At SME rooftop

Je l'aimais

 

 

“You knock!”

 

“No, you knock!”

 

“It would be too awkward if I did it!”

 

Yuri and I stood in front of door that SNSD would usually gather. We spent approximately 5 minutes of our time stealthily arguing on who would knock on the door.

 

“You knock! They might think that I forced you into this.” Yuri whispered loudly.

 

“You did force me into this!” I slightly shouted.

 

She scratched her head frustratingly, leaving a big mess on her hair.

 

“Fine! But you owe me!” She stressed out, like she was scolding me.

 

As soon as Yuri was reaching for the door knob, the door suddenly opened. Yuri and I looked at each other with eyes wide open. I started to panic.

 

“Kwon Yuri!” Sunny screamed as soon as she saw the image of Yuri standing in front of her.

 

“Lee Soonkyu!” Yuri shouted back with a surprised and slightly fake smirk, trying to act normal (which clearly looked awkward and weird… but I found it really adorable).

 

I felt relieved when I saw Sunny rather than Taeyeon.

 

“What brings you here so late? I see you brought Jessica.” Sunny asked.

 

“Uhmmm… Taeyeon wanted to talk to Jessica… and Uhmmm I didn’t want to be left alone.” Yuri lied as she inserted her hands in the pockets of her black denim jeans.

 

Their conversation wasn’t my primary concern; somehow my eyes were trying to look for Taeyeon even though Yuri and Sunny were distracting me with their voices. I could only risk the movement of my eyes to try and look for Taeyeon.

 

Unsuspected, I saw her, sitting next to Seohyun, with both of her elbows touching the table with her phone held tight in her hands. She immediately met my eyes and stood up to come closer.

 

It broke my heart a lot more when I saw her wearing the hoodie that I bought for her 6 months ago for our monthsary. It was plain baby green and slightly big on her; she loved big hoodies. Was she teasing me or something? Cause I really felt like embracing her the moment I noticed her wearing it.

 

We stared into each other’s eyes, blank expressions, no emotions, just a dull moment of eye gazing. I didn’t know how to react. Should I look angry? Upset? Glad? I didn’t realize that I just displayed a dull poker face the whole time.

 

In the corner of my right eye, I could spy Yuri taking glances at me too. I guess she wanted to see how I’d react to the whole “Taeyeon is approaching me” thought.  One of Yuri’s talents was multitasking. She talked to Sunny naturally while looking out for me.

 

Just two feet away, Taeyeon stood there and gave me a helpless smile. I reflected her image.

 

“Sica… can we talk? I’ve been calling and you didn’t seem to answer.”

 

I chickened out. I had no response.

 

I took a glimpse of Yuri for the last time and I saw her give me a small nod and a half smile.

 

“Sure.” I coughed out; still wearing a dull face.

 

Taeyeon and I retreated to the elevator. It felt really awkward being with her… alone without anyone else around us. She pressed the elevator button that brought us to the rooftop of SME. I didn’t react.

 

There we were walking towards the edge of the building to gaze at the starless sky and busy city below us. We stood there for a few minutes with no words exchanged. Yuri told me not to say anything since Taeyeon was the one who wanted to say something in the first place.

 

“This is the very same spot where I fell in love with you.” Taeyeon spoke out of nowhere still looking at the view of Seoul.

 

I turned my head to the right to face her with a sad expression.

 

“What happened?!” I slightly shouted; my voice trembling as I tried to hold back the tears.

 

She bowed her head and breathes in deep.

 

She didn't respond.