= 70 =

I Can't Stay But Please, Love Me

"KCON's Highlight: Interview With Blogger HDashC"

It's been years since the Korean Hiphop scene has started to take over the mainstream music industry, even taking it worldwide. But people have been complaining that information from these artists were not fully featured on major webzines. But recently, with the help of independent webzines and bloggers, the information have been circulated more than before. And one of the most notable bloggers dedicated to the Korean Hiphop scene is HDashC, a Korean-Filipino blogger a lot of fans must know of.

HDashC, or Hana Carolette Kim, is a 94-liner who blogs at hdashc.wordpress.com, a site dedicated to the Korean hiphop and indie scene. She is also a correspondent at the leading hiphop webzine in Korea, Hiphopplaya. Her main work consists of sharing information about new song releases, stand on some issues and introducing the readers to various artists and their work. For 2 years now, she has been touring the world with known Korean hiphop artists, covering their shows. That AOMG show in Canada? She was there. That Illionaire show at Peru? She was definitely there. That recent Show Me The Money concert in Japan? She covered all the ground.

She was invited at the annual KCON and became a host alongside KPOP dance vixen, Aimee Lucas and model, Irene Kim.

Other than being a blogger, Hana has also started a crew of bloggers from all around the world, supporting each other. Some of the notable blogs in her crew is asianrapworld.com and realtalkkhh.com. She is also a member of a Korean underground crew 94L which consists of artists and people all born in 1994. Some of their noted members are rappers Supreme Boi, Marvel J, Sik-K, One and the producer team, GroovyRoom. She is also rumored to be AOMG's Gray's girlfriend.

KCON: Is it your first time at KCON?

HDashC: Yes! And being a host with Aimee and Irene is so overwhelming. We also have KCON in the Philippines but it's different here. There, the KPOP community is more like a family and even though there aren't visiting idols, the event is still so fun.

KCON: What made you decide to be a blogger?

HDashC: Writing has always been my passion. But I never got to write the things I love. So while doing school and work, I decided on being a blogger just to have a way to let my ideas out. It eventually became everything to me and I became more serious with the work.

KCON: What does it feel like to be now known not just because you're a blogger but for being an icon?

HDashC: It feels great that I'm able to do what I love and then being appreciated for it. I never dreamed to be famous. I just wanted people to learn more about the scene that I support. It sometimes overwhelms me but I still try and pray to keep my feet grounded.

KCON: How did the international blogging crew came to be?

HDashC: First, we call ourselves TopBrains. It all started as a joke because back then there were only 4 independent bloggers on Korean hiphop and we were all friends. We wanted to meet up some day. So when I went to London to cover Rockbottom's first concert there, we met up, posted a photo on Instagram, giving ourselves a name. Until we invited our other blogger friends to be part of it. One of our members is actually one of Every Single Day's member's wife. They're an indie band in Korea.

KCON: And you're able to juggle this with you being in 94L?

HDashC: 94L is different. We do music. I mean, they do (laughs). Since there aren't much 94-liner artists active underground, we decided to set it all up. Supreme Boi and the others do the dirty work like producing and performing. I sang for 3 songs but with my work, I'm unable to always be there in Korea to support them during shows.

KCON: What does it feel like to be traveling the world with such artists and doing reviews about it?

HDashC: It actually feels amazing! I never thought I would be able to do it. As the Korean Hiphop scene has been slowly getting itself known internationally, it was just relevant that we also share to the people back in Korea how the shows abroad went, and also to those from other countries. It's just a way for me to help everyone get to know what these artists could offer.

KCON: We all know that you have become close to a lot of artists already. Who are you closest to?

HDashC: I'm closest to Young Lion, Debi, Han Seungjae and Keith Ape. I consider them my bestfriends. I also am close to Vasco, Simon D, Paloalto and Fana. They're like my fathers whenever I'm in Korea, always looking out for me. But I have so much more friends back there.

KCON: Is it true that you are Gray's girlfriend?

HDashC: (laughs) I don't even know why people still say it's a rumor. Gray announced it through Instagram last year that I am his girlfriend.

KCON: Is it hard maintaining a relationship with a popular artist in Korea and being a blogger?

HDashC: Honestly, yes. But if the two of you just talk about it openly, nothing is impossible. And besides, we have a lot of ways to bridge gaps between distance now, like SNS and video calls. Distance and time shouldn't be a hindrance to love. It should be a way for you to really rely on your feelings and trust. Wow. I sound like a love specialist (laughs).

KCON: Has there been any bias writing from you towards some artists knowing that you are close to some?

HDashC: Even if I didn't meet these people, being biased will always be an issue since I have favorites. Everyone does. But as much as possible, especially if you read my entries, I try my best to write objectively. I even once wrote about how hated J'Kyun's last solo release despite me loving him and Lucky J. If I can't be objective, I just won't write anything about it.

KCON: Will you be writing about KCON on your blog?

HDashC: Definitely! It was an amazing experience to be here and to be hosting. And since you guys invited Geeks and Mad Clown, I have something to highlight on (laughs).

KCON: We hope to see you at the next KCON.

HDashC: Of course! Just invite me and I'll put it on my schedule. Thank you!