Chapter 12

Suddenly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 12. Some Things

 

Yonghwa stared at the farthest end of the cityscape as he reclined deeper on his seat. The afternoon sky played soft cotton-candy pinks and blues that was reflected by the wide window in front of him while the soft music in his office soothed his tired muscles. He did not really have any physical activity that caused him to feel so haggard but the mental stress was hard to handle.

 

What could have happened if he did not come? Yonghwa couldn't erase the way she looked at him the moment he entered the room, it was like all the fear was flushed away from her face. A call from his aunt came when he was about to leave the compounds of the hospital but when he answered and only got muffled voices on the other end of the line, he knew that something was wrong. At first, he was hesitant to go in when he heard the familiar voice of another woman but the daring comments and threats she made were something he could never allow.

 

Ye Rin was a nut-job. She must have followed him the other day for her to know about Seohyun and Euna. He really would have wanted to keep things private for a while but it seemed too impossible. Anyway, things like that was something he could not keep since his family apparently are more than happy and ecstatic to learn about the sudden 'addition' to the Jung clan.

 

And a little daughter at that!

 

Two of his brothers called to congratulate him for a very naughty surprise he pulled. Even more surprising for them was the fact that Seohyun apparently was no longer too fond of him that he got a good jeering out of it. His Si Won hyung though, cursed him but with an evil laugh declaring that he wasn't able to clean his tracks unlike him during his bachelor days.

His family seemed to be all happy with that surprise his aunt threw them and it left him alone to wonder, cuss and feel terrible about it.

 

On second thought, when he saw Euna for the first time, there was something that stirred into him. Like she glowed too bright— they both glowed, and suddenly made him recall those moments that his brother had told him how wonderful he felt when his eldest son was born. But the cynic in Yonghwa brushed him off saying he was too sappy to be feeling that way.

 

Was he being sappy now?

 

All afternoon, there was nothing in his mind but the situation he was in so he decided to hit the bar in the hopes of distracting himself. He went into a different one this time since he wanted to be by himself for a while and not be recognized by other patrons.

 

“It's been a long time since you’ve been out with us...”

 

Because it was his aim to distract himself, Yonghwa managed to pay attention to the strangers around and focused more on the men drinking behind him.

 

“Yeah, I couldn't find time with the baby in the house...”

 

Another voice answered and Yonghwa took another big gulp of beer.

 

“But he is your third child!”

 

Laughter erupted.

 

“But really, my wife and I decided to have him as the last. You know, with the economy these days. Anyway, it's not just with him but with our two kids. They grow up so fast that suddenly we realize they prefer their friends' company than ours so I want to spend more time with them. And babies, they really grow up so fast that I don't want to miss a single minute away from him—”

 

Yonghwa put down his glass and remembered the tiny baby who suddenly became his.

 

“...after all, he's not a baby forever.”

 

Yonghwa took another sip but it got caught in his throat hearing what the man said so casually. It hit home. It hit him so hard he winced. It was probably the alcohol— despite the fact that he hadn’t even finished a full glass, but he suddenly had this urge to see Euna. Apparently, she won’t be a baby forever. Of course he knew that! But the effect of those words shook his world especially the knowledge that she won’t be his baby long enough.

 

Blindingly, he stood and left some bills on the counter.

 

~~~

 

Seohyun fixed her dress and smiled at her satisfied baby. The nurse was right about the milk supply thing and the massage did work like miracle. She grimaced with the sudden thought of what the good old nurse suggested about her showing Yonghwa how to do it.

 

Seohyun shivered and waved her hands like dispelling her own thoughts.

 

Focus on Euna, she told herself.

 

They both had a stressful day and she was just too glad that it was almost over and hopefully nothing more would happen. She knelt and positioned Euna on the bed and watched her sleep. It was a very peaceful every time her baby just snooze that way but it was like a war zone when she would cry.

 

Seohyun laid on her side feeling her own need for a night’s rest. But then her mind brought her back to the scene this morning with that crazy woman who really frightened her to death. She just could not imagine what she would do if Yonghwa did not arrive on time but the thought just had to remind her too of the way he caressed her leg for everyone's satisfaction but not hers. She set the thoughts aside and closed her eyes. It was still early for her to sleep but she should adjust her circadian rhythm with the baby’s.

 

~~~

 

The room was dim when he got in quietly. Seohyun was sleeping so deeply she did not even stir when he bumped into the bed accidentally. It was good since he didn’t want to wake her and especially to deal with her. There was still this kind of air that hovered above them. His thoughts were stopped by that soft sounds coming from the crib. Yonghwa moved closer for a peek and smiled when a wide-eyed tiny person stared back at him. Her limbs were free from the usual blanket they would swaddle her in. She was moving almost by design, her little legs kicking and her little arms waving aimlessly but her eyes were glued to him. Her lips thinned and her brows perked up Yonghwa thought she was going to cry. Instead, there was this sudden jolt that appeared in his chest when Euna smiled.

 

Her little mouth opened wider as if in a big grin while her little hands rubbed on her face. She blinked almost lazily but her smile didn’t falter and the tug tightened in his chest as if she was holding a string wound around his heart. He couldn’t help but smile and rubbed on her tiny arm and like being tickled, Euna blew in a breath with that thin smile she was wearing. She released another small sound as he laughed softly barely understanding their ‘conversation’. It happened for a few minutes more until her face scrunched and without any warning, a shrill cry enveloped the room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter