Chapter 1

Suddenly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 1. The Bachelor and the Nomad

 

The sharp scent of his perfume invaded the whole bedroom and the rock music that has been in contrast with the silence of the twilight accompanied him while he prepared himself for another phase of his day. He just arrived from one hectic day at the office and right away got ready for a scheduled family dinner and hoped to have a good night at the bar right after.

 

It has become a ritual for his parents to gather all of them once a week— any day and any time they feel like gathering their sons and their respective families. It was compulsory. It was one of the rules that must be followed by hook or by crook. It was the time where they could catch up with each other’s' lives and update their parents about everything.

 

And, of course, it was the time when his parents— particularly his father, to 'educate' him about the meaning of life. Not that he was complaining, but who would want to always be grilled in front of his brothers, sisters-in-law, nephews and aunt. The worst thing to happen is to be called alone in his library—that's the worst scenario and that's what he has been avoiding.

 

But that night he has a hunch.

 

Buttoning his light blue shirt, he glanced over the clock hoping he would make it right on time since he doesn't want to catch much attention to himself especially now that he felt like walking on a wire. He exhaled louder than he should and did the remaining sleeve buttons. The moment he woke up that morning and getting a call from his mom to inform him about the dinner he felt different— that the day seemed to be a very special one.

 

He almost laughed at that one.

 

How could it be special when he was about to be put in the hot seat again? Although his aunt assured him that it was just another “dinner night” he could not find himself to relax. He was even thinking that his restlessness was about something else, something else that would happen that day.

 

He finally laughed.

 

Who was he kidding? He felt like a little boy again scared to death because he broke a vase and his dad would be home soon and he would find out and he would get a good spanking. But he was no longer that little boy and he surely did not broke a vase— hearts maybe, lots.

 

The laugh finally became louder.

 

He shook his head because he felt crazy laughing to himself all alone in his house. It must be the loud music that was causing his heart to beat wilder than normal so he decided to turn it off and embrace the silence around him. His place was a haven of silence for him and he was so thankful to have that for himself. There were times when his parents would set up dinner or lunch on one of their son's places but he never allowed any gathering at his lake house. It was a sacred place that he never wanted many people to go there or even hold a party. Of course, he allowed visits once in a while but never a gathering.

 

His house was private— all for himself.

 

Once a woman whom he dated for only a night followed him home and it really irritated him that he had to literally drag her out even though she just stepped into his yard. He could play around with as many girls as he wanted outside but never in this house and he could not imagine anybody to be living with him there. Although, a maid came thrice a week to make sure the place was clean and his aunt would also drop by once in a while to help, he does not allow other frequent visitors.

 

The ringing diverted his thoughts so he moved closer to the bed where he threw his phone a while ago and took a peek on who was calling. It was his mother but he was not in the mood to pick it up instead he slung the gray sport jacket that was lying beside his handphone and checked himself on the mirror for the last time.

 

He smiled on what he saw.

 

Jung Yonghwa.

 

A budding architect who put up his own construction firm with his bestfriend. Although both of them were considered to be neophytes in the field but they were starting to make a name for themselves amongst the competition from the top firms in the country. They were targeting foreign investors who are putting up businesses all over Korea so most of the time they both travel separately to different countries to close a deal. So far they were fifty percent successful. But it can never be enough especially for him who was brought up by the country's premier lawyer.

 

His father was a retired lawyer who also put up his own law firm at a very same age as he was and started from scratch. Now, his firm was being run by his brothers who followed their father's footsteps, unlike him.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter