Hyukjae Appa!

That Thin Line

 

HANNAH POV

                I woke up at the sound of my alarm clock. 7:00 am. Jihoon is sleeping beside me and I felt relieved when I checked his temperature. The fever is already gone and I believe that he’ll be back to his old self when he wakes up. I made a mental note to do my warm up for the day, I need to prepare for a lot of chasing and playing today. After doing my morning rituals, I went to the kids’ bedroom to check on Jiyoon. I smiled seeing him all cuddled up on bed while hugging his stuff toy tightly, a part of the blanket covered his legs and the rest is sprawled on the floor.  I fixed the blanket over him and went to check on my last ‘patient’.

Same with Jihoon, Hyukjae’s fever is also gone and I can see that he is relaxed now unlike last night. I think his body finally had the rest that it needed. Afraid that I might wake him up with my presence, I exited the room and started the day by cooking breakfast.

Not long after I’ve finished cooking, Jihoon came running to the kitchen with Jiyoon who is lazily walking behind him, still in their pajamas and messy hair.

“Eommy! I can play now!” Jiyoon exclaimed while jumping around the kitchen.

                “Yes you can but don’t be too loud. Eommy has a visitor.” I told him while preparing the pancakes on the low table at the living room for them to eat.

                “Why?” He asked while poking on the chocolate syrup on his pancake.

                “Because he is sick.” I briefly replied.

                “Kiss him!  Eommy kiss me and am okay.” He mumbled and started stuffing his mouth with food. I looked at Jiyoon wondering why he didn’t bulge a bit even at the sight of food in front of him. I suppressed a laugh when I saw him resting his back at the couch with eyes closed and mouth open.

“Jihoon ah, did you wake your brother up?” I asked him. He nodded and starts explaining while munching on his food.

“Awhaoonafhulae-“

“Don’t talk when your mouth is full, Jihoon.” I reprimanded him. He swallowed the food on his mouth and explained again.

“I want to play. But Yoon sleeping.” Jihoon looked at his brother and knotted his forehead when he saw him sleeping. He breathed in and I think what he did next shook the whole apartment.

“YOON! SSSHHHHOOLATE~~~~~~~!” He screamed at the top of his lungs. Jiyoon was definitely startled as he immediately opened his eyes and sat up straight. Jihoon continued screaming while his eyes closed.

“SSSHOLATE! SSHOLATE!” Jiyoon covered his ears and I covered Jihoon’s mouth.

“Ssshhooo—UMPH!” I placed my finger on my lips telling him to shut up.

“Jihoon, what did I say?”

“Don’t loud?” He asked. “Oops!” He covered his mouth with his hand. “Sorry, eommy.”

“Don’t do it again.” I removed Jiyoon’s hand from his ears and nudge him to eat breakfast. After finally settling his attention to the food, his face lit up and started eating. And as usual, the whole breakfast is still a chaos since the twins are all over each other’s food, snatching a piece if the other is not looking.

After freshening them up, I let them stay on the play room and played with them for some time. When the doorbell rang, I went to see who wants to pay us a visit this morning. I was rather shocked to see almost all of the Suju guys outside my apartment looking really excited.

“They said they wanted to pay a visit.” Heechul oppa explained.

“Why don’t you tell them the reason why they wanted to?” Leeteuk oppa said sarcastically with a smirk.

“I told you, it accidentally slipped my mouth. I was too tired and that maknae is bugging the hell out of me!” Heechul oppa glared at Kyuhyun.

“Noona! I bought something!” Kyuhyun said showing me a shopping bag from a famous shop for children. CHILDREN?!

“Yah! I bought something for them too!” Sungmin oppa exclaimed.

“I will cook for lunch!” Ryeowook volunteered showing a grocery bag.

“I baked cookies for the kids!” Jinyoung added.

“You didn’t bake it! You took it from your café!” Donghae said while adjusting the stuff toy under his arms.

Everyone started showing off on what they bought for the kids. I let them in before they can even attract attention from my neighbors. I glared at Heechul oppa and Leeteuk oppa. Leeteuk oppa keeps on pointing at Heechul oppa.

They are still busy with their I-am-a-better-uncle-than-you conversation when I heard a loud thud from one of the rooms. Everyone was silenced.

“I’ll go and check what’s happening. Stay here and please minimize your noise, Hyukjae is still sleeping.” I said and left them on the living room.

 

 

EUNHYUK POV

                The sun’s rays are already creeping through the blinds waking me up from my deep slumber. I don’t know how long my sleep was but I am pretty sure that it was long enough for me to regain my lost energy from of all the rehearsals and schedules. I made a mental note not to deprive myself of sufficient amount of rest next time. Yesterday felt like hell as I force myself to work and finish rehearsals. I got a handful of scolding from our manager, the hyungs, the dongsaengs and even that evil maknae. When Leeteuk hyung found out that I was running a fever, he immediately called Hannah. I begged him not to because I don’t want her to worry about me but he didn’t listen. He knows that only Hannah can do something about my stubbornness. And now, I am already thankful that he did because I got myself to rest, Hannah took care of me last night and I can spend time with her now.

