Trendsetter

The Hidden Love

“Are you alright? You look pale”

“Sore throat” she answered, clutching her neck with both hands as if she’s suffocating herself. And made some weird gurgling sounds.

YB laughed at her expression, but he saw a glimpse of doubt crossed her eyes for the briefest moment. Then as if what he saw wasn’t enough already, an embarrassing silence passed between them.

“He’s just confused, you know” he muttered.

“Huh? What are you talking about? Confused? Who? Me? I’m not confused. Am I?”

He shook his head. “Ah, when will you grow up, noona?”

“Huh! Look who’s talking! You’re not as tall as TOP either”

YB stared at her in amusement as she laughed at her own lame joke. Pure randomness. Yes, that’s Sandara Park.

“Don’t worry, he’ll wake up soon”

“Eh?” she stared at her blankly.

“You’re so stubborn, really. Anyways, I’d better get going, still got lot of work to do”

“Oh, okay. Thanks for this” she said as she held the cap up, “you shouldn’t have bothered.

“It’s nothing. Your dorm’s on the way anyways. So, I guess I’ll see you around?”

“Yeah, see you around”

She turned and to head towards the dorm when she heard YB calling her.

“You still got my number, right?” he asked.

She frowned, confused of his question. “Of course. Why?”

“Just in case you need someone to talk to” he smiled, then stepped into the elevator as it opened again.

Dara was left there standing, staring at the place he just vacated a while ago. Then, a small smile broke into her face.

“Thank you, Youngbae” she said, then added in a whisper, “my sun”

If only life could be as warm and bright as the sun, maybe she won’t feel the coldness gnawing inside her right now.

If only. . .

------->

For the next days, they were occupied with their own activities. She, with her usual training, rehearsals, demos and a few photoshoots while he was pretty busy himself with both solo and group activities with Bigbang. But they kept in touch of course. It’s something he can’t imagine a day without.

But there were also those times when they would bumped into each other in the office, hallway, recording studio or in the practice room.

“Whoa, Chaerin-ah!” he exclaimed AGAIN, still can’t get over CL’s new ‘do. “You should always wear your hair like that” he added.

CL smiled at him, blushing from the attention as she earned a laugh from Teddy.

“You’re blushing again” Teddy noticed. She went even redder.

Lately, CL’s been, well looking very. . . well, feminine. What’s with the skirts and shorts she’s wearing lately. He then suddenly remembered Dara wearing those kinds of clothes. His initial reaction upon seeing Dara wearing shorts was proud, to be exact. Because at that time, he was glad that she’s trying tovercome her awkwardness of wearing shorts, but after a VERY short while, he didn’t like it. He was not against her wearing shorts, just not in public and in a show where a lot of fanboys’ eyes are on her. It was a good thing he had a “gentle” and “professional” talk with his friend, Yanggaeng, who happened to be 2NE1’s stylist regarding the girls’ wardrobe in performances. He was also glad that Dara loves sporting loose and baggy clothes because according to her, it helps her fell the “hiphop” vibe she wanted. He thought his friend already learned his lesson, but apparently not judging from Dara’s photos in the gnagsta themed photoshoot. Alright maybe she was covering her stomach and all, but still, seeing her skin exposed like that is just. . .he just don’t like the idea of it. Maybe it’s about time to have another talk with his friend.

Maybe one of the reasons she let Dara wear and use some of her clothes and things because he doesn’t want her to appear to girly, too cute and too feminine. In that way, boys won’t mind her that much. But it was a failure. Her beauty and cuteness still stood out, plus her personality. A total package, thus gaining her a lot of fanboys.

“CL!” someone shouted in disbelief.

GD emerged from his thoughts as he looked at the newcomer.

“What happened to you? Are you sick?” the newcomer asked, who happened to be Lee Seungri.

CL wrinkled her nose at the sight of Seungri as if he’s the most disgusting pest there ever is. “No. Why?” she asked.

“Well. . . .” Seungri started in a grave voice, as if something dreadful happened. “You see, you looked like, well, you look like a girl. But I’m not saying you’re ugly but loking at you gives me goosebumps. You look really weird”

And so the bickering started, followed by screaming and shouting, deadly glares, snapping and gritting of teeth, blushing, laughters from the audience. Eventually, the others were able to calm CL down.

“I think I know why the sudden change” Seungri started again after an hour of silnce and cold treatment between him and CL. GD rolled his eyes.

‘here we go again’ GD thought.

“You see, Teddy hyung, “Seungri continued in a VERY loud voice to Teddy who was on the other side of the room, “I bet CL here heard that I’m going to the same university where a member of SNSD will be attending to, which I might add, is really pretty and girly for my type. And I think CL just wants to show me her feminine side because she felt threaten that I might fall for that girl”

Seungri then turned to CL. “Don’t worry, Chaerin-ah, she’s not really my type but I’m very sorry to inform you that I only see you as my sister” he finished in a very sorry and regretful voice.

“LEE SSEUUNNNGGRRRIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” CL bellowed.

Later. . .

He’s overly grateful that it was peaceful nw, since Seungri already left because according to him, a very busy and popular person like him still got some “important appointments” to attend to.

He then let his gaze roam around. Minzy and Bom as usual, was staying close with Gaho. CL was at a corner with Teddy and Yanggaeng while the apple of his eyes was cutely lingering behind Minzy and Bom, probably wanting to prove that she’s not that afraid of Gaho anymore, but there’s no mistaking the hesitation in those eyes. Then, he saw her tok her phone and dialed a number. He saw a gentle look appeared on her face and her voice went all cute, cooing words of encouragement to the person on the other line. It made him smile. He was sure it was her brother. He’d seen it before, how she goes all tender when it comes to her family. She may be the toughst, strongest, dorkiest, the most sarcastic, stubborn and fragile-looking person on the earth, but when it comes to her family, she becomes the gentlest person there ever is. Thinking of that, he can’t help but envy her future children for having her as their mother.

‘She’s the best candidate for it’ he thought.

He heard his phone beeped.

J-ah: R u busy?

---------------->

GD: I heard u watched horror movie the other day?
Dara: Yep! Baby Minkki was so scared. Kekekeke
GD: And u weren’t?
Dara: Brave unnie for maknae. That’s me!
GD: I thought u said ur afraid of things like that? That's y u always beg me to walk u to ur dorm
Dara: I DID NOT BEG!!!
GD: Still... R u trying 2 fool me again?
Dara: the movie was really scary! U should watch it, too! It will giv u nightmares! 
GD: Hmmm... Ur making me think that ur juz pretending 2 b scared and making it as an excuse 2 b with me
Dara: BWAHAHAHAHA!! Ur so funny! Such a dork! Gudnyt!
GD: Ur sleeping already?
Dara: Zzzzz... Ssantokki is noe asleep. . 
GD: Wait! Don't sleep yet. .
GD: I won't tease u anymore
Dara: Eh? Hu said I'm going 2 sleep already? It's still early, u know

He rolled his eyes.

GD: Ur sense of humor's getting wose
Dara: Dara the mascott, that's me!

For some people, the messages would appear nonsense to the point of stupidity, but for him, these are those moments that are mostly glued to his mind and tattoed to his heart, something he needs to hold on to the fact that love does exist. He already shared a few heartaches in his past. In a way, Dara helps him forget those, but for some reason, he should admit that “J” had the greatest impact in his past. And now that she's back again and trying to make up for those lost time before is bringing him some confusion.

He stared at the ceiling, seeing two faces at once. Then, his phone suddenly rang. 'Speaking of the devil' he thought and smiled.

“J-ah!” he greeted, “it's late. Why are you still up?”

Meanwhile. . .

Dara tossed on her bed then looked above her as she remembered Bom's MV. It did touch her, especially the 'you and I together forever' concept. She admits that she's such a er when it comes to romantic things like this. But as she pondered on, the sight of Bom alone on that field at the end of the video caused some unsettlement inside her. She doesn't know why, but it does. She sighed then look at her phone. ..

EMPTY

'What's wrong with him? He asked me not to sleep yet, but looks like he's already sleeping.. Aiishh..' her mind ranted.

The next morning. . .

She blinked for a few times after hearing her phone beep.

YB: Goodmorning, noona!! Did u sleep well?

'Odd' she thought. It's usually GD who greets her first thing in the morning.

YB: Noona!!! Wake up, wake up!! It's a beautiful day 2day!! Don't waste it
Dara: too early. . .want more sleep
YB: hehe.. I'm doing some exercises right now
Dara: want more muscles, huh?
YB: It juz became a habit I can't break
Dara: I won't be surprise if u resign as a performer and become a gym instructor instead
YB: Ah, noona!! Ur so mean 2 me.. poor dongsaeng YB
Dara: Zzzzzzz.... y lady wants to sleep again
YB: Eh?
Dara: :p

Later. . .

She took the stairs by storm.

'Omo omo omo' she thoughtas she skipped the last remaining stairs. She was sweating a bit and breathing heavily when she reached the door of her destination. She closed her eyes for a moment, breathe in then released it slowly as she turned the knob.

“Ya! Sandara Park! You're late!” the trainer greeted.

She smiled sheepishly then showed the trainer her 'peace' sign.

Jina watched Sandara entered the room with a flustered look. She turned her head towards GD when she heard him chuckle. Then, she returned her eyes to Sandara again.

“I'm sorry, I'm sorry” the girl apologized, then bowed to the trainer and to the others. A frown marred her forehead.

“Hey, what's with that frown?” GD asked her.

“That bow is awfully familiar. I'm sure I've seen that before”

“Oh,” GD chuckled again.
She was about to ask him if he recognized the bow, too, but she stopped when her ears caught YB's voice.

“I can't believe you did sleep again, noona. I already told you to wake up”

Dara chuckled. “It's not my fault if you texted me too early for my liking. And besides, I think I'm half-awake and half-asleep when I read your message”

“They're really close, aren't they?” she muttered. She felt GD stiffened beside her, but when she looked at him, he was smiling at her then answered, “yeah, they are”

Then the girls started practicing while they silently watched them. She glanced at YB, then smiled upon seeing the guy watching Dara intently with a smile on her face. She turned her eyes on GD who looked bored

Then Dara, Minzy and CL took a break while Bom remained in the middle, singing.

Minzy sat near where she was while Dara and CL sat near YB. Out of curiosity, she called Dara.

“Can I ask you a favor?”

“Neh” Dara answered, who was standing infront of her and GD.

“Can you do that bow thing of yours again?”

She saw Dara's confused look and glanced at GD for a while as if asking GD's permission. She heard GD chuckled. Then, Dara shrugged and did what was being asked of her.

“The way you bow is awfully familiar” she said.

She turned her head towards Minzy who chuckled.

“It's similar to Jiyong oppa's bow” Minzy answered, then continued, “oppa loves teasing and imitating us. But mostly, he's unconsciously copying Dara unnie's habits. Though unnie also copies oppa sometimes, I still think that most of oppa's habits came from Dara unnie”

“Ah, I'm such an epic trendsetter” Dara added dramatically, which earned her a few good laugh from the others.

“Ah, Minzy-ah, I think it's the other way around” GD disagreed.

“I don't think so” Minzy answered.

“Really? That's interesting” J said earnestly to Minzy.

“Oh, yes, it's true”

“Like I said, I'm a trendsetter” Dara said a bit louder because she was now back to YB and CL's company.

“Don't be too full of yourself” GD sniggered which was answered by Dara with her stuck out to him.

And so, one by one, J acknowledged and observed the similarities between the two. The way they rock back and forth when laughing or how they cover their mouth with folded fingers when laughing;
the same expressions of disbelief; the way they run their fingers through their hair among so many things.

“We're flying off to Japan sometime this week” YB said. GD straightened his back uncomfortably, taking a quick glance at the side.

“Oh, yeah, I heard about that” Dara said, with a hint of sadness in her tone.

“It won't be long, though. And I think we'll be going back and forth here”

“Don't forget my birthday present”

Her birthday! He mentally slapped himself for overlooking that detail.

“Oppa, are you gonna be busy later this evening?” J asked.

“No, not really. Why?”

She gave him a bright smile. “Let's go out or something”