Chapter 11

Suddenly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 11. Decisions

 

Seohyun was awakened by the soft whimpers of her baby. She sat up and carefully moved to the crib as the little voice was getting louder. She laughed looking at that tiny face all scrunched up, “Aaiooo, why is the baby crying again? What happened? Something upsets you?”

 

Lifting her up, she moved her bawling little girl to the bed then laid beside her. She stared at the empty couch in front of her. Last night when she woke up for Euna, she noticed that man has taken residence on the couch again. It made her wonder why he was there again. She smiled, maybe he didn’t really realize it but he was the good person his aunt was talking about— he was that good man who stayed with her when she really needed someone.

 

The other day when he came with that accusation directed at her, it made her mad— then it broke her heart. How could he even think that way? It was as if she waited for him at that street so she could set him up. She sighed, she couldn’t really blame him. Besides, she agreed to the plan because she needed it for Euna. Honestly, she didn’t have enough money left. Honestly, she had been worried about the coming months.

 

But with all honesty, Seohyun would do everything for her daughter.

 

Perhaps, it was the price to pay. Yonghwa’s accusations— his doubts.

 

Perhaps—

 

The door opened unexpectedly and with a slight wave of her hand, she welcomed Aunt Hyeon Ji who was already wearing a big smile. Seohyun scolded herself for suddenly feeling disappointed— was she really expecting that he would come back?

 

“The nurse saw Yonghwa going out. He was here this early? What did he say?”

 

“Uhm,” Seohyun didn’t meet the older woman’s eyes, “H-he slept here… but we didn’t talk. And I didn’t notice when he left.”

 

“Oh,” Hyeon Ji tried to hide her smile but there was no use for it since Seohyun couldn’t even look at her. “I see… well, maybe he’d be back later.” She shrugged but deep inside she was glad that Yonghwa seemed to have taken time to come back time and again to check on Seohyun and her baby. Her plan was moving smoothly and she couldn’t be any happier. “Anyway, Seohyun, his parents are coming over.”

 

That stopped her midway while shifting her body to the other side, “Uhm... gomo...”

 

“Don't worry,” Hyeon Ji playfully hit Seohyun’s arm when she saw the anxiety on her expression, “I told you before, they are good people...”

 

“That's why I'm more worried and guilty about this...” Seohyun finally said, “They don’t deserve this and I don't think I could really do it. I'm sorry.”

 

Hyeon Ji knew this would happen. It would make her the bad person because it was her idea. And Seohyun, just hearing that coming from her make her even more sure to see this charade through. What would she get from this? Nothing really— but she could already see it. She was doing this for Yonghwa. She was doing this for Seohyun. She was doing this for Euna. She was doing this for her family. She was doing this for the people she love. She could not stay with them forever, the least she could do was to make things better before she goes.

 

She sniffed and shook her head warding off sad thoughts.

 

Taking the younger woman’s hand, she spoke gently with a small smile, “Seohyun, I understand how you feel. You are a good person that’s why you don’t feel good about this. But whatever we do in this life, there will always be consequences. Think about it very hard; weigh your options while we are still at this stage. While the lies are just small. But while you’re thinking, remind yourself who you are doing this for…”

 

Seohyun’s eyes diverted back on the baby who had fallen asleep in her arms. She could feel the tears b from her eyes. She couldn’t even form the words as a reply until Aunt Hyeon Ji squeezed her hand.

 

“And I…” she smiled, “I’m doing this for Yonghwa because I love him. I want what is good for him. And you, you, will be good for him.” She said with conviction and it didn’t escape to her attention how Seohyun winced. Hyeon Ji continued, “Seohyun, I know you are still battling over this. His parents will come here and talk to you because they don't want you to leave Yonghwa. It's no longer a question of whether Euna’s father is him or not, what is important is for him to have you— both of you. I am not saying that you fall in love with him or anything but just stay with him for a year until he learns how important it is to have someone to look after and to care for, until he learns what responsibility really means. Seohyun, I am begging you... please...”

 

That declaration made her chest hurt and the way that the older woman looked was also destroying every bit of her resolve. She swallowed, whether Euna was his or not— it played in her mind and she could no longer stop herself and ask, “Did... did you tell them?”

 

“No... it is still as planned,” Hyeon Ji dabbed her eyes, “I'm here to help you out and to make sure that you don’t make a wrong choice. Yonghwa is a good person but he is hiding it inside his shell and seeing him around you, knowing what he did for you, for Euna, makes me think that he is slowly getting out of it. He needs Euna the way Euna needs him. He needs you both the way you need him, so please...”

 

“But I—” she stopped then turned when the door opened once again but it was not who they were expecting.

 

“So it's you?”

 

A woman wearing a short black tube dress almost exposing every single cell in her body barged into the room and banging the door behind her. Seohyun looked perplexed that she hurriedly adjusted her clothes and tucked Euna closer to her body.

 

“I don't get it, Yonghwa dumped me...” she crossed her arms on her chest, “For you?”

 

Those words and that finger directed to her made Seohyun sat up straighter. Her built-in defense system was in high alert and her only thoughts were on her baby. If this was Yonghwa’s girlfriend, or one of his, she won’t back down if she threatened Euna in any way. She raised a brow ready to retaliate when Aunt Hyeon Ji smiled and stood.

 

“Finally, I have this privilege of meeting you... well, my dear...” Hyeon Ji positioned herself by the foot of the bed blocking the woman that direct view of Seohyun and Euna. “It seemed like Yonghwa has really made a choice and, I must say, he made the right one...” Her gentle smile was in deep contrast to the biting tone of her voice. The woman looked shaken for a moment but she continued, “With all due respect, Ye Rin-ssi. It would be better for you to leave.”

 

“No! I'm not leaving unless this woman tells the truth—”

 

“What's going on here?” Sung Gwang said, his hand was still holding on to the knob until his wife gently pushed him inside then closed the door.

 

“Ye Rin, what are you doing here?” Eun Suk asked. Her husband strode across the room and stood beside his sister obviously covering Seohyun.

 

“Imo, that woman,” Ye Rin smiled nervously as she spoke softly in an attempt to gain herself an ally, “She is lying!”

 

“How did you know that she is lying?” Hyeon Ji said again, “Do you even know her?”

 

“I know every girl that Yonghwa has dated and is dating and she is not one of them!”

 

The woman sounded desperate and her declaration made Seohyun tensed up for she was telling the truth. If his parents believed her then it would be the end for her and Euna and she could not do anything but to tell them the truth. Although she was still hesitant with pursuing the plan, to be in this situation was already nerve-wracking.

 

“Are you Yonghwa's stalker?” Hyeon Ji jeered when her brother and his wife looked at each other as if taking note of what she just said. She had to protect Seohyun and Euna at all cost since she put them in this situation.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter