Rays Of The Sun

The Hidden Love

“Yes” YB answered.

“Oh, I’m really sorry! I forgot to tell you that I-“ she stopped and glanced at GD, “that I’ll just wander around for a while. But I’m coming back there.” She started walking but was stopped by GD’s hand. She turned around.

“Give me the phone” he mouthed as he held a hand out to her. She frowned at him. When she didn’t budge, he sighed impatiently and stole the phone from her.

“Ya! Give that back!” she protested.

“Hey” GD greeted YB on the phone as if he didn’t hear her protests. “Yes, it’s me”

“Ji, give that back” Dara tried again.

“Shush, I told you no more late practices for the meantime. You’re exhausting yourself too much already” he scolded. He turned back to the phone and continued talking to YB. “Sorry, bro. But Dara can’t go back there. She needs rest”
He paused as he listened. Then, he chuckled. “Yes, she is really stubborn. Oh.. Don’t worry, she’s fine. Limbs and head still intact. Well, aside from her permanently-damaged brain, she’s perfectly fine”
Another pause. “I got that covered. I’ll be walking her to the dorm”

He ended the call and gave the phone back to her with a victorious smile.

“Ya! Why’d you end the call? I wasn’t finished talking to him yet”

“You’re going home”

“But, I-“

“No buts” he snapped, grabbing her wrist.

“What did Youngbae say?” she asked later on. GD was quiet for a while, like he was thinking what he’s going to say.

“He got worried when he didn’t see you in the practice room. He thought you were sick and went home early”

“Oh, he’s such a sweet guy, isn’t he?” she mumbled chuckling. His eyes squinted into tiny slits as his hold on her wrist tightened.

Dara felt awkward seeing Ji being SO quiet. She cleared . “YB saw me one night practicing late, he was on his way home from practice, too. From then on, he decided to keep me company during my practices. He’s really helping me a lot, I mean, I asked for his opinion and advice sometimes… So.. . That’s why he’s been looking for me” she explained. Not that she needs to, since he didn’t ask her about it, but can’t just shut it.

----->

“It’s your turn” Dara said as she sits beside YB on the floor. Eversince YB caught her practicing late at night, he’s been keeping her company. He would practice sometimes, too, but he would just watched and observed her most of the time.

“Nah, I’m fine. I’m actually having more fun watching you”

“Aigoo! I’m being unfair to you now. You should be practicing yourself instead of watching me. I’m consuming too much electricity for myself already”

“Don’t worry about the electricity, the company can pay for it”

“C’mon, Youngbae-ah! I really learn a lot just by watching you”

He looked at her for a few seconds. “Okay, okay. Aish, you’re very hard to resist” he mumbled. He stood up and went to the player. Dara clapped her hands and leaned her back against the mirrored wall, a smile on her face as the Wedding Dress started playing. YB faced her again as the soft intro part of the piano played. Then, he started singing and dancing to it. She watched him in amazement. But, her smile slowly faded as she continued watching YB. He was making her nervous with all the “eye-making” contact he’s making.

“That’s really a sad song” she mumbled when he was finished and was now sitting beside her.

“Yeah, it’s a very sad ending” he answered almost as quietly as she did.

“Is there something you can’t do? She suddenly asked desperately. He gave her a long look before chuckling.

“What do you mean?” he asked.

“I mean, you can dance, sing and now you’re writing your own stuffs, too”

“Teddy hyung helped me there. I can’t really say that I’m into it already”

“Maybe you should teach me, too. Just like rapping before”

He chuckled. “You should ask GD, he’s more into writing than me”

She pouted. “Aish. You know Ji, he’ll just probably laugh and make fun of me. It’ll be another disaster”

“I can’t blame him, though. You can be really funny sometimes”

“Ya!” she burst. YB laughed more at himself, he finds it really weird that his funny side always shows up when he’s with her.

“So, tell me, is there something you can’t do but you want to do? Maybe I can help you? It’s about time for me to do something for you in return” she asked again.

“Well, I’m not really an actor, but I want to star in a drama or movie someday”

“I’ve seen your MVs, you’re acting skills are not bad”

“Really? That’s really flattering, especially hearing it from you” He became silent for a while. “Well, there are a lot of things I can’t do that I’ve been wanting to do for a long time now. But it’s something I should learn by myself” he mumbled, looking at her intently.

“Oh” she said, disappointment overwhelming in her voice.

“You sound so disappointed”

“I am. You’ve been helping me a lot. I just want to return the favor”

He looked at her disappointed face, can’t bear seeing her like that, he slowly, started. “Well, if you insist, hmm” he thought for a moment.

“What is it?” she hyped up.

“Remember when we went skiing sometime ago with the other trainees?”

“Neh” she answered quickly.

“Remember when you made a soup and hot chocolate drink for Jiyong?”

“I didn’t make it for him alone! Who would’ve thought that he ate all of it by himself? Aish!” she heated up in disbelief, remembering how she left Ji for a moment to call the others to eat, then coming back with an empty pan and container. And yes, the culprit was Kown Jiyong. He devoured all of it! “Anyways, what about it?”

“Can you make one for me? I really wanted to taste it, but you know what happened” laughs.

“Oh, of course! But you should stay away from Ji, though”

He chuckled lightly. “You can’t really blame him at that time, though. I mean, you buried his face deep into the snow! He must’ve felt really cold. And his face was really all swollen up”

She laughed. “Yeah, that’s why he always refuses when we’re taking pictures. Too bad we don’t have pictures together, too. Since you became our photographer. You were really thoughtful at that time, and Ji was playfully determined to get revenge”

“Yeah, he was too playful that time. I really felt bad about the snowball fight”

“Oh, that!” she chuckled. “You were trying to protect me from Ji’s snowballs, but-“

“But I only blocked one snowball, since I’m caught with other snowball fights” he continued.

“Well, you can’t really stop Ji if he’s determined even if you weren’t involve in other snowball fights. But I had fun, really”

“Speaking of Jiyong, won’t he get mad if he finds out you’ve been disobeying him? ‘Coz to tell you the truth, I actually agree with him. You shouldn’t do late practices on consecutive nights. Maybe you should do it alternatively?”

“I really don’t want to make mistakes again”

“But you’re pushing yourself too hard”

“You’re doing it also! I saw you working so late that you’re actually getting sick from it” she fired back.

“That’s different” YB disagreed.

“Oh, really? How’s that different?” she asked sarcastically.

“Aish..” he shook his head. “One of the things I can’t do that I REALLY want to do is tame your stubbornness”

She laughed.



The next day. . .

“Annyeong!” Dara greeted as she entered the practice room where GD and YB are currently rehearsing for their Korean Dream. “Youngbae-ah, I made a soup and hot choco drink for you”

GD looked stunned in disbelief as she gave YB what she prepared. Then, YB called the others and asked them to join him while GD remained where he was, rooted to the spot.

Dara looked around and saw GD still wearing that same expression of disbelief in one corner of the room. She smiled and approached him. She took something out from her bag as she was now standing in front of him. She gave a neat plastic to him.

“Cookies!” she chirped as he received the same “G” and “D” shaped cookie she made before.

“Did I hear someone say cookies? Did you bake Dara? Can I have some?” the trainer asked, apparently, he heard her.

“AANNII!!” GD forcefully refused.

Dara laughed as she watched the trainer looking at the cookies intently. She really finds it weird how two different people became bestfriends. In one corner, YB was sharing what he got to the others while Ji was selfishly munching the cookies by himself and looking like he won’t give anyone even a single crumble. But what was weirder was her heart. She actually finds Ji’s “selfishness” act sweet and funny.

------->

A few hours before MAMA. . . .

A phone was ringing. GD answered it. “Hello?”

“I just want to remind you, Kwon Jiyong, no unnecessary behavior tonight or else I’m going to extend your wait to ten years”

“TEN YEARS?!?” he burst out. “But she will be 36 years old at that time! How am I going to have five little Jiyongs and five little Daras with thart?”

“Five little Jiyongs and Daras?!? How sure are you that she’ll be saying yes, eh?” the President taunted.

“Well, I. . . . I’m still trying to figure that out myself”

The President laughed heartily which GD finds very irritating for the first time.

“Well, goodluck with that. And oh, don’t be too sensitive, Jiyong-ah”

Later on. . .

“I thought you said you’re not comfortable wearing shorts and skirts?” he asked.

“Well, yes, but-“

“Dara unnie, we have to go” CL called.

Okay, she was not looking just gorgeous tonight. She was in fact and no doubt oh-so-breathtakinlgy-gorgeous. Dresses do fit her BUT dang! Her dress was showing too much of her skin! Too much! It was really heard to be caught in between loving and hating how she looked too beautiful for herself.


Dara was seated with the girls. They’re currently watching Taeyang perform. When the crowd started chanting “Dong Youngbae”, Dara joined in. Then, sooner or later, the girls followed suit. But again, she felt de ja vu as YB started throwing her peculiar looks. It was making her uneasy. If he’s doing it on purpose or unconsciously, she doesn’t know. One thing’s for sure: she can see a glimpse of pain in his eyes. And she doesn’t like it. Not even a bit. Someone like YB who always finds time to help others should not be feeling pain.

Meanwhile. . .

The President was watching the event and he just wanted to shrink in his seat from embarrassment as he covered his face out of frustration and amusement as he saw GD “overly doing” what he said. ‘Ah, these kids take everything I say too seriously. First, the no-boyfriend contact and now this! Am I not allowed to joke around anymore?’ he thought.


After the show. . .

The YGE staff and crew were celebrating. Everyone gathered around GD and 2NE1 as they congratulated them for bagging awards. The girls were crying really hard, except for Dara, who’s been trying to hold back, though there were still a few stubborn tears escaping her eyes. She looked around and saw the others comforting Bom, who was crying the hrdest among them. Some were comforting the maknae, too. She also saw CL and GD having some “leader” conversation, that’s what she thinks anyways. Then, her eyes caught YB in a corner, looking alone, silently laughing and cheering for them. She squeezed her way out of the crowd and went to him.

“Congratualtions! You did very well! You were amazing out there” YB chuckled, giving her a little tight hug.

“Thank you! She said, tears starting to peak from her eyes again. “You did very well, too! Eventhough you’re not feeling that well”

“Nah, you girls were more awesome!”

Dara chuckled lightly.

“Dara!” someone called from behind.