Chapter 18

Suddenly
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 18. Some Necessary Evil

 

As she came closer to her apartment, the rustling was getting closer and she frowned when she got a good glimpse of the room. Boxes were sprawled on the limited space of her floor. Euna’s neatly folded clothes were positioned on the edge of her bed as if ready to be sequestered in one of those boxes. Although she barely owned anything, what little she had seemed to have made it easier for these two adults to pack.

 

“What’s happening here?” She finally asked when the two remained oblivious of her presence. Instead of answering, Mrs. Choi wore that tight-lipped smile and Yonghwa rushed to her side and gently took the groceries from her hands.

 

“Can I talk to you for a minute?’ He asked when he met her accusing glare.

 

“Yeah, just be sure that I would be convinced by what’s with all of these packing of my things!” She barked back rashly.

 

Yonghwa led her outside closing the door behind them. He sat on that wooden bench and noticed how the wind picked up causing the leaves on her potted plant to whiz about. He sighed when she remained standing in front of him with her arms crossed on her chest. “I know you won’t like this,” he started calmly recognizing that look of awareness as to what was really happening. Although, he could tell her one of the sanest reasons he could think of—which would be the lives of the people working in the company, Yonghwa stopped himself and admitted the most foolish of them all, “My parents want you in my house… in my life…”

 

“And so?” Seohyun remained indignant snapping at him just to be able to release the sudden anger that built up inside her. “First, I allowed you to be here with the thought that you just wanted to see my baby but not this. Secondly, give me a good reason why I should go with you. We agreed already that we will not go through with the plan. Change of heart? Did your parents warn to disown you and you are just afraid not to get anything from them?”

 

That hit home and a part of him wanted her to see it that way. He didn’t want other people to hear the causes he’d fight for, he want them to see through him. Like the way he had been trying to show his parents— trying but obviously failing.

 

But he was used to that.

 

He smirked much to her annoyance. For someone whom he reckoned to be smart enough, she still didn’t look at the other reasons why he was doing this. It was disappointing and it only fueled him to be greedy and give her the benefit of believing how lowly he was. Yonghwa stood, “Need I remind you that you owe me a lot?”

 

Seohyun opened and closed it again. He was right and as far as she could remember, she even asked him what she could do to repay him.

 

She simply hated that devilish grin he was giving her.

 

“Whatever my reasons are, you owe me and you need to pay that debt,” he moved closer, finally loving her surrendered expression. He took some strands of hair that was dancing on the sides of her face and tucked them gently behind her ear then whispered, “Wouldn’t you, Seohyun?”

 

She shivered from that small deliberate touch. She closed her eyes trying to process something just to respond, “But…” Seohyun took a quick step backwards avoiding his lips that were on the verge of landing on her earlobe by how close he was, “I—“

 

“I’ll take you to court.” Yonghwa whispered and noticed the way she froze then added, “Sole custody of Euna.”

 

“What?!” Her eyes widened as she pushed him away, “Are you crazy?! She’s not even your daughter!”

 

“On legal records she is,” Yonghwa shrugged.

 

Her mind was racing. Her heart was beating too loud it would be a surprise that he couldn’t hear it. Then she replied almost unthinkingly, “I could request for a paternity test.”

 

“My family has the power and money to flip things to my favor,” he replied. The desperation on her expression was killing him but he couldn’t just back down now, “You can’t raise Euna in this condition.”

 

“Is this a blackmail?” Seohyun countered and despite the fear, she couldn’t just lose. The thought of her baby made her weak and this threat was killing her that she could feel the tears slowly forming in her eyes.

 

“If that’s what it takes for me to have you—” he doubled down when he realized what he said, “To have you and Euna.”

 

“You’re such an !” She cried finally as her fists landed on his body.

 

There was this tightness in his chest the moment he saw her tears. And he easily accepted the jab she threw. He whispered softly, “I’ve been called worse than that.”

 

She cried even louder especially when he caught her wrists and he just allowed her fists to rest on his chest. “I hate you…” Seohyun murmured.

 

“And you should.” A smiled formed on his lips not really understanding but his arms just pulled her on him. His hands slid on her back as she cried against him. This unknown rush of emotion flowed through him and he smiled at the crying woman in his arms, “I’m sorry… you know I didn’t mean any of that…”

 

Seohyun nodded because she did.

 

At first, she thought that he was serious. The initial fear just crept through her until he gave her that single smile and she knew that it was just one of his stupid teasing. She was so scared that she just sagged on his arms. “You’re cruel…” she sniffed.

 

“I know, and I’m sorry…” Yonghwa guided her slowly on the bed and they sat there for a moment. When her tears were reduced to small sniffs, he sighed, “Come on, Seohyun… please, for just a year. For Euna.”

 

For Euna.

 

 She pinched her eyes shut for a second hating that he could easily use her daughter as a leverage against her. She turned to him and landed another blow on his arm, “Don’t you ever scare me like that— ever again!”

 

“I’m sorry…” he smiled guiltily to himself and hunched down. Yonghwa took a deep sigh, “You know I won’t do that.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter