A cold welcome...

That Thin Line

Hannah POV

 

“Enjoying the party?” I looked at the person who tapped my shoulder and saw Donghae behind me.

 

“The party is just fine.” I sighed. Ever since I get in here I never really enjoyed a thing about this party. First, the crazy press outside. Then, the seconds of scandal with Heechul oppa, just the thought of it makes me laugh. After that, the announcement of Leeteuk oppa about our relationship which resulted to everyone’s attention on me, people are asking me a lot of questions about being his younger sister because he never really mentioned that he has one. And then there is that quick scene with Hyukjae. When our eyes met a while ago, I felt my heart went haywire. As much as my mind wanted to deny it, I am still not over him. Then here comes a number of PDs, asking me to guest on their shows and Lee Soo Man himself asking me to join SM entertainment. It was just too much for me.

 

“With that face, I doubt it.” Donghae commented and sat on the chair beside me. “So how’s my long lost friend?”

 

“Long lost friend huh?” I shook my head.

 

“You never contacted me or Jinyoung when you went to Boston. I was expecting a call from you but you never called, not even once. Without hyungs’ constant updates about you, I will never know what’s going on with your life.”

 

“I’m sorry, I just wanted to live things the way it is. I mean we both know how close you and Hyukjae had become. I can’t risk calling you knowing that he might be around.”

 

“But you still managed to call Leeteuk hyung.”

 

“That’s a different case, he is my brother.”

 

“I am you friend.”

 

“Hyukjae is your close friend.” I stated and sighed. “Donghae, the thing is, I don’t know how you will take everything back then. You will be caught in the middle if I kept on communicating with you. I don’t want to ruin your friendship with Eunhyuk because he’s here and you’ll be in the same group while me, I am miles away from you. It will be for the best if you stayed being his friend than being my friend. Things would be difficult for you if I didn’t do that.”

 

“What about Jinyoung he might be friends with Eunhyuk because of me but his loyalty will be yours.”

 

“Just the same. I don’t want things to become more complicated than it really is back then. I wanted to start a new life in Boston and forget everything that had happened here in Korea.”

 

“You know it wouldn’t be for long because you are destined to comeback. You shouldn’t have done it Hannah.”

 

“I know. But there is no use of regretting what happened in the past. I know I hurt you guys and I left everyone confused with my actions but I’m back and I’ll make it up to everyone.”

 

“Including him?”

 

I became hesitant at first. “Honestly Donghae, I don’t know how to deal with him. I had hurt him a lot and I swear I had learned to hate him for being the guy that he is now, if you know what I mean.”

 

“Yeah, he changed a lot. I think I know why.” He looked at me as if telling me that everything was my fault.

 

“Don’t give me that look Donghae.”

 

“I am not blaming you, Hannah. Forget it. So we’re good?”

 

“What do you mean good?”

 

“Back to being friends?” He said while smiling at me.

 

“I never stopped being your friend. I was just on hiatus.” I grinned at him. He did the same and gave me a high five.

 

“By the way, have you seen Leeteuk oppa?” I asked him.

 

“He is just around boasting about his dongsaeng who graduated in Berklee College of Music, who is really good at dancing, who is smart, pretty, who is good at photography and used to model in the U.S.” He is using his fingers to count while saying those things. “Did I forget something?” My eyes almost popped out.

 

“He said those things? Why is he bragging about it?! And it is not like I did professional modeling, it was just a hobby and I just did it for a friend’s magazine!”

 

“Tell that to your oppa, he was just too proud of you. I won’t be surprised if someone approach you and ask you to appear on their shows and stuffs like that.”

 

“I was actually having a handful of those proposals the moment I stepped in here, now I know why.”

 

“Really? You accepted any of them?”

 

“Not yet. I am not interested.

 

“Most girls will do everything just to take your spot now.”

 

“I am not ‘most girls’.” I said and he nodded.

 

Donghae and I are still doing a lot of catching up when the other boys joined us.

 

“So you are Leeteuk hyung’s younger sister? Nice to meet you, I am –“

“Shindong oppa.” I finished his sentence for him. I must say that he was surprised and quite happy. I looked at the other guy and acknowledged him. “Yesung oppa.” He has the same reaction with Shindong.

 

“Me!Me!Me!” The maknae interrupted.

 

“Kyuhyun ssi…” I smiled at him and the guy smirked at the other members as if saying that ‘see the popularity of this guy?’.

 

“… the maknae who doesn’t look like one.” I added. Kyuhyun’s jaw dropped while the guys started laughing and again I high fived Donghae and Heechul oppa. This is actually my first time meeting the three guys. I never had the chance to meet them before because they joined Sment later than everybody else in the group.

 

“That’s my sister!” Leeteuk oppa commented.

 

“Yah oppa! Why are you bragging about me?” I remember I have to interrogate him.

 

“What’s wrong with that? I am just so proud of you, that’s why.” He reasoned.

 

“But I am receiving a lot of offers now.”

