Chapter 8

Suddenly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 8. The Plan

 

“The plan is that you and Yonghwa are going to make his parents believe that Euna is his—”

 

Seohyun blinked with that announcement. Weird things had been happening to her the moment she got into labor. In her obvious confusion, she didn’t even speak or her mind was still processing what she just heard.

 

“You see, Yonghwa here just got an ultimatum from his father that he should find someone or else he would arrange a marriage for him. But our boy here doesn’t want to be tied down. We can just say that the two of you had broken up before knowing that you were pregnant. Then, since Yonghwa doesn’t run away from responsibilities—”

 

Yonghwa coughed but end up laughing. Then he stopped when he got another piercing glare. He could not help but admire his aunt’s talent in storytelling.

 

“He offered to look after you and your baby—“

 

“But what if he forces us to get married?” He crossed his arms on his chest as he stood, “It’s just the same.”

 

“It could happen,” Hyeon Ji shrugged, “but if we tell them that Seohyun doesn’t want to marry an , which is you, of course—”

 

“Yah, gomo!”

 

Seohyun could not help but laugh then bit her lips when the two looked at her. She shook her head, “I’m sorry, please go on…”

 

“Anyway, as I was saying… Seohyun doesn’t want to marry you but you insist to have the baby grow up with a father. And you promised to be a better person and she agreed to see if this relationship could work out. Then, once your parents are convinced that you are indeed a responsible person, they would be off your back— give you everything you want even. Afterwards, you both could just say that the relationship did not work and part ways. Just for now, you need to stay together…”

 

Seohyun was not comfortable. She was not stupid to understand the set up the older woman was talking about but it was perfectly clear to her that it was something she should really consider. Thinking of their situation now, it was indeed a perfect offer just to escape the fear of what lies ahead especially for Euna's future. It was not right, she knew it too but she needed to be selfish for her baby. The whole idea was making the devil and angel debate inside her head but the big problem— she was listening more to the devil.

 

“This is outrageous really…” he muttered almost to himself. Yonghwa could not understand why he was feeling disappointed when he noticed that the woman looked as if she didn’t like what was happening. He too didn’t like it— but she looked more like very much ready to say no with that pensive frown she was wearing.

 

“Jung Yonghwa, are you going to let all your and your friend’s efforts go to waste? You have invested your life and your pride on that company! Don't make another wrong move. Think, too, of the people who work for you, they could lose their jobs.” Hyeon Ji knew she was winning, not only with Yonghwa’s vote but the girl’s as well. Adding another to the mix won’t hurt so she spoke softly, “Besides, your dad might give you the Cruiser as a reward.”

 

It was stupid, but then again, the Cruiser. Yonghwa scolded himself for being so dense.

 

Seohyun's mind was racing while she continued listening to the proposition. She could always say no, right? But something was stopping her— it was her promise to Euna hours ago that she would do all that she could to give her a comfortable life. What these people could offer her was exactly that. Although, she knew that she should not trust these strangers but the older woman's effect on her was quite something. She was so kind and she could tell that the man paid great respect to her that he would even listen to this outrageousness as he put it.

 

The man, on the other hand, made her doubtful. He looked like someone not to be trusted. Like the hours they spent while she was in labor was just only his moment of weakness.

 

“Okay, you have to stay together for five years and—”

 

“Five years? That's too long!” Yonghwa almost fall from his seat while the woman remained silent.

 

“Okay, three years,” Hyeon Ji thought she could let it slip.

 

“Still long...” he shook his head.

 

“Okay two, and that's final!”

 

“One.” He knew he could win that.

 

“Two,” she glowered back at her stubborn nephew.

 

“One please...”

 

Both of them was taken aback when they finally heard her speak.

 

Seohyun was listening to their banter. She knew that it was a closed deal anyway. She didn’t want to complicate things further. She didn’t want to listen any further; she was feeling the weight of the situation on top of her physical exhaustion. So she spoke, “Only one year please... that's all I need to get back to my feet. Besides, I don't want to bother you that long,” she addressed that one for the man who looked intensely at her.

 

“My dear, it's not a bother at all. But don’t you think a year is a bit short? Euna is still a baby, you can’t just leave her to work?”

 

She had a point but Seohyun shook her head, “I am very grateful for everything that you have done for me and my baby— even for this offer. But I just need a year to be able to win back my family’s trust, at least. I have been hiding and keeping this predicament ever since I found out I was pregnant. I don't want to make more mistakes. I will take your offer in exchange for shelter for me and Euna. By a year, I think, I will be strong enough to go back home.”

 

What she said finally made it clear to Hyeon Ji that she did not make the wrong decision. The woman is fairly intelligent and she knows where she stands— exactly someone who could tame someone. “I – we understand.” She smiled and turned to Yonghwa, “Okay, for a year she will stay with you as your girlfriend and after the length of time we have decided on, you will separate because the relationship did not work out. You both can walk away— possibly for good.”

 

Seohyun's chest seemed to tighten with those last words and unconsciously looked his way. Funny, but he was also looking at her and she could not tell if it's only a moment that they held each others' gazes.

 

He turned away when he felt something weird looking at her like that, like those eyes could see through him. Not that she looked scary— not at all but something told him that his nightmare finally came to life, “Can I go home now?”

 

She followed the man with her eyes as he walked out of the door without having to wait for them to say anything. She didn't like that man, she told herself all over again but guilt crept in thinking of the help he just extended to her. What can she do? He suddenly appeared too intimidating for her.

 

“This may be the reason why you two were led to that kind of situation.”

 

The older woman spoke softly when the door closed. Seohyun decided to just listen. Maybe she would understand better.

 

“All his life he tried to get his parents' approval on all his decisions but it seemed that they expect different or more from him. There are things that he does that I too disagree with but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter