xxxi

Keep Shining My Star


I ran to Yonghwa and clung my arm on his. He is not saying anything. I grinned widely and faced him while we are walking. Still. No reponse.
I am laughing in my mind. He's really cute, jealous and controlling. I've already said I love you to him, but he's still jealous to Woobin, happen to be my best buddy. Like an older brother. And me like her little sister. He always talks like that, but seems that this greedy man of mine can't get over how Woobin ruffled my hair. 


"I waited for you, got tired and went back." He sighed. "And then I'll see you smiling prettily with Woobin. That's cruel." 


"They said you are a thick face man." I grinned. 

He stopped. "What?"

"I'm on my way to you then I heard someone saying you are a thick face man." I said to him. "I defended you, I said you aren't like that. You are just a greedy, controlling man." Let me minus the last sentence I made, I find it cute though. "Then someone nearly punched me, don't you know? And you are like this not talking--

 

He pulled me for a tight hug. I don't know why he is doing this to me everything I am on verge of explaining. He always cut me, and then making me this loved. "I'm sorry.." He said softly. "I'm just jealous." He said honestly. 


"Keep getting jealous, I actually liked it. You're really cute." I giggled. 

"It's not that I don't trust you--


Now, it's my time to shushed him from explaining. I placed my finger on his soft lips. "I trust you. Don't explain a thing. I understand you." I said and winked at him. "Let's go! Time to show off, Jung!" I said his last name, like the teams and players call their last name to each other. He placed his arm on my shoulder. 


"Fast learner?" He asked.

"That's a foul. Too much contact." I winked at him again. Playing. 

"Then how many fouls til I get out?" He asked. 

 

I stuck my tongue out. "I decide." I chuckled at him. 


***


"He's really back." 

I heard someone said, as we are entering the court. I am holding Yonghwa's towel for his sweat. He is walking while his head is down facing the floor. I wanted to lift them up but I'll let him decide. 


"Basketball superstar is back!!" Woobin cheered, he run to us with a ball. He winked at me, then stared at Yonghwa. "You are back." He said. 


Yonghwa sighed. He stared at me for a little while, I give him my best smile to encourage him. "Yes, I am back." He said, shyly. 


Woobin laughed so hard. "Jung Yonghwa, is that you? You are not showing off. Stop being like that, that is not you." Woobin dragged my hand but Yonghwa is much faster to take it away. "That is the Jung Yonghwa,  I know." Woobin last said and put the ball on Yonghwa's chest. "Game on, your Dad is watching." He left us. 

 

"Hey.." I whispered. "Go, knocked them all. And I haven't see you playing the real basketball, personally." I kissed his cheek. "I'm just here." I tapped his back, he replied a smile. 

 


He turned his back and went to the court. His eyes are full of energy and inspiration. Woobin and the other players are waiting. 
And his Dad too. 
Watching. 


He grabbed the ball and start running. He glanced at his Dad, watching him with no emotions. His Dad's arms are crossed like he is watching him, watching him if he'll make a mistake. He begin dribbling, and again he felt he's not really a hundred percent healed. He is still in pain, he's been doing this same routine for weeks now. Since he got out of the hospital. He is been training every day, but his body seemed not getting any better. He's limping, but he can't make anyone saw it. 
Not his Dad.
Not Woobin.
And obviously not the person who made him play again, Shinhye. 


He was distracted by his Dad's whistle. That familiar tone of his Dad's whistle. He automatically went to his Dad, panting. Not saying anything. 

"Why are you here?" His Dad asked. 

His heart shattered, he wasn't expecting that his Dad will hug him or such but asking why he is here is really cruel. "I am Jung Yonghwa." He hence, said with pure passion on his eyes. 

"And?"

"I'm going to be the Jung Yonghwa I wanted. Not the Jung Yonghwa you wanted." He said clearly. "I'm going to be the best, because that's what I wanted to be, not because you want me to be the best." 


"Yonghwa!" Woobin shouted and run to him and his Dad. "Hello, Coach Jung." He bowed. 


His Dad never looked at Woobin. "Jung Yonghwa..." He said. 

"Dad, thank you. I'm thankful enough for making me like this. I'm now seeing my worth. The one I wanted to be." He bowed. "Let's go, Woobin. Shinhye is waiting for me." 


"Jung Yonghwa!" His Dad shouted. 


He never glanced back. 


***


"I heard your Dad shouted your name when we are at the court." I said, while we are digging some blueberry cream cheese on Aunt Fona's stand. "What happened out there?"

He is eating the waffle like a little kid, cream cheese are scattered on his mouth, I wiped it away. He grinned. "Same old stuffs." 

"Same old stuffs like?" I pouted. 

"Don't worry about that." He said. "You are not eating your waffle, let me have some bite." He act like getting a bite but I take it away from his mouth. 

 

"Kids! What are you doing?!" Aunt Fona said, she's surprised that we are going on her stand together. "Yonghwa, I have so much spare waffles here. Why are you taking a bite on Lady?" 


"Lady?" Yonghwa asked. "Why Aunt Fona calling you Lady?" 

"Same old stuffs." I giggled. 

"Like what?" He asked. 

 

"Yonghwa, I call him Lady because she dance like a lady." Aunt Fona's expression suddenly change. "I'm sorry, Lady.." 

 

I smiled at Aunt Fona. "No need to be sorry, Aunt Fona." I winked at him. "Don't dare calling me Lady, Yonghwa." 


"It's getting cold, kids." She went to me and brush my hands. She's so sweet, like her waffles. "Winter is around the corner." She begin to gather all her utensils and trying to cleaned all the dirt from her stand. "Maybe I'll come back again on spring. Winter is a season that cease all our work." She sighed. "Don't you think I'm right, kids?" 


"Yeah, but I think it's the best season, by the way." Yonghwa said. "Do you like winter?" He asked me. 

 

"Kids, look." Aunt Fona blurted. "Winter is officially here." 


I stared at the falling snow, delicate and soft. This is the first time I saw the first snowing day. I'm always locked up in a four cornered room, dancing and not caring whether it is winter or even summer. 
But now, I felt alive.

I am alive.