 

“Accept them all.” Kyuhyun suggested.

 

“She won’t” Donghae oppa and Leeteuk oppa said at the same time.

 

“I don’t want to.”

 

“Why?” Yesung oppa asked.

 

“Leeteuk oppa’s popularity is just too much to handle, I won’t add up to it.” I joked.

 

“It is just because she hated having less than 8 hours of sleep, which is the consequence of being popular.” Oppa said and the others laughed at it. Oh well, that’s one of the reasons why.

 

“Wait, we are not complete. Does anyone know where hyu-“ Siwon oppa was about to say something but when his gaze drifted on me he stopped and I saw the guys glared at him. “I mean, where YOU can take photos?” Okay, his sentences would never jive. He is saying nonsense and it is not so him.

 

“What the heck are you talking about Siwon?” Sungmin oppa asked with a knotted forehead.

 

“Nothing. Nevermind.” Siwon oppa bowed is head.

 

“Come on guys! If you want to talk about hyukjae in front of me, by all means do so. I am not preventing you anyway.” I told them.

 

“But-“

 

“No buts. I don’t want you guys too feel awkward in front of me okay? I am fine with it so don’t worry.”

 

“Are you sure it’s okay to talk about hyukjae?” Leeteuk oppa asked.

 

“Did I just hear my name?” Everyone remained silent and faced the person behind me who said those words, well except me. Something is preventing me from doing so.

 

“EUNHYUK ah! I thought you went home.” I heard Donghae oppa talked to him. I think he is nervous.

 

“I just met my friend. She’s just around the corner and since hyung told us that we can’t tag anyone along, I went to see her there.”

 

I felt as if something stabbed my heart when I heard those words from him. ‘I am not jealous!’

 

“And who is this beautiful lady in front of me?”

 

Is he pertaining to me? I felt someone wrapped his arms around my shoulders and when I looked at who did it, I saw Hyukjae smiling at me, a smile which can never be trusted.

 

“Nice to see you again, Park Hannah. Are you done fulfilling your dreams?” And as if it wasn’t enough he kissed me on the cheek.

 

“How’s my ex girlfriend? Missed me?” He said everything full of sarcasm and coldness.

 

 I knew it, he definitely hates me, I could feel it, but, what the heck! He is treating me as if I am just a random girl who would want to hit it with him! I am very sure that he is using those tricks on me, his playboy tricks, the thing that I hated the most. Wrong move Lee Hyukjae. Wrong move! Before I can have my chance of slapping him on the face, which I would definitely want to do at the moment, someone took me away from him.

 

“Come on Hannah, let’s dance.” Leeteuk oppa dragged me to the dance floor his face being so serious. I looked back and saw the other members having the same look on their faces while Hyukjae, he is looking at me with that cold expression. Before I turn my attention back to Leeteuk oppa, I saw Heechul oppa grabbed him by his collar, and the other members are trying to stop him.

 

“I think I ruined your birthday party, oppa.” I told him as we started dancing.

           

     He hugged me. “No you didn’t. Stop thinking about it.” He assured me and I am sure I will cry anytime soon. “Don’t you dare cry, Park Hannah or I’ll surely kill someone right now.”

 

“Don’t even think about it, oppa. We both know that it was my fault that’s why he is being like that.

 

“I myself was disappointed with your decision 5 years ago. I gave him my sympathy but I didn’t give him any right to hurt you. I will never let him.” Oppa said. I think Hyukjae didn’t tell him anything. He has no idea of what had happened 3 years ago, because if he has, he will understand Hyukjae’s action more.

 

 “I hurt him. The moment I did, I also gave him the right to do the same.”

 

 “Aren’t you tired of these things, Hannah? I think the two of you needs to talk, a serious talk.” He suggested.

 

 I shook my head with his suggestion. “With how things are going right now, I think it is not a good idea. We will surely talk on our own time. Not now.”

 

I saw Heechul oppa walking our way and I smiled at him, a smile that didn’t reach my eyes.

 

“Talk to that guy.” He told Leeteuk oppa and took me on his hands. “I can’t stand talking without punching the lights out of him. I’ll take care of Hannah.”

 

Oppa nodded. “I can’t promise that I won’t punch him though.” I was about to stop him when Heechul oppa prevented me. “Let him do his thing, your brother can handle it perfectly. I am sure. He is the best leader the kpop world will ever have.”

 

I agreed. “And he is the best older brother that anyone could have.” But I can’t help but worry about Hyukjae.

 

“Don’t worry about Eunhyuk, if your brother punch him, he deserves it anyway for acting like an in front of you.” He said as if reading my thoughts.

 

“I am not worried.”

 

“Your eyes are saying otherwise.” I looked at him and he just smiled. “Enjoy your night, Hannah. Show him you are not affected.”

 

I nodded. It was really nice having Heechul oppa beside me acting as my older brother while Leeteuk oppa is not around to protect me. Me and my feelings.