A Serious Talk

That Thin Line

EUNHYUK POV

“What do you think you’re doing Eunhyuk?!” Heechul hyung grabbed be my collar and I know he is really angry because he just called me by my stage name.

“What did I do?” I asked innocently acting as if I am not bothered by his actions. I know the guys are disappointed with what I did a while ago. I can see it in their faces.

“Don’t act as if you don’t know!” He stated firmly.

“Hyung, stop it. You are attracting the other guests’ attention.” Donghae tried to calm Heechul but I can feel that he is calming himself too. Siwon removed Heechul hyung’s grip on my collar and I straightened it before looking at them. They still have that look on their faces.

“Now, what? Come on guys, aren’t you used to me being like this? I am a Casanova by heart, you know that. I always act like that towards any other girls and she is no exception.”

“She’s not any other girls, Eunhyuk. Learn to respect her, or at least learn to respect Leeteuk.” He said before walking away.

“Watch your words Lee Hyukjae.” Donghae reprimanded me. “You are going overboard this time.”

I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder.

“Follow me.”

Then someone passed by me and I figured that it was Leeteuk hyung. I suddenly felt worried and I regretted what I have done. I never wanted to disappoint hyung, but this time, I think I did it. I followed him and he stopped walking when we reached the rooftop.

“Hyung…”

He faced me and threw a punch on my face. I could taste the blood from my lips. 

“Don’t you act like that towards my sister while you are in front of me, Lee Hyukjae!” He said while catching his breath and clenching his fist, I think he is stopping himself from hurting me again.

“I’m sorry.” I can’t think of anything to say at the moment. I knew I did something wrong and I just realized it after doing it. I can’t defend my actions either, I can’t tell them that the reason why I did that is because my pride got the best out of me. I just bowed my head.

“I understand that you are still hurting because of what she did but at least treat her with respect.” He reprimanded me. I can still sense anger and disappointment in his voice.

 “I was out of line. I’m sorry.”

I heard him sigh. “You are acting as if you haven’t moved on at all. Even for a bit.” I looked at him with confusion evident in my eyes.

“Now tell me Hyukjae and I want the truth, only the truth. Do you still love my sister?” He asked.

I laughed bitterly. “Is that a joke? I already moved on. Can’t you see that I am doing fine, having all those girls around me?”

“If you are really over her, why did you act like that in front of her?”

“I always act like that towards girls.” I said the same reason that I used with Heechul hyung. Well, omitting the ‘any other’ part. I don’t want to upset hyung any further.

“You act like that towards girls but never with the members’ sister or family members.” He pointed out.

Why does hyung have to know everything? I can’t argue with what he said because it is the truth. I respect and treated other members’ sister as if they are my own, but with Hannah, I just lost it a while ago. I must say, I just wanted to get even. Just to save my damn pride.  I didn’t see these things coming. I didn’t know that everybody will be affected. I admit, it was being insensitive of me.

“Forget what I said.” Those are the only words that I managed to say.

He looked at me as if he didn’t hear me say a word. “No lies Hyukjae and you still didn’t answer my first question.”

“I don’t.”

“You don’t what?”

“I don’t… love her.” The last words came out almost in a whisper. Since when did saying those words become difficult?

“Having second thoughts?”

I sighed in frustration. “What’s the use of asking me these questions, hyung? I am happy with other girls now. I am done with her. She is the one who left me in the first place.”

“There this thing that we call defense mechanism, Hyukjae and I am clearly seeing one right now.”

“What do you mean?” I asked but he just shook his head.

“I’ll ask you again, do you still love my sister? You do, right?”

I looked at him straight in the eyes. ‘I do love your sister, but I won’t let myself get hurt again. I won’t let her hurt me again.’  I wanted to tell him those things but I didn’t instead I said,

“What’s the use of making me say I love her, it is not like there is a chance for us to be back together.”

After hearing those words, I noticed he suppressed a smile and looks like he just discovered something.

“Let us just forget everything. You can’t move on because you are still holding a grudge against her. Starting today, I won’t mind it if you’ll become all mean to her, irritate her, or piss her off as long as it doesn’t have anything to do with the break up. Just stop talking about what happened 5 years ago… Believe me, it would help not only you but everyone else.”

 He smiled at me, one of those knowing smile of him. Seriously, what is this guy trying to do?

“Let’s go back.” He said and went out first but suddenly remembered something and faced me again.

“Wipe that stuff off your lips.” He offered his white handkerchief. Too white and clean I must say, you would have second thoughts of using it.

 “Use it.” He placed it in my hands.

“And Hyukjae, I will really appreciate it if you would talk to my sister.” He said before going out.

While making our way back to the party, I started pondering about everything that he had said.

I think there is nothing wrong with trying.’