xxix

Keep Shining My Star


I rested on his broad shoulders as I sit beside him. I really wanted some comfort. Norie and Mom seem that their fight will never cease until something bad happen. I am smiling at him but my heart felt so heavy because the people I love, which is Norie and Mom doesn't have in the same page decades from now. "I don't want to talk now. I'm sleepy." I said to Yonghwa. 


He cupped my eyes, I can see pitch black. "Then sleep. I'll cover your eyes enough, the sun is still high." He softly said to me. 

"T-thanks." I was touched by his gesture. I let him cover my eyes. But the more I tried to sleep, my eyes keep getting wet. Tears are coming down. I'm so moved, I started to think revenge should never been my first motive.  I was wrong. Back then. Now, all I see is pitch black but my heart shines like they will never be tomorrow. 

He never responded, I know he can feel my falling tears but he just keep on covering them. So no one will see. We kept on that position till my eyes run dry. I had a solemn crying, thanks to him. 


"You can sleep now." He said. "It's getting dark actually, and cold." 

"Really?" I asked, "Then uncover my eyes now, since it is dark."

"Will not." He pulled me closer. "I don't to see those swollen red eyes. I might kill those who pained you." He chuckled. 

"I didn't cry." I chuckled too. 

"Yeah, you didn't." 

"You want to know why I feel like this?" I asked. 

"Of course I'm dying to know. But if you don't want then it's ok." 


I want to be as open as the sky for him. I want him to know all the things about me, and him on me. I want that from now on. "My Mom is like your Dad." I paused. "Don't get me wrong, okay? My Mom always pushed me to the edge, 'stopping is never an option', giving up is never on vocabulary' - something like that. I've always understand her, but it hurts me to death seeing her letting me drown in pain." He's still covering my eyes. "Then Norie came along, she let me experienced the life I wanted to be. Simple and happy. The bottomline is my Mom and Norie never been in one peace book. They always bring back the past I never know what happened. It pains me to see the one I love fighting for the thing that doesn't exist now."


He didn't respond, as if he's just listening carefully to me. And I liked that, he never argue. 

Silence placed in between of us. I even hear him sighing. His hand was still covering my eyes. 
"Not gonna say a thing?" 

 

"How many times I said I'm not going to play basketball again?" He asked me. 


I realized he's opening up too. And I liked that. I want that. I love that.  "Million times?" 

"Right, million times. But not a single word was spoke by my heart." He sighed. "You are the first person who followed me, smiled at me and said Play, Yonghwa, Play. You don't know how much I loved to hear that. You even waited for me, that made my heart burst in pieces without being broken. We are both strangers but why I felt so comfortable when you're around? And the thing is, I don't like you being in pain. I just want you smiling. I just want you happy with me." He slowly uncover my eyes, yes it is night already. "Stop hurting yourself, Shinhye. Because the pain is tripled to me. I don't want you crying." 


If we are opening our hearts to each other now? Why I don't have the urge to say about the accident? Why it felt that something is pushing me not to say those? I don't want to hurt him, I don't wanna hurt myself also. 
If only we can just forget that nightmare. 
Because now, I am dreaming a very calm dream. 


"Then get up and start playing. Start showing that you have the heart of being in court again. I know you can do it." I said. "That's the thing you can do for me. Play." 


Yes, that's the only thing he can do for me. Since I can't dance anymore, I want him to be the best on basketball. I started to gaze at the stars. They are shining so brightly for an autumn night. "Maybe when winter comes we can't see stars. Yonghwa, look up. You might miss them." I said to him, smiling.


Hence, he didn't look above. He looked at me, and those eyes of him sparkled like fireworks in the pitch black sky. I returned the passion in his eyes, I stared at him also. I guess our heartbeats are like harmonious melody played only by the strings of love. 
Like a stranger, like Yonghwa, who went on my life like a thief in a dawn.
Like a star at night, that no one would know how much they will shine upon us.
Like a ballerina, that never look back to the pain that is aching while dancing.
Like a basketball player, that never regret shooting a buzzer beater. 

He came like a thief and got my whole life. I planned revenge but suffered from despair made by me. 


He caressed my cold cheeks. I smiled at him. "I said look at the stars." I said to him. 

"You are that person, that made me neglect the stars above, because you is more than enough to shine upon me." He said softly, his eyes sparkled again, this time because they were tears inside it. 

And that moment, he kissed me.
He touch my lips by his lips.
He kissed my pain away. He kissed those despair and regret. 

Unconsciously, I am kissing him back. I want him to know how much I wanted to be with him. 
I want him to know even how much I keep myself from getting on drowning, I can't.
I want him to know, now, how much I love him. 

This maybe the fastest decision I made in my whole life, loving a person that caused me to lose my dream. This maybe the fastest, but the most clear thing I have made in my whole life. 


Loving Jung Yonghwa.