ix

Keep Shining My Star

 

All he remember were he was drunk, seriously not in good state and driving so fast.
And the stars.
That's all.

 


"Yonghwa, thank God you are awake now!" He knew the voice was coming from Woobin. "Thank goodness you're okay." He sighed in relief.


"Japan.." Yonghwa whispered.


Woobin smirked. "Who cares about Japan now?" He pushed the button, signaling the nurse.


"IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT JAPAN, YOU SHOULD GIVE YOUR CENTER POSITION TO SOMEONE." A loud voice displayed on Yonghwa's room. "You don't have a permit to go here, Kim."

 

Kim Woobin bowed to Yonghwa's Dad. "I-I'm sorry Sir.. I just wanted Yonghwa to feel a bit better."


"Who said you have the position to give this stupid a chance to feel better? He just lose everything." He shouted. "Get lost now, Kim."

 

Woobin looked at Yonghwa and waved his hand. "See you."


He let off a small nod.

 


"Drunk driving. Good." His Dad laughed. "Good for nothing Jung Yonghwa."


"I'm sorry." He whispered.


"You just lost what I've done for you. You lose everything I gave you." He kicked the chair. "You don't have the ticket for the national team. You injured your knee because of that accident."


"Injured?" He asked.


"You made yourself this way. I'm done with you." His Dad said coldly. "I hate people letting me down. You are the fourth person." He stared at his son.

 

"Dad, tell me none of your words are true. Woobin is here, we can go to Japan immediately." He begged. "What do you mean I can't play?" He laughed awkwardly.

 


He just heard the tick of the closed door. His Dad left him. As soon as his Dad left, he heard his door opening.


"I didn't actually left." Woobin grinned. "Because I think you need someone to explain the whole thing." He sat beside me.


"What do you mean?" He asked in curiosity. "Let get out of here and fly to Japan."

 

Woobin held his arm. "I just gave my position to the other center." He grinned, again. "I'm going here, to be with you."

 

"What the hell are you talking about? You can't just take your position that easily." He roared.


"YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PLAY AS OF THIS MOMENT, YONGHWA." He spelled out so clear. "Accident made your knees crushed."

 

"What the are you saying, Kim Woobin?" He shouted.


"Don't tell me to stop this , because you're the one recklessly did it." His tone became serious. "Did you even know you bumped into a public vehicle that day? Thank goodness no deaths recorded."

 

"Tell me, I can't play anymore?" He stared at Woobin.


"You won't be able to play. But not forever. Therapy can cure you." He sighed. "That's going to be tough."


"Can I run?"


"Maybe next month." He said lowly.

 

"Good for nothing Jung Yonghwa." He said to himself. "I just lose what I treasured the most."


"But you can regain it back, Yonghwa." He tapped his shoulder. "Trust yourself."

 

"Can you leave me now?" He asked Woobin. "I'm sleepy."

 

"You have been lying there for days." He laughed. "You must think of better excuse Yonghwa."

 

"Leave me alone."

 

Thinking of himself, not playing anymore made him vulnerable. Ok, therapies and operations will make him better in the future. But he just lost his confidence. He let his Dad down, the national team, Woobin gave up his career for him. What else are the outcome of his stupidity?


"What a trash." He whispered to himself as Woobin walked out to his room. He tried kick the blanket on his feet but he failed.
He stared at his phone, he just realized there is no one he can reach or talk to.
No loving family, friends, at least he got Woobin. But after that, there's nothing left for him.

 


He begin to reminisce that day, when he first got his first hoop.

 

"Look Dad, I just made the ball way up there!" A bubbly, kid Yonghwa shouted in joy. "I'm going to be the youngest player of the national team and I'm gonna make you proud, Dad!"

 

"That's what you are living for, Jung." His Dad said.


"I wished Mom is seeing us today." He giggled.

 

His Dad didn't answered back, he step back and made a flawless shot in front of his son. "You need to forget what happened yesterday, so you can be the best today. Don't ever forget that, Jung." He glared at little Yonghwa. "Don't ever mention your Mom from now on."

 


Little Yonghwa didn't respond words but just a mere nod.

 

 

 

"Mom.."


That's the first time he called Mom since that day. He stared at his phone and scrolled, crazily thinking he might have a number of his Mom.

First of all, he doesn't even know if she's alive and having a great time, or she's way long dead like he feels. Right now, he just want someone to talk to, a stranger would do. His Mom would do.


His life revolves in a ball.
He's nothing when he wasn't on the court. His hands are terrified without the ball in it. His sweats are nothing if they aren't coming from severe training. What now? What now?

 

He pushed the the button and after a few minutes his doctor went to see him. He was lying comfortably, but he's body and mind aren't at ease.


"Jung Yonghwa."


He looked at the doctor. "Don't hit around the bush, just tell me if I can't play. Tell me now." He felt a pain on his heart.


"You can play." His doctor said. "But not now, I can't tell when. It's up to you."


"Don't give me that look."


"I've been your doctor, Yonghwa. You need to get over this pain, for you to play again. Stop doubting yourself, as your Dad always giving you." He sighed. "You love this so much, but you need to love yourself way more better. Don't be the slave for basketball."

 

"No one loves me. How can I love myself?" He cried.


"That's the point, no one gives you love so you must do it for yourself."


"Tell my Dad I will not play anymore. I'll quit everything about basketball, since I'm a trash now."

 

His doctor went nearer to him. "Don't say that, you can still recover. Be the basketball the slave for you, not the other way around."

 

"Doctor, you don't know the feeling being left by the thing you love and treasured the most. So shut the up and leave me." he shouted in tears.


"You don't understand what you are saying." He tried to tapped Yonghwa's shoulder.


"Maybe. But I meant every single thing."