Chapter 56

Suddenly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 56. Hangover

 

She was a bit disappointed that she couldn’t even attempt to convince him to stay at his parents’ for at least another day. Aunt Hyeonji, as well as his parents seemed really happy that they were there and Sooyoung even decided to stay with her sons because of them. So when he picked them up from work that afternoon looking tired and not in the mood to argue with her, Seohyun just decided to follow him.

 

The only time they talked was in the car when Euna started crying in the backseat the moment she woke up from her nap. It seemed that she realized that they were no longer in the big house with many people. They stopped on the side of the road for her to feed Euna and to calm her.

 

When they reached the house, the baby was grumpy again that no matter how Yonghwa tried to coax a smile from her, she would just stare blankly at him. That night, too, Seohyun opted not to have dinner since she had a big mid-afternoon snack at his parents’ so he ate alone.

 

Thus, it was practically the whole day that she didn’t have a proper conversation with him. That and the fact that they had something hanging between them that Seohyun decided to pay him a visit in his office downstairs. While she was preparing his coffee, she wondered to herself how Yonghwa could manage to have caffeine in his system right before bed.

 

She sighed hoping she wouldn’t get another shrug off from him and that she would at least have a clue of the sudden change that happened that morning. When she stepped inside the room with a hot mug of coffee, Yonghwa was on his small bar pouring himself a drink. Seohyun frowned but decided it was not the time to disagree with him so she spoke instead as if announcing her entry, “Having a nightcap? I thought you’d have your coffee…”

 

The smile he gave her was small as she placed the mug and he replied, “I just suddenly wanted a taste…”

 

Seohyun was still feeling a bit awkward as she moved to the couch. She rested on the armchair thinking that once he wouldn’t say anything more, then it would be easier to slip out of the room. Despite feeling that, Seohyun decided that she needed to know what was in his mind— or at least know that it was nothing about her and Euna.

 

“Do you want one?”

 

Seohyun heard him ask and realized that she zone out for a second. She smiled shaking her head, “I don’t drink.”

 

“Ever?” Yonghwa asked again as he rounded his desk and leaned on it cradling his glass on his hand.

 

“Socially…” she replied awkwardly but glad that he started this conversation. This was so much better than none.

 

“You don’t like it?” He inquired with that small playful grin.

 

“I do like drinking wine…” Seohyun replied just to keep the conversation going.

 

“I have a few good bottles.” He titled his head towards the direction outside where his bigger bar was located, “It’s okay for you to drink, right?”

 

“Uh-huh,” she nodded thinking that she was no longer expressing her milk and her baby was solely dependent on formula. It still hurt her to think about that but she shoved the thoughts aside and shrugged, “But I rather not.”

 

Yonghwa gave a small chuckle while staring at the swirling liquid inside, “Have you tried spirits? They’re pretty strong…”

 

She shook her head, “I’m pretty bad at drinking… get too drunk.”

 

“Well, I should have expected that answer…” he frowned but grinned when she laughed.

 

Seohyun didn’t take her time but replied right away, “The last time I took in something strong, I did pretty much a mess of myself.”

 

“Really? That’s a good story…” Yonghwa retorted obviously curious at that so he cajoled her to tell him.

 

She laughed and shook her head, “I rather not….”

 

Talks like these would usually give him some sense of connection to her past so he never back out of it. Yonghwa asked especially noticing the way she unconsciously rub her arm, “Why not?” 

 

“Because it’s stupid…” she shrugged trying to sound nonchalant about it but she could feel that her heart started pumping blood a little faster inside her.

 

“Oh come on, you don’t have to be shy about it,” he grinned, “We all did pretty stupid things in our lives.”

 

Seohyun swallowed and gave him the only smile she could manage and replied, “I did something major though.” Her voice almost faded but she managed to say it softly, “I had Euna…”

 

The look on his face suggested how dumbstruck it left him. His hand hang midway and after a few seconds, he seemed to realize what he was about to do and so he took a small sip from his glass. After that, the smile he gave her was small and almost patronizing, “We always make choices, you know. Having Euna was a choice too.”

 

She found herself smiling at that. It was a very thoughtful thing to hear considering her situation before so she nodded, “Yes, it was.”

 

“The best one,” he grinned and raised his glass towards her and took one more sip.

 

 “The best…” She nodded as she watched him enjoy his drink. Seohyun thought that it was good opening up to him gradually. She didn’t want to dump everything abruptly or find herself in a situation similar to that one with Aunt Hyeonji. Perhaps, she could tell him more as days go by. But for now, maybe that was enough so she distracted her thoughts away by commenting, “I don’t like the taste of beer but the burning sensation I get in my throat is quiet fascinating.”

 

“Whiskey has the same effect,” he nodded towards her.

 

“I haven’t tried that one yet,” she replied after noticing that still confused look he was wearing.  All of a sudden, a thought hovered in her head.

 

“Want to try now?”

 

His question was like a sign she didn’t even ask for. She had been thinking of this— she wanted the moment to be special not only for her but for him as well. There were so many times she just wanted to get lost in the moment and that very kiss. Unconsciously, she wet her lips and when she realized what she was doing, she bit her lip then let it go.

 

The way he was looking at her now was a mixture of curiosity and arousal. She couldn’t help but feel her lips curving slightly at the thought that she could definitely turn him on even at this slightest, almost unplanned provocation. She walked closer to him as he took the glass closer to his lips once more but his eyes never left her.

 

Seohyun stopped just right in front of him as the glass left his mouth. If she would take a deep breath, the tips of her chest would definitely touch his. He raised a brow at her with that usual devilish smirk he would always give her when he would be teasing her.  When he didn’t say or do anything more than to gaze at her, Seohyun touched his hand that was gripping the glass and held out the other until he loosened his grip on it. She took the glass from him and she knew he was expecting to take a sip but instead, she pushed her arm on his side putting the glass down on the desk behind him.

 

Her heart was beating so loud but she ignored it all and focused on him. The way his eyes shifted from her eyes to her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter