Meeting(s)

That Thin Line

HANNAH POV

 

Nickhun, Victoria and I are spending the afternoon at Jinyoung’s café talking about their wedding and the musical that our professor is planning in Boston. We decided to talk about it now since there is nothing to do at home because the kids are not there. They are ‘kidnapped’ by Sora Eonni early that morning and only God knows where are they going. Before taking the boys, she specifically told me to pick up the boys at their house at dinner time.  I am not really sure how am I going to face Hyukjae’s parents later. Of course, they already know about the twins, Hyukjae told them, but I can’t help but feel nervous with the thought that I am going to see them  and how will they react when they  see me? It will be better if he is there with me to assure me that everything is fine.

Unfortunately, the guys are really busy lately and I haven’t seen Hyukjae for three consecutive days now. I am very positive that he is visiting us during ungodly hours and we are already sleeping. I don’t know how long he is staying at home though because when I woke up in the morning, he is already gone, leaving a well prepared breakfast table for me and the twins. I could have assumed that he cooked the breakfast for us if I haven’t seen the take-out bags from a restaurant on the trash bin. Regardless of that, I really appreciate all his efforts of taking care of us considering his tight schedule. With the thought of him, I can’t help but smile.

“Somebody is losing her sanity…” Nichkhun mumbled which brought me back to reality. He is shuffling through the papers infront of him while shaking his head with a grin. He may not be looking at me but I am sure he is talking about me.

“What are you saying?” I replied pretending that I am busy reading the plot and details of the musical.

“We are busy brain storming here but you are suddenly smiling to yourself, you didn’t even realize that I am asking you about your thoughts about the story line.” Nickhun said briefly glancing at my direction.

“Stop being too stiff and workaholic Nichkhun, you need to loosen up a bit, our friend here is inlove so spare her with that bossy tone of yours.” Victoria reprimanded Nichkhun while flipping through the pages of a wedding magazine.

“Hey, Hannah, what do you think of this?” She asked me pointing at a wedding gown on the magazine. The tube gown has a tail of average length but the front part of the gown just reached the middle of the thighs, it reminds me of the gown Song Hye Kyo wore on the drama ‘Fullhouse’.

“I am not letting you wearing that!” Nichkhun exclaimed.

“But it is cute!” Victoria defended.

“It is too revealing!”

I decided to cut in even before they start a heated argument because of a gown.

“Vi, I agree with you, it is cute.” I started which earned a groan from Nichkhun and a grin from Victoria. “But, I think it will be better for you to wear a long gown during the ceremony, I still believe that it is more appropriate.” I explained in which Nickhun nodded.

“But I like this.” Victoria pouted.

“You can wear that during the reception if you want, it will be easier to mingle with people wearing that.” I suggested.

“Hannah!” Nickhun whined.

“Yah! You should know how to compromise! Aish~ Why do I feel like I am starting to sound like your eomma?!” I exclaimed.

“Don’t worry, sometimes, the feeling is just mutual.” Victoria replied silently reminding me of the days when she is the one who is acting like this.

“I know.” I rolled my eyes at her.

“Fine. You can wear something like that during the after party.” Nichkhun finally gave in and started to shuffle on the papers again. “Hannah, do you think that the songs suggested by professor Bynes will fit in the story line?”

“I think it will, but I have better suggestions for some of them.” I said and started explaining my thoughts to Nichkhun earning a nod from him.

“Hannah, what color do you think will look best for the wedding?” Victoria suddenly butted in.

“Stick with pastel colors.” I replied briefly and continued explaining stuffs to Nichkhun.

“We will have a web conference with Professor Bynes later, you should suggest him that.” Nichkhun said.

“Errr… I will be going to Hyukjae’s parents’ house later to pick up the kids and I might stay longer. I am not sure. Can you just explain everything to him?” I asked Nichkhun.

He thought for a while and nodded. “I think I can.”

“Hotel, Church or garden?” Victoria asked.

“Hon, we will talk about that later. Stop confusing Hannah.” Nichkhun kissed Victoria’s hand.I gave him a thankful smile because seriously the two of them are starting to give me a headache with Nickhun asking about the musical and Victoria about the wedding.

“Sorry about that. I am just excited.” Victoria apologized.

“I perfectly understand.” I assured her. Vi actually wanted to help with the musical but Nichkhun and I told her to concentrate on the wedding details since that one is already stressful. We are just going to give our feedbacks about the musical anyway and supervise with Professor Bynes since he has his own staff to work on the whole musical. The three of us are one of his most trusted students back in Berklee and we are the ones who excelled in planning musicals so he asked for our help. Eventhough there is a need for us to go there, we can’t say no because Professor Bynes has been really a great help during our stay at the college.

“By the way, have you already talked to Hyukjae about this?” Nichkhun asked. Victoria closed the magazine and waited for my answer too.

“Not yet. I haven’t seen him for a while and I can’t talk to him over the phone about this.” I told them.

“Our flight is already scheduled next week and we won’t comeback until after the wedding.” Victoria informed me.

“That will be 2 months Hannah, are you sure you are coming with us, I mean we can supervise the musical without you.” Nichkhun said.

“It will be difficult for you to divide your attention from the wedding and the musical. I am coming with you guys. I will talk to Hyukjae about this.” I assured them.

“I doubt it if he will agree.” Nichkhun shook his head.

“It is not like we are not coming back and he can always call to check on us.” I said.

“And besides, he is welcome to visit.” Victoria agreed.

“Now that is something new. I thought you hated Hyukjae?” I asked her.

“We are on a truce. That guy asked for it since he is worried about you being upset and all.” Victoria informed me.

“He did that?” I inquired.

“Yeah. I think I am starting to be okay with him.” Victoria shrugged.

Just then, someone flopped on the seat beside me and snatched a magazine from the table.

“Aren’t you busy?” I asked Jinyoung and roamed my eyes around the café. We are on the secluded part and there are a few number of tables occupied away from us.

“An uninvited one is coming, so I need to close for some time to control the number of people inside.” He informed flipping through the pages and put it down when he realized that it is a wedding magazine.

“Who?” I asked suddenly feeling excited with the thought that it might be Hyukjae.

“Donghae.” He said briefly and I tried to hide my disappointment.

“Oh.” I said and nodded.

“Just because it is not Hyukjae, you are not interested. Donghae is your friend it is not that disappointing.” Jinyoung teased.

“I am not disappointed.” I snapped.

“Yeah, and you also hate Strawberry Shortcake.” He said sarcastically making sure to make a point that I am lying.

“Uhm, excuse me.” Our conversation is cut short when a girl of our age took our attention. She is somewhat familiar, that is all I can say, I just can’t remember where I saw her.

“Kang Younghee?” Jinyoung asked, surprised. Now, I remember, she is our class president during high school and one of the only few girls that seems to get along with me just fine since some of the girls envied me.

“Oh, right! Younghee ssi!” I said smiling at her.

“Annyeong Haseyo.” She greeted and she seems to be a bit uneasy. I nudged Jinyoung’s side and motioned him to do something.

“Please have a sit.” He said pulling a chair for her. She sat after thanking Jinyoung and I introduced her to Nichkhun and Victoria as a sign of courtesy.

“So what brings you here? It was good to see you again!” I told her after Jinyoung left to get her a drink.

“Really? I thought you wouldn’t recognize me after all those years.” She smiled meekily.

“I had a hard time recognizing you but thanks to Jinyoung I remembered.” I confessed and added, “Still pretty as ever.” I .

“Oh, thanks. Same with you, you are actually blooming.” She complimented back earning a giggle from Nichkhun and Victoria.

“Of course she is!” Victoria teased.

“Oh! You are getting married?!” She asked after seeing the magazines on the table. “With Jinyoung?” She added. Before I can even say anything, Jinyoung came back placing a tall glass of smoothie on the table as he sat beside me.

“Here is your drink.”

“Who would ever thought that it will be the two of you in the end? I actually thought that it will be Donghae but seeing how popular he is now, I am pretty sure that he has no time to even go out for a date.” She said.

“What is she saying?” Jinyoung whispered just enough for me to here.

“She thought we are getting married.” I whispered back. Jinyoung eyes widened.

“Aniyo! We are not getting married. It is Nickhun and Victoria who is getting married.” He explained to Younghee with all those hand gestures. He seriously needs to stay away fromSiwon.

“Oh! Sorry about that.” She said and congratulated the couple.

“After all those years you are still aren’t together?” She asked us.

“She is not my type.” Jinyoung shrugged as he sliced on my strawberry shortcake and put staright to his mouth. I hit him on the shoulders and he choked on his food.

“Are you trying to kill me?!” He snapped.

“That is actually a nice idea. Who are you to say that I am not your type? I am pretty!” I scoffed.

“You seriously need to stay away from Heechul hyung.” He said while drinking my iced tea.

“I am not going to pay for that.” I told him.

“Since when did you pay for it?” He snapped back.

“Hey you two. You have a visitor here.” Nichkhun reminded us.

“Are they always like this?” Younghee asked.

“That is still a mild one. Wait till you see how they bicker specially if Donghae is here.” Victoria shook her head.

Jinyoung cleared his throat. “Anyway, about your question a while ago. It is like committing , so there is not even a chance.”

“Now that is a better explanation.” Hannah mumbled.

“You guys are really funny, anyway I am here to give you this.” She said as she handed an envelope to Jinyoung and me.

“This is not a wedding invitation, is it?” Jinyoung asked.

“No, of course not. That is an invitation for our high school reunion on Sunday night, I hope you can come or even drop by if you are not busy.” She said.

Jinyoung and I looked at each other. I guess we are thinking the same thing. We are never close with our classmates back then since they envied our closeness.

“Please?” Younghee pleaded.

“We will try.” Jinyoung finally said.

“I think that would be fine.” Younghee smiled at stood up. “I am going now, I still need to deliver more invitations.” She rummaged on her bag and gave us another one. “Please give this to Donghae ssi, I really don’t know how to give him that knowing his status now.”

“Sure. Thanks for informing us, Younghee ssi.” I told her.

“No problem, it is my job as your president.” She said and headed out.

“She is still the same.” I said.

“Yeah. Still responsible as ever. So you are going?” Jinyoung asked checking the invitation.

“I don’t want to and you know why, but I will think about it.” I said and he nodded.

 

 

“Good afternoon my dear friends!!!!~~” I heard someone as I feel a hand ruffling my hair like mad.

“YAH!” Jinyoung and I yelled in frustration. I slapped Donghae’s hand away from my hair and started to fix my hair back when someone helped me with it.

“Hi babe~ miss you.” Hyukjae said as he hug me from the back and gave me a peck on the cheek.

“What are you doing here? Jinyoung said only Donghae is coming.” I told him as he pulled a chair and sat beside me forcing Jinyoung to move his seat.

“We have no plans of dropping by since we have meeting at the company this afternoon but as soon as you told him that you are here, he decided to drop by since this is just a few blocks away from the agency.” Donghae explained.

“I wanted to surpise you.” Hyukjae said and tucked my hair behind my ears. “Babe~” He said and hugged me tightly. I was shocked with his sudden action and I saw Donghae and Jinyoung acting disgusted and all.

“Excuse me guys, you are bad for my appetite.” Donghae said munching a cookie on his hand.

“Where did you get that? Pay for it.” Jinyoung told him.

After pointing at the cookie jar which is near him on the counter, he took a few bills and paid for it.

“Keep the change.” He said.

“Someone gave you this.” Jinyoung said and gave the invitation to Donghae.

Hyukjae on the other hand, snuggled beside me, nuzzling his head closer to my neck.

“Babe, I am sleepy.” He mumbled.

“Take a nap first.” I told him as I caress his hair.

“I just want to stay like this.” Hyukjae said. I was actually tempted to tell him about my decision of going to Boston for the musical but I decided to talk to him about it alone.

“Hannah, you are not going?” Donghae asked me pertaining to the reunion.

“Not sure. I don’t want to but I am thinking of Younghee.” I said as I felt Hyukae hugged me closer, if it is even possible.

“Yah! Lee Hyukjae, get a hold of yourself, your are making me cringe!” Donghae teased.

“Shut up. You are just envious.”Hyukjae mumbled not even looking at Donghae.

“Just inform Jinyoung if you are going so he can join you. You can’t go there alone.” Donghae told me instead of replying to Hyukjae.

“So you are really not coming?” I asked back.

“I guess so.” He said briefly.

“Babe, don’t go. Donghae told me that a lot of guys like you during High School. What if those guys are there?”Hyukjae raised his head to look at me.

“Then, I will tell them that I am already dating.”

“No. Tell them that you are already married to Lee Hyukjae so that they won’t bug you.” He replied childishly.

“You haven’t even proposed yet.” Victoria pointed out. Hyukjae didn’t reply.

“He is taking one step at a time.” Donghae stood up for Hyukjae.

This conversation is really making me uncomfortable. They are talking about us as if Hyukjae and I aren’t there.

“Don’t mind them.” Hyukjae whispered as if reading my thoughts while still hugging me.

“Yah, Hyukjae. We need to go now. Manager hyung is already calling me.” Donghae said tugging Hyukjae’s shirt.

“I will follow later.” He replied.

“I don’t believe you. You will end up staying here with Hannah if I leave you. Come on!”

“Babe, you need to go now.” I told him.

“I don’t want to.” He mumbled.

“Hyukjae…” I warned him.

“Okay. Okay, I am going.” He said helplessly before giving me a short but firm kiss on the lips.

“I’ll go home later.” He informed and I nodded with a smile.

“Take care.” I waved as Donghae drag him outside but Hyukjae managed to free himself from Donghae’s grip and ran back to us.

“Last one.” He said and kissed me again, this time a little longer. And with a grin plastered on his face he went outside with Donghae, the other guy playfully punching him on the shoulders. I can’t help but smile.

“There goes that smile again.” Nichkhun teased me. I just rolled my eyes at him and started flipping the pages of the magazine but my thoughts are still occupied by Lee Hyukjae.

 

 

 

 

-------------------

That moment when I found out that I already have more than 100 subscribers and I started panicking.hahaha. I don't know why!!

Thanks for the support and comments guys! Happy to know that you are loving the story :)

Enjoy reading!