I am still enjoying the comfortable bed while hugging a pillow when I suddenly felt my body bouncing and seems like someone is jumping on the bed. Thinking that it is just Hannah, trying to wake me up, with eyes still closed, I cover my head with the sheets. I decided not to get up until I get my morning kiss. My eyes remained closed and silently wished that the jumping will end soon because the motion is making my head dizzy.

JUMP!

BOUNCE.

JUMP!

BOUNCE.

JUMP!

 

I can’t take it anymore!

“HANNAH, STOP IT!” I reprimanded as I get up. But instead of Hannah, I saw two toddlers jumping on the bed and both of them lose their balance after hearing me shout. My eyes widened when I realize that both of them will fall from the bed. I suddenly felt nervous and on instinct, I jumped out of the bed and reached for them and tried to switch our position so that they will fall above me instead of falling to the floor. With closed eyes, I pulled their heads to my chest as my back landed on the cold floor, taking all the impact of the fall. I breathe a sigh of relief as I felt the ache on my back. Yeah, I am relieved that I was the one hurt and not the kids. I don’t know why but that is how I feel.

I felt them move above me so I opened my eyes. Two sets of brown orbs met my eyes. Brown orbs meet brown orbs. Wait, I think my eyes are losing focus. Why am I seeing two similar faces? I blinked and blinked… and blinked.  Then it hit me. Pabo Hyukjae, they are identical twins! And then I remembered Hannah’s wallpaper.

‘Oh, her friend’s sons.’ I thought.

“You kids, okay?” I asked them.

They nodded. A warm feeling enveloped my heart as the twins smiled, their dimples showing. I smiled back as I felt my growing fondness for them. Oh how I wish I have kids like them.

I tried to adjust my position but I ended up wincing. ‘You are not Superman, Lee Hyukjae!’ I reminded myself.

“You, okay?” One of the twins asked with worried eyes.

“I am okay as long as you guys are okay.” I assured them. I just hope they can understand Korean.

“But you do like this.” The other one argued mimicking how I winced a while ago. I laughed at his cuteness.

“Want me call eommy to kiss you?” The kid asked, still lying on top of me. ‘Just call your Auntie Hannah to kiss me.’ I replied in my mind.

“No need for that but can you get up now kids? Uncle needs to stand up.” I told them.

When they finally stood up, I sat up on the floor and fixed my unruly hair. I looked back at them and ruffled their hair.

Their faces lit up and I swear I stopped breathing for a second when I heard the word that escaped from their mouths.

“A---PPA~!”

And they said it again while pointing at me.

“APPA!”

I pointed at myself with wide eyes. Oh! Maybe, it was just a mistake. Kids.

“What is happening in here?” I looked at the direction of the door and saw Hannah standing there with hands across her chest.

 “I heard a loud noise. Jiyoon, Jihoon, I told you to stay on the playroom, why are you here? Did you jump on the bed again?” She asked like a nagging mother.

The kids pouted as they bowed their heads and hid behind me.

“I am the one who fell from the bed not them.” I tried to cover up for the kids. Now, why did I sound like a defensive father?

“Don’t cover up for their wrong, Hyukjae.”

“Sorry, I know I don’t have any right to interfere. Let them off the hook this time, there are just kids.”

“Eommy, Sorry.” The kids said from behind me. ‘Eommy?’

“It is eomma and mommy mixed together.” Hannah could have noticed my confused expression because she tried to explain. I nodded. But why would they call her that? Unless…

Hannah sighed while looking at me looking back at her with confusion still evident in my face.

“Eommy, you angry?” One of the twins asked her.

“No baby, but I need to talk to your appa now.”

APPA??? What the hell is going on in here?

“Uncle Teukkie and Uncle Heechul are outside with more uncles and they have something for you, now go!” She told them. The kids ran outside screaming.

“Teukie~Teukie~”

“Sssshullee Ashushi~”

Hannah closed the door after the kids are gone and breathed in before facing me.

“You have lots of explaining to do. And start with ‘appa’.” I told her as I sat back on the bed.

She bit her lips, which she always does when she is nervous.

“I know that you might hate me because of this but please try to listen first.” She started.

After inhaling a proper amount of air and exhaling it harshly, she spilled the information that surprised the hell out of me.

“The twins.. they..they are mine.” She stuttered. But what shocked me the most are her next words..

“…and yours. They are ours.” She said almost in a whisper.

That moment it felt like something hard bump into my chest and I can barely breathe. Did she just say that the twins are… HERS? And MINE? OURS????!!!!

