Stolen Glances

The Hidden Love

‘Back to work’ he thought as they arrived at the venue for the Idol Show. Since it’s a pre-recorded event, there was much lesser commotion and pressure in the backstage compared to live events. They already shoot the jamming version of I Don’t Care, and done rehearsing on stage. They were at the backstage that moment. Bom and CL were done with their make-up and hairstyle while Minzy was on the process of it. Dara, who was sitting beside CL, was still make-up free.

“Bom noona and Minzy are really charming today” SeungRi suddenly said. Then, he continued, “but Dara noona is really pretty even without her make-up on”

Dara laughed shyly at SeugRi.

It wouldn’t take a genius or a fortune teller to tell what SeungRi is up to. He was trying to piss CL off again.

But Teddy chuckled. “CL looks very feminine with her hair down, doesn’t she?” Turned to GD, who smiled then nodded. “Yeah. It suits her”

“Oh! I didn’t notice that CL is already here! Is that her beside Dara noona? I thought-“ SeungRi started.

“I’ve got Papa Teddy earrings, here, take a look” CL loudly turned to Dara. GD shook his head and laughed silently at SeungRi. ‘Poor kid’ he thought. He was fighting a long-time lost battle and he’s not even noticing it. But he agrees with him at one point, though, she really looks pretty.

The whole time they were at the backstage, he never got the chance to talk to her or even get closer. He contained himself with a few to more to many stolen glances. She was with the girls while he was hanging out with the boys. He would sigh every now and then she’s out from his view, everytime someone’s blocking or covering her view or when her back was facing him.. But come to think of it, they don’t really talk that much especially when there’s a big crowd like this surrounding them. Well, except maybe for those few stolen moments when the others were not paying attention that much or when there’s only 2NE1 or YB.

Then he jumped in surprise as he heard a phone beeped. He looked at his phone expectantly as he saw her closing her phone. But to his disappointment, there was no message. Then, at the side of his vision, he saw YB opened his phone and stared at it for a while, a frown creasing his forehead. Then, YB looked up at the direction of Dara and shook his head chuckling. He saw him typing a message. His head turned to Dara as soon as he saw YB’s phone closed. And right on cue, Dara opened hers and read the message, a shock look on her face, then she keyed in a message frantically. Then, YB’s phone beeped again. He heard him chuckle.

“Looks like someone sent the message to the wrong person” YB muttered, but it didn’t escape his ears. Then, this time, he was sure it was his phone that beeped this time.

Dara: R u ok?
GD: Eh?
Dara: U looked tired during the I Don’t Care shooting
GD: Oh! I’m fine. . .
He waited for her response, but it never came.

GD: Ur really pretty even w/o make-up

He glanced up and saw her smile. She glanced at him, too. He smiled back.

Dara: kekeke. . I know . . .Er, should I say the same to u?

He chuckled.

Dara: YB’s being weird

He glanced at YB and found him his usual YB-self.

GD: Y?

But she didn’t response again. And once more, he heard YB’s phone beeped. After a while, he got so frustrated that he started typing keys incoherently and randomly.

“Hyung-nim, what language is that?” someone asked from behind him that made him jump in surprise. He turned around and saw SeungRi peering at his phone interestedly. He snapped his phone close.

“Just because nobody’s bothering to send you a message don’t give you the right to read other people’s message”

“But you’re not even typing a coherent-“

“You know you can’t win over me, so don’t try” he cut-off dismissively.

Then the program started.

It went out smoothly. But he made a few unnoticeable mistakes during the Hello performance, maybe because he was a bit befuddled. Nevertheless, everything else was fine. And everytime the girls changes outfits and accessories, he helped them with what accessories to put on. He was particularly being helpful to CL since he tends to get too sweaty when it comes to Dara, and oh well, a bit touchy too at times. He glanced at her and saw her cap turned to the right side. Finding an excuse to finally talk to her after all those stolen and secret glances they’ve been sharing for the past hours, he went to her and adjusted her cap.

“It looks better on the left side” he said.

“Oh, thanks” she murmured, looking down, and turning red. She was like that after the Hello performance.

“Still can’t get over what happened during the Hello performance?”

“Aniyo”

He chuckled.

“You’ve been red after the Hello performance.

He saw her lips moved and mumbled incoherently. But he caught the words: “noticed everything”

He chuckled again and looked at her gently. “Look at me” he whispered.

She hesitantly looks at him. He smiled. “Expect more to come” he said, and then went away.

Dara stood there, dumbfounded.

‘Expect more what?’ she asked himself.

Then, Last Farewell and How Gee followed. He laughed when he saw CL totally nailed SeungRi down in the dance battle.

Backstage again. . .

Everyone was clapping for the successful show and for their performances. The others were already packing their things up while the others were taking a rest.

He looked for her and saw her sitting on the floor, looking at him too. Then, she suddenly looked down, as if embarrassed of being caught from doing something illegal. He smirked when she glanced at him again. Then, he mouthed: “later”

Later that evening. . .

Dara was finding it hard to sleep. She’s been turning to the left and right for the past hours, but still, she can’t sleep. The Hello performance kept on replaying on her mind and the way GD looked at her behind that cap. But then, she can’t also forget what he did.

-FLASHBACK-

She was more relaxed now than the first time she performed Hello with him, after seeing Bom cheering for her near the stage entrance. She knew what was coming that she was a bit caught in surprise when they did the last act in the performance. She knew that they were going to pretend to kiss, just their cheek touching each other. So, when she saw his expression when he pulled his cap, her insides melted into butter that she looked down a bit and turned her head to the side, his lips touching the side of her nose. The moment his lips touched her nose, she saw a sad smiled appeared on his face, but she thought it was just a trick of light, because he was smiling fully once again. And as the sensation of his lips touching her nose, she felt. . . . . weird and giddy that she can’t help but smile brightly, too, forgetting his weird, sad expression a while ago.

Then, they went offstage.

-END OF FLASHBACK-

Then, she heard her phone ring. She took it and her eyes grew wide as she saw who was calling. She looked at the time then stood up, and went to the bathroom.

“Ya! Why are you calling this late? It’s already morning!”
“It’s your fault”

“How did it become-“

“I mouthed later to you but you ran away or should I say escaped from me-”

“Ya! I didn’t know what you were trying to say with later. How would I know-“

“Don’t sound so mad, I know you haven’t gone to sleep yet”

“How did you know?”

“Your voice don’t sound like fresh from waking up”