My girl pal during high school

That Thin Line

HANNAH POV

I entered the ballroom hall with so much elegance after handing my invitation to the receptionist outside. The room is full of faces that remind me of my high school days. Sure, everything is not perfect back then but it is not that bad either. Lets just say my high school memories is made up mostly of me, Donghae, Jinyoung and some girl friends who I managed to be close with. Oh yeah, and maybe those suitors every now and then, not because I like having them around but merely because they remind me of the moments when Donghae and Jinyoung shoos them away. In the end, yeah… I only have few close friends during high school, five being the maximum.

After having an exchange of greetings with some of the girls, I searched the place hoping to see Younghee or Jinyoung around. It really feels uncomfortable standing here alone smiling to old classmates as they greeted me. Jinyoung texted me that he is already here about 20 minutes ago, I wonder where is he now.

“Oh look who’s here! Hi there, gorgeous.” I spun around and acknowledge the boys’ presence by giving them a curt smile.

“It has been a long time. Nice to see you again, Hannah ssi.” The other guy said extending his arms for a handshake.

“Yeah. Nice to see you again too.” I said accepting the handshake while trying to remember his name. I am not really good with remembering names. One thing is for sure, both of them tried to court me during high school. Actually, they are quite a looker back then but I already have Hyukjae. And now, they grew up as fine men but then again too bad for them, I have Hyukjae.

“Wanna join our group?” He asked as he pointed to a table a few feet away. The other boys from the table waved their hands and smiled at me.

“No, thanks but I am actually waiting for someone.” I politely declined since they are not being rude.

“Who? Donghae or Jinyoung?” One of them asked.

“Come on, Hannah. This is the only time that those guys aren’t around you, just let us spend this time with you, you already spent years with them during high school, spending a few minutes talking to us isn’t that bad.” The other argued.

“Stop bothering this beautiful lady, guys.” A guy with an Armani suit walked towards us and took my hands and kissed the pack of my palms. “How have you been, Hannah?” He smiled. A smile that melted all the girls’ heart during High School but never really worked with mine. Top campus playboy and If I am not mistaken, his name is Jonghoon. I snatched my hand from his, trying my best not to be rude.

“Fine.” I shrugged.

“I see, you are still the same. It is a breath of fresh air that Jinyoung and Donghae are not with you tonight.” He commented. Jinyoung, where are you seriously???!!! I am not really comfortable around guys who I am not close with. I kept my mouth shut.

“Hannah. Hannah. Where have you been all my life?” He asked as he inched closer.

“Somewhere where I intended to stay forever. IN YOUR DREAMS.” I snapped. “If you’d excuse me.” I said when I finally saw Jinyoung talking with Younhee near the buffet table.

“Not so fast. Let’s talk more. So, are you married? Engaged? I hope you are still single though.” He said as he held me by my arms.

“I am already dating so can you please take your hands off me.” I said coldly.

“Oh fierce! I like that.”

“Yah! Will you just get a life, for once?!” I exclaimed already frustrated. The guy chuckled.

“Honestly, I really like you ever since.” He looked up at the ceiling. “Too bad Donghae and Jinyoung were very protective of you and you having a bad impression of me being a playboy didn’t help at all.” He added with a boyish grin. I was shocked with the confession especially because of the seriousness in his eyes behind the boyish grin.

“Or maybe, you just didn’t exert enough effort.” I tapped his shoulders. “There are still a lot of girls out there.”

“Yeah. Sure. And don’t bother yourself about me, I already moved on. Besides, it was just a silly crush. I was just trying to tease you earlier, sorry if I offended you.” He said and offered his hand.

“I already have a bunch of people teasing me, it would really help me if you won’t include yourself.” I chuckled and shook his hand.

“HEADS UP, BUDDY!” He said to the guy who walked passed us trying to check me out. I guess not all playboys are bad. Hyukjae for example, he used to be one himself, oh and there’s Yunho and Yoochun oppa too. It is ironic how I hated playboys but was actually surrounded by them.

“HANDS OFF, BUDDY!” A girl’s voice piped in from my side, snatching my hand away from him.

The guy raised both of his hands and smiled. “I am going now. I think you will be fine now especially with that war freak beside you.” He grinned. “Nice seeing you here! And you too, Yoomi!” He waved as he went back to his table. Yoomi rolled his eyes and faced me.

“What just happened? Are you okay? Did that guy hurt you? Molested you? Tell me, I am going to kill him!” She blabbered, while pulling me to sit on a chair.

“I am fine! He actually shooed the other guys away, I am somewhat thankful to him.” I explained.

“Are you sure?” She asked and I nodded with a smile.

“It has been a long time, Yoomi ah!” I beamed at her. She is one of my closest girl friend back in high school. But I spend less time with her since she is always busy with the Taekwondo team but whenever we have time, we will spend the most out of it having a girl bonding.

“Yeah! Can you just imagine that! Almost four long years!” She nodded and I remembered spending my vacation here in Korea with her until that faithful night… Bless you, Lee Hyukjae.

“So, how are things going for you?” I asked.

“I am running a pre-school now.” She informed me enthusiastically.

“Pre-school? Are you serious??!!” I asked stopping myself from laughing. Seriously, I can’t even imagine a girl like her, impatient, easily pissed and a war freak one, spending her time running a pre-school and taking care of kids.

“Yah! I am being serious here! Have been running it for a year now. I was actually a graduate of Psychology but I grew tired of talking with adults about their problems and immature selfs. Sometimes talking with kids makes much more sense. So I took up my masteral in Child Development and I am enjoying the job so far.”

“I can see that. I guess change is the only permanent thing in this world.”

“Hannah, promise me that you will enroll your children in my school as soon as you have one. I need to grow the business you know.” He added cheekily.

“Yeah. Sure. What are friends for!” I rolled my eyes. Enrolling the kids next school year on her institution is a great idea. Of course, that is if everything is already settled by then.

“By the way, where are your knights in shining armor? I haven’t seen those two yet.” She asked pertaining to Jinyoung and Donghae.

“I guess they left their damsel in distress.” I joked and we ended up laughing. “So how’s your love life?” I suddenly asked her and she glared at me.

“Still non-existent.” She pouted.

“Haven’t you given Jaejoong that idecent proposal that you’ve been planning to give him? It has been almost six years since you planned that.” I teased.

“Yah! I am trying to have a grip on the reality, okay? Stop mentioning him. I am through fan girling over DBSK.” She said with a pout. That is one thing that we actually enjoyed discussing when we have free time, DBSK.

“Too bad, I am not yet through being a fan. But I think that will be fine, I guess I have Jaejoong all by myself now.” I chirped. I was just making fun of her, why would I need Jaejoong oppa if I already have my Hyukjae.

“Don’t you dare!” She warned.

“I thought you are over him?” I grinned.

“Just stick with your Yunho and leave my Joongie alone!” She glared at me earning a chuckle.

“You are not so done with him!” I laughed. “Want me to pull some strings?” I asked and her eyes widened.

“NO! NO! NO!” She shook her head. “Okay, I know. You have a pass with the entertainment world now, but NO! I don’t want to see him face to face.”

“Why?”

“I might faint and that would be really embarrassing!” She exclaimed.

“Fine. Just inform me when you changed your mind. I am willing to help.” I winked at her.

“Geez, having a brother and a friend in the entertainment world really has its benefits.” She rolled her  eyes. “Yah, where is that friend of yours anyway?”

“He told me that he is not attending. It would be difficult for him.” I informed her.

“Awww. Popularity really .” She commented.

“Why are you asking for him anyway?”

“I just have to hit him hard. He didn’t tell me that he is already training in SME and that he is friends with your Yunho and my Jaejoong back then!”

“What’s the point of bringing up the past? I told you I can just make arrangements for you and Jaejoong if you want.”

“No thanks, I can live without him.”

“Suit yourself.” I giggled.

“By the way, is everything fine with you and Hyukjae? I mean, he is working with your brother now right? Isn’t it a little awkward?” She asked concerned.

“Everything is fine-“ I was interrupted when Younghee went on the platform and announced something.

“I hope you are enjoying the evening mingling with old pals. For now, it is time for a small performance. Well not really small considering how the performers are big stars themselves. Let us give a round of applause for our batch’s pride, Super Junior Donghae with his friend Super Junior Eunhyuk!” She said earning cheers from the crowd.

“What the-----“ I mumbled, eyes fixed on the boys waving to the crowd while making their way to the center.

“Oh! Speaking of the devil!” Yoomi nudged me by the elbow.

Hyukjae scanned the room, smiling to everyone and when his gaze drifted on me, I glared at him. He looked away innocently as if he doesn’t know what is going on.

“Everyone, please feel free to dance if you want.” Donghae said as the music went on and they started singing ‘One Love’.

 Some of the people went to the dance floor while the others managed to just listen and appreciate the song. Some of our former classmates offered me and Yoomi to dance with them when the song started but we politely declined saying a lame excuse that our feet were hurting.

 

“Do you want love, nae-ga eo-ddeoh-ge hae-ya-dwae.. And I want love, a-jik sa-rang-ha-neun-de…

Memories are beautiful never let you go???” Yoomi repeated the lyrics while giving me the ‘look’.

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------

Translation of the part of the song....

Do you want love, what do I have to do
And I want love, I’m still in love with you
The memories are beautiful never let you go

 

No.Jonghoon is not  bad guy here. He  is too angelic to be one. hahaha