“Is this some kind of a joke?” I laughed uneasily and started scanning the room for hidden cameras. “Or maybe a prank?”

Looking at her bothered expression, I already know the answer. 

But… is it even possible? I mean we just did it once. .. Yeah, just once… 'But you didn't use protection!' my brain argued.

“We have twins? Am I that great?” I mumbled to myself.

“What?” Hannah asked.

“I mean, how did it happen?”  I said confused.

“Hyukjae, are you serious? You really want me to explain how it happened? Because seriously, I expect you to remember everything since you are the one who is not drunk that night.”

With the memory of what happened that night, I swallowed the lump on my throat.  ‘Lee Hyukjae, focus!’

“Are the twins really my son? Are they really mine?” I asked again cautiously wanting to be sure that I heard everything right but I think Hannah took it the wrong way.

“Oh no, I was just joking! They are Nichkhun’s!” She said full of sarcasm but when she saw the look that I am giving her, one which almost look like fire is ready to come out from my eyes, she sighed and rubbed her neck.

“They are 2 years and nine months old. If you can still remember that night, you can start counting now. And just so you know, I never had a man in my life after you.” She said and turned her back to leave the room.

Before she can even get out of the room, I pulled her back and closed the door.

“We are not yet done talking.” I told her.

“I thought you might need some time to figure things out and accept the truth. I am telling you this because you have the right to know. But if you don’t want to believe me, I can’t do anything about it. At least, the other guys are kind enough to welcome the twins in the family.” She stated.

“Hey, when did I say that I don’t believe you? I never doubted you and the kids, okay? I was just making sure that I heard everything right because I don’t want to jump into conclusions again.” I hugged her. “Oh God, I am already a father.” I mumbled more to myself.

“Why didn’t you tell me back then?” I asked softly. The issue is not about me having rights of knowing it but she failed to inform me. I am concerned more on how she was able to make it on her own thinking that she is thousand miles away from her family and me. I just wish that I was there to take care of her. She started explaining things and I found out that Nichkhun and her other friend Victoria was apparently there to help her out.

“That explains Nichkhun’s actions towards me.” I pondered.  “Oh God, I am already a father.” I repeated.

After minutes of silence, I sighed and held Hannah’s hands. Other people in a situation like mine might be outraged upon knowing such thing but in my case I decided not to. This is not the time for my immature acts, I am a father now. Yes, I was disappointed because she didn’t tell me but what’s the point of being furious? I love Hannah more than anything else and we have kids that I instantly grew fond off in less than a minute.

“What are their names?” I asked and Hannah was taken aback.

“Hyukjae, you can tell me that you really hate me now. I will understand, I promise.”

“Why will I say that? I don’t hate you.”

“You don’t hate me?”

“I will never hate you, remember? Well, I am kind of upset that you just told me now. It was pitiful that I didn’t saw how my children grew up in their first 3 years. But thinking of what you might have been through all these years without me, I think I have no right to question you further. I am just happy now that you finally told me and let’s just start there. I don’t want to have negative feelings while we are raising the kids so let’s just leave all those issues behind. I’ll start being the responsible father from now on and I’ll make up for the lost times.” I told her lovingly. She smiled at me and hugged me tightly.

“And Hannah, I’m sorry but, I can’t consider you as my baby anymore.” She snapped her head up to look at me and I chuckled.

“I have two babies to look out for now.” I explained and she grinned back.

“Let’s see about that. You don’t know how relieved and thankful I am to here that. It is Jiyoon and Jihoon by the way.” She chuckled.

“Nice names.”

“Baby, I’m sorry for hiding this from you for so long but believe me, if our situation is not like that back then, I could have told you. But, you guys are starting to gain massive popularity during that time, I was afraid that it might ruin your group’s career.” She mumbled against my chest.

“The forever selfless, Park Hannah. Why am I not surprised to hear that from you, baby?” I smiled at her.

“I thought I am not your baby anymore?”

“Well, on second thought, I don’t mind having three babies. Even four, five, six, seven, eight…” I grinned at her. She gave me a peck on the lips.

“Thank you, Hyuk.”

“For calling you baby or for considering having more than eight babies?” I teased. She playfully hit my shoulders.

“Not so soon, baby. But seriously, thank you for accepting everything lightly.”

“I should be the one thanking you. Thank you for giving me such beautiful children.” I grinned.

“But be sure to get yourself ready, appa! You will surely experience what you parents felt when they are raising you up. Make that two times the intensity.”

“They are really a handful?”

 “See it for yourself.” She stuck her tongue out. I rolled my eyes and gave her a long kiss just to be interrupted by a loud cry from the living room. My eyes widened upon hearing one of my son’s cry. I ran out of the room as fast as I could.

Hyukjae appa… Yeah, that’s me.

 

 

 

 

-----------------------------------------

HYUKJAE APPA! There you go! XD