Chapter 40

Suddenly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 40. Illusions and Realities

 

Yonghwa stared at himself on the mirror.

 

Minutes ago, she was standing here doing the same. She was beautiful— serenely beautiful, if that word could even describe beauty. He wasn’t lying when he said that she could stand in front of him and she would still be the most beautiful. Indeed, he could only imagine and yes, she would even be more beautiful without the trappings. Although she opted for a lighter makeup, Yonghwa wouldn’t have it any other way. Seohyun was beautiful even if she just woke up.

 

He smiled at the thought.

 

The red dress spoke of her more. The intensity of her character against the subtlety of her beauty.

 

But then again, it caught him off-guard seeing her in that dress— that red dress.

 

Somehow, it brought him back to his little excursion in Japan. He had forgotten that night, mostly because Seohyun and Euna came into his life.

 

But now, seeing Seohyun in that dress stirred something in him.

 

That mysterious woman.

 

He shut his eyes feeling guilty over the thought of thinking about another woman when Seohyun was in the other room. He sighed. There was a purpose why he put that woman away from his thoughts and he shouldn’t start thinking of her now.

 

Especially, remembering her in Seohyun.

 

Was that why he unconsciously bought that red dress for her?

 

It was wrong.

 

He impatiently brushed his hands on his face. Yonghwa had never faced this situation of feeling guilty and unfaithful to a woman. Whatever relationship he has with Seohyun, it was still unfair to have another woman in his thoughts. It was just wrong.

 

But for now, he decided to put those thoughts aside.

 

With that, he put on his black sports jacket and walked back in the bedroom. Yonghwa found her sitting on the bed and it didn’t help seeing her there waiting for him. She looked up at him with a small smile that only caused his chest to tighten.

 

That red dress— somehow he did want to rip it off her, for a different reason.

 

He didn’t expect he’d be thinking about someone else.

 

“W-What?”

 

It was only when she spoke in a small voice with that little frown that he was shaken back to reality. The thoughts that suddenly came to him left him tongue-tied. This should be the moment he could use a good tease especially since she looked unsure.

 

Thankfully, she broke his uncertainty by handing him a small paper bag. He just looked at it as if still confused until she told him to just see what was inside. For a moment, he thought that it was for him but he realized that he asked her to find a gift for Jonghyun. He pulled out the package inside and found a bronze desk clock that was mounted on a T-square. Upon closer inspection, he realized that it was an antique piece and definitely a good find, “It’s beautiful.”

 

“I found it at Aunt Hyeon Ji’s website. Do you think he will like it?”

 

“Definitely…” Yonghwa murmured as she took it back, carefully rewrapping then placing it back in the paper bag.  When she shifted her gaze back at him he gave her a fake frown, “How come you never give me anything like that?”

 

Seohyun laughed softly, “Is it your birthday?”

 

“No…” he chuckled watching her stand and fix the hem of her dress.

 

Seohyun walked and patted him on the shoulder as she passed him by, “Exactly what I thought.”

 

Yonghwa only shook his head in amusement following behind her.

 

~~~~

 

There was something about the silence as he drove to the office where the party was being held. It started that very first moment he saw her in this dress. She noticed that when he walked in the room carrying Euna, he had been quiet and only looked at her as if trying to figure something out. It worried her somehow despite the fact that he complimented her repeatedly afterwards.

 

And then here was this silence.

 

Her heart couldn’t stop drumming loud inside her she was afraid he’d hear it. She swallowed, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear but before she could drop her hand back on her lap, he caught it and held it as he drove.


“What’s wrong?” She managed to ask but in reality she was afraid of the answer. Yonghwa looked at her for a second then back on the road. The car was almost dark but she could see the small smile he was wearing as he shook his head.

 

“Nothing’s wrong, Seohyun-ssi,” he replied while giving her hand a small squeeze, “Let me just hold your hand.”

 

“You know that it’s dangerous, right?” She muttered but deep inside she was relieved and liking the feel of his cold, soft hand on hers.

 

“I know, that’s why I’m doing it,” he gave her a small wink.

 

Seohyun rolled her eyes and grumbled, “Men and your love for danger.”

 

He laughed biting back a heady reply and drawled instead, “I just want to touch you, Seohyun-ssi.”

 

“You know I cringe whenever you call me that…” and cringed hearing he wanted to touch her. But cringe in an oh-so different way.

 

Quite honestly, she tingled more than cringe.

 

“Yeah, I know,” he turned to her for a second with that familiar cockiness before adding, “Because it turns you on…”

 

She groaned and pulled her hand back while he laughed out loud.

 

“Am I right, Seohyun-ssi?” Yonghwa drawled again.

 

Yes! It turned her on and she wanted to scream that on his ear but she cried instead out of frustration, “Stop it! Turn the car, I’m going home.”

 

He laughed then spoke gently, “Arasso… I’ll stop teasing.”

 

To her surprise though, Yonghwa reached out and offered to take her hand once more without saying a word. Seohyun closed her eyes as she entwined her fingers through his.

 

That was how the rest of the ride went— silence and their hands clasped together.

 

They arrived at the firm almost at the same time as the celebrant and Seohyun was thankful for it because they didn’t really get that much attention— she didn’t really. Or so she thought, well since she came with Yonghwa and by now, most people working for them knew there was someone special in his life lately.

 

And that was basically her.

 

But then, things got more comfortable. The party was held at the firm’s showroom so most of the attendees were employees and only a handful of Jonghyun’s closest friends. She was thankful that Yonghwa didn’t leave her side even for a second and introduced her to everybody but she was yet to meet the host. She had this nagging feeling that he was putting off the introduction and she couldn’t really understand why.

 

While they were on one cor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter