mrs. Kwon” she assured us with a smile.

I suddenly remembered what Russelle said a while ago, that his Noona looks like she’s just acting. If she is, this is one heck of an act, for it’s just too good.

“I want her to be checked thoroughly, if you don’t mind, can you bring us to the hospital?” of course, Jiyong will not settle with a basic check-up only.

“No problem, Sir” the rescuers, moving quickly, carried Gabby to the stretcher, putting her down carefully and strapping her safely.

If my hunch is right that Gabby is just acting for the sake of Isabella, this is going to be one heck of an experience for her because she hasn’t been on an ambulance ever! She’s always been curious as to how it feels to be driven by one and now it seems like she’ll get to know it.

“Unnie and Ryu left a few minutes ago” DK informed me, while we’re tailing the stretcher and rescuers out of the restaurant.

Now I can finally breath and loose up a bit. I feel so suffocated for a long time.

“I’ll go with her” Jiyong squeezed my hand, “Are you sure you can manage?” he asked, still worried about me. He knows how bad I react to emergencies and that he’s the only one who can calm my nerves during these times. “Gabby will be just fine” his voice soothed me. “We’ll be home before you know it” he gave me a swift kiss and climbed up the ambulance.

And off they go! The rest of the kids and I just stayed inside the car for a while to compose ourselves. This isn’t how we expected this night to be, but we just have to deal with it.

“CRAZY!”

“EPIC!”

It’s Daryl and Railey. I ended up calling them after exactly twenty minutes in the car unable to move at all. For some reason, my body just won’t cooperate with my mind when its been telling it to move. So, instead of risking mine and my kids’ lives by driving absent mindedly, I called for help.

“It is!” I am sitting on the curb, not giving a care of the white pants I’m wearing.

The girls made me step out of the car the moment they arrived to give me some air. There, I told them everything.

“First of, DO NOT EVER COVER UP WHEN YOU CANNOT KEEP UP AT ALL!” Railey is riled up.

Daryl smirked, “And sis, if you’re going to plan some , make sure that you’re not going to the same place. Plot flawlessly next time, so you don’t have to be shaken like this”

“I’m so stupid!” I am so over covering up for my kids, that I keep on telling myself that this will be the last.

“It is stupid! Most especially when you cannot handle yourself” Daryl gave me a good knock on the head, “You nearly gave your daughter out, did y

Please log in to read the full chapter