Chapter 123

Suddenly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Chapter 123. Her Perfect Moment     “Remember, just nod to whatever he will say. I will talk to him later.”    He heard his mother whisper softly behind him as they stopped in front of his father’s hospital room. Nodding, Yonghwa opened the door quietly and found the old man seated on his bed with two nurses checking his vitals. After a few minutes of his mother’s inquiry, they left the room and he chose to seat on the bed near his father’s feet.   “How are you feeling?” Yonghwa asked in a friendly attempt to start this conversation hoping that he was able to think rationally after his initial shock of learning the truth.   His father only grunted then nodded with a wince when his wife scolded him softly while she sat beside him. “I’m fine,” he said gruffly.   “Good,” he nodded then smiled, “Perhaps I can bring Euna next time to cheer you up.” Yonghwa knew it was a long shot but he had to take it and sadly for him, it was met with another groan.   “Yonghwa,” his face turned grimmer as focused his eyes on him, “Tell us again how you met Seo Joohyun.”   “Why? Is that important?” He asked with a frown but saw his mother’s disapproving look so he shook his head and got on with their well-worn half-lie he already told her before leaving his office. Afterwards, he added with utmost care on his tone and expression not to make his father even more suspicious and angry, “Umma told me everything— about the arrangement. I want to assure you that it was me who initiated the meeting. Seohyun was with her friends partying for her last week in Japan and I seduc— urged her to go with me and she pretty much had too much to drink that night.”   After a big sigh, he went on, “So did I but I tried to woo her but she had been so adamant from the very beginning. Until she didn’t have any choice when she found out she was pregnant. She didn’t want her parents to know since she was fearing her father might decide to have the baby aborted.”   His Appa groaned and his mother gasped softly throwing him a sympathetic look.   Yonghwa shook his head, they needed to hear that despite how horrible it sounded and how much he hated just thinking about it because that was what Seohyun told him. “She knew her parents were looking for someone suitable for her to marry and they arranged dates for her in the past but she didn’t like what they were doing. She was going to the US to stay with her brother and finish her post grad studies there so she was far enough from her Appa’s grip… until, well, until she got pregnant.”   “And she came here instead,” he supplied then sighed almost thoughtfully, “Well then, your decision not to marry has now proven to be a good choice.”   Yonghwa felt his muscles tensed then he asked in a tight voice meeting his father’s stare squarely, “What do you mean by that?”   “It’s for everybody’s good,” he replied almost in a murmur looking away, “We cannot get mixed up with her family.”   “We are already mixed up,” he found himself standing  and taking a step away from his bed as he spoke, “Euna is my daughter and… I love Seo Joohyun.”   His gaze passed his mother’s and he could tell that small smile she had on.   Until his father spoke again.   “That cannot be helped…” he shook his head, sliding slowly to lie on the bed, “But you cannot marry her. We have to find you a suitable woman.”   He grimaced, “Suitable woman?”   “Now, now… you have to rest,” Mihyun finally spoke looking pointedly at her husband while pulling his blanket up to his chest. Then, she turned to her son with an encouraging smile— almost with pride “And you, my son, have a company to run, don’t you?”   Yonghwa could only nod and sigh before walking away and finally leaving the hospital. Looking at the time, he took a deep breath realizing that Seohyun could be in the office and he couldn’t just see her this moment— which was what he was aching to do. In the end, he decided to go back to work and just drop by at the end of the day.   And that he did.   But Seohyun wasn’t home yet and he took the time playing with Euna who was just as happy to see him. Not to mention Mrs. Kim who stealthily mentioned how glad she was whenever he would visit since she could go home much earlier. The baby seemed too ecstatic though, getting him to chase her all over the living room and the kitchen area. Yonghwa tried to put her in the walker but she only wailed so loud like she was in pain and the moment he put her back on the floor, she would start crawling around and giggling like nothing happened.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter