FLASHBACK I

That Thin Line

 

                Hannah woke up with the feeling that she needs to throw up early that morning. She ran to her bathroom and made it to the toilet bowl but nothing came out but liquid. After fixing herself she went to open the door because someone is knocking.       

                “Good morning! Breakfast is ready.” Nichkhun told her.  She greeted him back and followed him to the dining. He is in charge of cooking for today.

                “Where is Victoria?”

                “Her class starts at 8:00 so she went to the school first.” He informed her other friend. They are all studying at Berklee College of Music and are classmates in some of the subjects. They get along well since the three of them are Asians. Victoria is Chinese, Nichkhun is Thai and Hannah is Korean. Victoria and Hannah used to be roommates in the dorm and Nichkhun is living alone in their house in Boston. When Nichkhun’s parents came for a visit, they suggested that they should live together at the house because it will be convenient for everyone and they can take care of each other since it is difficult to live away from home. They agreed and the three of them are living together for 2 years now.

                “Your class starts at 10:00 right? Let’s go to school together, mine starts at 10:30.” He continued while descending on the stairs.

                “I am not attending classes today, I am not feeling well.” Hannah replied weakly. Nichkhun looked at her and checked her temperature by placing the back of his palm on her forehead.

                “Your temperature is a little higher than mine but I think is not fever at all.” He said.

                “I don’t know what’s wrong with me.” Hannah replied and sat on chair at the dining table.

                “Maybe you are just hungry. You should eat a lot, you are losing weight!” He said and served Hannah with fried rice. Upon smelling the fried rice, Hannah ran to the bathroom near the dining room leaving Nichkhun confused.

                “Does it smell bad?” He mumbled to himself. “Hey! The fried rice is not bad! I tasted it first!” He shouted. After 5 minutes, Hannah is not yet back so he followed her and he knocked on the door.

                “Hannah~ it is edible.” He said.

                “Yeah. It is not that. I –“ Hannah failed to finish her sentence and Nichkhun heard weird sounds from inside the bathroom.

                “Hey, are you throwing up? Don’t exaggerate!” He said but the girl failed to reply and Nichkhun is positive that she is still throwing up.

“Hannah, I’ll open the door, okay?” He said worrying that his friend might be really sick. He saw her seating weakly on the tiled floor with sweat forming on her forehead. He took a towel from the rack and wiped the sweat away.

“I think I know what is wrong.” He said and Hannah faced him with confused expression.

“Tell me, did you sneak out last night and went clubbing? I told you and Victoria not to go to places like that without me! It is too dangerous! See? You are having a hang over! ” He scolded like an older brother. Hannah hit him on the shoulders.

“I also told you that I promise myself not to drink alcohol again. And you know that I hate clubs. This is not a hang over!” She replied. 

“Then what is wrong with you?!”

Hannah only shrugged because she felt that she’s going to throw up again. She pushed Nichkhun away and started to vomit again.

“I’ll take you to the hospital.” He said but Hannah just waved her hand as if saying that he shouldn’t mind. Nichkhun dialed Victoria’s number. He decided to call her because Hannah won’t listen to him.

After 15 minutes, Victoria came panting. She was on her way to school when Nichkhun called and she immediately went back when he told her that Hannah is sick and won’t agree on going to the hospital.

“How is she?” She asked Nichkhun who is leaning on the wall in the hallway, in front of Hannah’s bedroom.

“Weak. She has been vomiting for 10 minutes at the bathroom downstairs before I carried her on her room.”

“Did she eat anything?”

“She hasn’t eaten anything yet. She started vomiting after I serve the food to her. But I told you it is edible! I am a good cook. Hey, honestly, did you guys go out to drink last night?” He asked.

“We didn’t sneak out and Hannah told us that she will never drink alcohol again.” Victoria replied. They went in to check on Hannah and they found her rummaging the small fridge on her bedroom.

“What are you looking for?” Victoria asked.

“Tangerines. I am hungry.”

“I cooked breakfast. You didn’t eat your food downstairs.”

“I don’t want to eat that. I want tangerines.”

“You only have apples, strawberries and a bunch of chocolates in your fridge. “ Victoria reminded. She is starting to have a bad/good feeling about this.

Hannah pouted. “But I want tangerines.”

Victoria faced Nichkhun and told him to leave the room first.

“Why are you asking me to leave? I am concerned about her too.” Nichkhun said.

“It is a girls’ talk.” She explained briefly while looking at Hannah with a soft expression.

“What? Girls’ talk about tangerines? I didn’t know you need to have a girl to girl talk just because of tangerines.” He muttered. Victoria glared at him so he decided to obey her.

“Is there something that I need to know?” Victoria asked Hannah as soon as Nichkhun closed the door.

“About what? I don’t think so.”Hannah replied confused.

“Hannah, I am your friend. You can trust me about this.” Victoria encouraged her.

“What are we exactly talking about here?”

“It is either you don’t want to tell me or you really don’t know.” Victoria sighed and went to the bathroom. She started searching for something on the first aid kit on Hannah’s bathroom.

“What are you searching for? You can’t find tangerines there.” Hannah joked but Victoria didn’t laugh and went out of her room to check the first aid kit at the storage room. When she came back, she tossed something on Hannah’s bed.

“Do it now.” She commanded. Hannah’s face paled when she realized what her friend is asking her to do. It did make sense. She looked at Victoria worriedly.

“I am afraid.” She shook her head.

“Everything would be fine.” Victoria assured her. She hugged Hannah and pushed her lightly to the bathroom. After several minutes Hannah went out and showed the result to Victoria. She sat on her bed and combed her hair using her hands.

“What am I going to do?” Hannah said helpless.

“You have to tell your family.” Victoria told her.

“I can’t. I don’t have the courage to tell my parents that I am pregnant.” She sobbed.

“But you have to. You can’t do this on your own. Yes, you have Nichkhun and me but it will be better if you have your family with you. I can arrange a flight back to Korea for you.”

“I am not coming back to Korea. Not yet. I’ll think of another way.” Hannah replied.

“Hey! You are not going to abort the baby! I won’t let you!” Victoria panicked.

“No! Why will I do that?! This is my baby!” I shouted back.

“Sorry. I was just nervous. So what are you planning to do?”

“I need to be sure about this first. I’ll go to the hospital today. But for sure, I am not going back to Korea because of this and I will still finish my studies here.” Hannah whispered.

“I’ll go with you.”

“Thanks Victoria.” Hannah hugged her tightly.

Victoria and Nichkhun decided not to attend classes that day and just accompany Hannah to see a doctor. Even though he is still clueless on what is happening, Nichkhun drove them to the hospital. When Hannah is having her check up, Victoria told Nichkhun that their friend is pregnant and the news shocked him.

“TWINS?!” The three of them exclaimed.

“Yes. She is 8 weeks on the way and she is having twins. We are not sure yet if it is identical or fraternal. We have to wait until the twelfth to sixteenth week to determine the gender of the babies.”

“Doctor, are you sure that she is having twins?” Nichkhun asked still surprised with the turn of events.

“I am very sure. Are you the father?” The doctor asked with a smile.

“No.No.No. I am her friend.” The guy explained and the doctor nodded.

“Ms. Park, from now on you should go here for regular checkup, pregnant women should be gaining weight but on your case, you are losing weight. You should take care of yourself more.”

“Thank you, Doctor Miller.” Hannah smiled at the young doctor. Nichkhun and Victoria also said there thanks before going out of her office.

“Come on Ms. Park, I’ll buy a lot of tangerines for you and the twins.” Victoria beamed at her and led her to Nichkhun’s car.

“I’ll tell Inyoung eonni first. I don’t have the courage to speak with my parents now.” Hannah mumbled as she sat on the back seat. Victoria and Nichkhun looked at each other before looking at Hannah.

“I think that would be better. How about your oppa? He can help your eonni to talk to your parents.” Victoria said. With that, Hannah shook his head continuously.

“I can manage to tell my parents about this, but not oppa. It will be a big problem if he knows.”

“Why? I met your oppa once when he came to visit you last year and I can say that he is a good man and he truly cares for you.”

“Things are complicated so I can’t tell him.”

“2 months ago you are in your vacation in Korea. The father is that guy, right?” Victoria stated.

“Who? The one who is on the same group with your brother?” Nichkhun asked but Hannah remained silent.

“You have to tell them.” Victoria insisted.

“They didn’t know that I met him again during my vacation and I only saw him once.”

“Only once?! And now you are having twins. Oh man, that guy is good.” Nichkhun muttered to himself. But the car is not really big so Victoria heard him. Victoria pinched his arms while glaring at him and mouthed, ‘What the hell are you saying?!’ Nichkhun covered his mouth and mouthed his apology.

“You have no plans of telling that guy?” Victoria asked.

“His name is Hyukjae in case you are purposely forgetting it. As of now, I don’t have plans of telling him. We separated on a bad note the last time we met. After what happened, he offered marriage and I declined his proposal.”

“Why did you-“ Victoria stopped in mid sentence because Nichkhun looked at her silently commanding her to stop nagging Hannah. “Oh God, Hannah!” That is what she managed to say.

“They are doing great in Korea now and they are getting famous in Asia. It is Hyukjae’s dream, Leeteuk oppa’s dream, my good friend Donghae’s dream, Donghae’s father’s dream for him. They are working hard for it and I don’t want to get in the way of their popularity. I can do this and besides, I have the two of you with me.” Hannah explained controlling her tears.

“Hey! You can’t cry. Wait Hannah, don’t cry. It is bad for the twins.” Victoria panicked.

“I am fine. I will be fine.” Hannah sniffed. Victoria went to the back seat and consoled Hannah. Nichkhun on the other hand looked at the rear view mirror. We the sight of his friends, he promised himself that he will protect and take care of them in anyway possible.

When Mr. and Mrs. Park got the news from Inyoung that Hannah is pregnant, they immediately went to Boston to check on her. Parents will be parents, at first they are really disappointed with the news but they came to support Hannah. Mr. Park almost killed Nichkhun because he thought that he is the father but he calmed down when Hannah told him that Nichkhun is not the father. Hannah was hesitant at first to tell them who the father is but she doesn’t want to lie to them, it was already enough that she disappointed her parents. Both of them were surprised, relieved and worried when Hannah told them that it was Hyukjae. Surprised because they didn’t know that they saw each other again, relieved because at least they know that there is a strong emotion behind everything and that it is not just a random guy. Worried because Hannah asked them to keep it as a secret to Hyukjae and even to his brother. They questioned her decision but when she told them the reason, they understood and even if they wanted both of the guys to know, they decided to respect her decision. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------------------------------------------------

New subscribers <3 Love you guys!

Don't forget to leave comments... I have 50+ subscribers but there are only about 10 who are commenting :(