v

Keep Shining My Star

 


"You should stop going to my stand. If your Mom catch those paper bags on your bag again, you are so dead!" Aunt Fona said to me, while I'm on her stand waiting for my favorite blueberry cream cheese waffle. I knew Aunt Fona since I am eight years old, she was still white haired lady back then. She came from France and got married to a Korean man and lived here. It is been fourteen years since I knew Aunt Fona, she saw me being a girl who cries when I get tripped every time I had wrong balances. Aunt Fona, who's hair now turned to gray is still there to make my favorite blueberry cream cheese. 


"Aunt Fona, I can't live without this." I giggled, trying to gain some sympathy. "This is my favorite since I was just like this." I pointed out the height of the table. "I will never get caught of Mom. I promise." 


"You are such a silly lady." 


"Well, I am." I admit. "Aunt Fona, I'm going to London soon." 

 

She opened the thing that separate us, she hugged me oh so tight that I can feel her full chest on mine. She's so sweet, like her blueberry cream cheese.  "You're Mom must be so proud of you." She tapped my head. "And at last, your effort will never put to waste. You've been such a silly passionate girl and now a silly passionate lady going to get her dreams to London." She wept. "I'm so proud of you." 


"Aunt Fona, you're so cute when you wept like that. I can feel your french accent." I tried to light up the moment. "From now on, until I go to London, you must give me free blueberry cream cheese." 

 

"I will, just don't make your Mom see." She laughed. "Or else your diet is ruined." 

 

I got the waffle wrapped with paper. "I will enjoy this, Aunt Fona." 

 

 

 

"Oh, you're here also." Aunt Fona diverted her glance to someone on my back. I don't know who is this guy that I think Aunt Fona loves than me. I glanced to him, his look are intact with Aunt Fona. 

 

 

"I rushed here after game ended." He smiled to Aunt Fona, I was neglected this second. I don't know if I'll go ahead and say good bye to Aunt Fona or get acquainted to them. 

 

Aunt Fona tapped his shoulder. "You must be so tired." She smiled. "I'm sorry I didn't get to watch because you know I'm running a business after all." 

 

"It's okay, as long as you know what I really wanted every after game." 

 


"Aunt Fona, I should get going." I whispered a bit, and they heard me. 

 

The guy finally glanced at me. He didn't smile or even give a hint of happiness. After a short glance he went to Aunt Fona. 

 

 

"Lady, you're going now? By the---

 

I didn't intend to be disrespectful to Aunt Fona and to the guy but I'm feeling that I need to go. I walked faster and never turn my back. 

 

 

 

 


"Speak up, you're talkative." Aunt Fona said to Yonghwa. "I know you, Yonghwa." 

 

"I'm just tired, Aunt Fona." He smiled. "And my thoughts are all about the blueberry cream cheese you are doing for me." 

 


"Jesus heavens! Why I didn't realized this thing way way earlier?" She blurted. 

 

"About what?" Yonghwa asked. 

 

"Lady and you are so much alike!" She grinned. "Lady, the one who's with me."

 

"She loves blueberry cream cheese, she's passionate, hardworking. Like you." She added. 

 

 

He didn't respond but he looked at the path Shinhye passed through. 

 

"Aunt Fona, I'm going to Japan soon." He informed. 

 

"Lady said she's going to London soon too." She display a very playful grin. "You should meet her personally. I will make a way." 

 

"Aunt Fona, you sell waffles and you don't work in a dating agency. And I'm not interested about those things." He cleared. 

 

Aunt Fona hummed. "You said so. I knew you every since you are eight years old, honey. You love basketball so much but I think you need to love other things too. As much as you love basketball." She wrapped his waffle. "Here." 

 


"Thanks." He smiled. "I skipped eating this yesterday." He hugged Aunt Fona. "See you tomorrow." He waved his hand and slowly walked away. 

 

***

 

 

"Mom, what are those baggages?" I asked when I saw bunch of big baggages on our living room. "Are you going somewhere?" 


She closed the zipper of the last bag and stood up. "This is your stuffs." She said. "You off to London the day after tomorrow." 

 

I bit my lip. "What?" 


"You heard me loud and clear Park Shinhye."  

 

"Why so sudden?" I can't help but to tear up. "I love going there but not like this. I still have a life here, it's not that I put all of these to trash and start a new." 

 

"You need to go there as soon as possible." She commanded again. "Like the early bird catches the worm."

 

"What for Mom? I got in. I was the chosen one for crying out loud!" I shouted in tears. "Why you always possess such trait that as if everyone will take everything away from you even you grasp it in your own hands?" I asked in despair. "Mom, stop being like this." 

 


"Because they will take everything away from you, even you call it yours." She bitterly said. "You should know it by now, Park Shinhye." 

 


"But you are pushing me away, Mom." 

 

"You should get freshen up do your routines before you fly to London." She said. "And that's final."

 

And that's final. When my Mom state those words, it is really the end. She controls me, she's handling like a human doll and let me do things. To be honest, I gone up being ballerina because of her. It's not that I hate ballerina back then, because I really fell in love when I first sway my waist. But my Mom should let me discover on my own that I love ballet, she should let myself realize I love dancing. Not because she pushed on this path. 


Maybe if it was me who learned and pushed myself to ballet, I am more satisfied with my own art.
Maybe if it was me, I should be one controlling my own self and making my own decisions.