Hoseok: In One Word

OneSS

A/N: a little inspiration that came to mind. Comepletly fiction.
Characters: Makita Hikari and Jung Hoseok

 

 


I always loved working in the library. First, it was quiet. No one would bother you and you can finish work much more faster. Secondly, there is a lot more work space, if you grab a good desk in time. Try working on your computer on a kitchen table where the space isn't occupied with dishes still never put away since the day before. Out of the blue, but you get the idea. And third...well, there wasn't any.


So, me going to the library was kind of my daily routine to do. It's just a walk right from my own home, therefore it was good when it came to transporting. My mom, she never understood why I loved going there. “Why don't you just go work in your room? You don't need to always go out,” she would say to me.


But of course, she would never understand. Because no matter how much she tried, she just didn't get my view in personal space. “I like the library better. Besides, you always complain about me never going out anyway.” thus, our little argument ended like that.

The librarian there knew me after the frequent visits, which I end up becoming friends with. “Going upstairs to work again. Makita?”


I nodded. “You know me.” I smiled, pointing at my messenger bag. She laughed.


“Well, I just checked and that spot isn't occupied.” she winked at me. Giggling I told her thanks and headed up the stairs quietly. I always sat at the far corner of the room, behind the bookshelves and where I had a good view of the neighborhood area. For some reason it just calms me, watching people past by and how beautiful the sky looked so bright in the day.


I took out my notebook and began to write, but in the corner of my eye I see a familiar boy strolling past the library. I only saw his dark hair, but just when he looked up he caught my gaze and smiled. His name is Jung Hoseok, also a regular person who comes to the library every so often. We meet up a few times, enough that we just grew to know each other now. I watched as he came up to the second floor and knew exactly where I would be without a second thought.


“Funny thing Maki,” he gave me that nickname, I found it cute not going to lie. “I went to the nearby cafe and used my membership card, and turns out I reached enough points for a free beverage.” he handed me an caramel macchiato. I stared down down in disbelief, holding it in my hands.

 

“Wait, you're just going to give this to me?” I say.


“What a coincidence, because when I got it the first thing I thought was to give it to you, and it just so happened that you were at the library.” he smiled cheekily. I looked away, blushing by the comment. Mumbling a thanks I took a sip, to which I heard him chuckle.
We chatted for a bit, as I explained to him that I was currently writing an entry in my article, for I was a journalist in Japan. “It's a year end article I make every end of my vacation each time I visit South Korea, this time here in Gwangju. I'm not sure how to end my conclusion's last paragraph though.” I sighed.


“I'm sure you'll finish it in time. You're always so focused. And smart. And witty.” I gave him a look before bursting into a scoff of a laugh; snapping at Hoseok to shut up. “It's true!”


“Yeah, yeah.” I say. That was how our little 'relationship' worked, he would always talk non-stop, but I didn't mind. It was nice listening to him. I felt at ease. By the end of the day I would tend to go back home with such a happy feeling, almost a light flutter in my stomach. I wasn't sure how to explain it, but I only experienced it whenever I hung out with Hoseok.


The very next day when I came to the library, he didn't come. Nor the day after that. Almost a whole week I didn't see him, which was odd. I assumed he got sick and left it as that, which soon I focused back to my entry. I had to for my own sake, because I end up thinking about him more than I need to.


It was soon the evening on Friday, which I didn't realize how much time has gone by. I quickly grabbed my things and just when I was about to pass the front the librarian called me: “Makita,wait!” stopping I turned around to see her handing me a cup of caramel macchiato. “a boy outside told me to give you this. Weird, huh?” but already upon hearing that I dashed out the doors.


I see Hoseok sitting at a bench, head pointed at the sky. I was able to catch my breath back before calling his name. When he saw me he grinned; and holding the cup firmly in my hand I walked closer.


“Was it another free drink this time?” I asked. He too stood up and approached me, until we were just a metre apart. The evening breeze picked up and made the leaves on the trees sway in a gentle dance around us.


“Not this time, no.” the glint in his eyes told me all. “I got it because I thought of you again. Because I like you.”

 

~~~


I finally finished my entry. I made sure to edit quickly, especially my overall conclusion, before submitting it.


There was only one feeling I could describe being in Gwangju. It gave a light happiness just by the first encounter. A melody of nature all around you that sounds soothing to your ear. Unexpected surprises that lead you to wonderful adventures. What is this feeling you say? I realize it now:

 

Gwangju makes you feel in love.